Very new MMOer here

Very new MMOer here

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Olney.2584

Olney.2584

Hey everyone,

I just bought GW2 today because a friend of mine who’s been playing has been constantly pestering me to get it. GW2 will be one of my first “real” MMOs that I will be playing. I’ve played a few in the past but not to an extent- so I’m hoping to play GW2 for all it has to offer (hitting max level, all dungeons, etc).

However, I’m really new and have no idea where to start. Obviously my friend is going to help me, but is there any other tips, suggestions, and advice that anyone can offer? Right now I am debating on what is a good class. I’ve read reviews that tanks (are those warriors?) and healers (?) are not good for newcomers due to the fact that they do not get full EXP from parties?

Thanks!

Very new MMOer here

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

First off, welcome to Guild Wars 2!

While there are options to make your character more tank-like or more healer-like, you shouldn’t aim to make your character strictly in that role. GW2 aims to do away with rigid character roles, so your character should be able to handle a little bit of everything.

I would actually recommend a Warrior if this is your first foray into MMO’s. Warriors are tough, deal considerable damage, and are relatively straightforward to play. You won’t really have much trouble in PvE as a Warrior, and as you gain more levels, you can build them into a variety of roles such as raw damage (which most Warriors go for), tanking and defense (focusing on Toughness and Vitality) or even group support with Shouts and Banners.

I’m not sure what the reviews you’ve read are talking about, but all XP for members of a party is shared equally. It doesn’t matter if you did 0 damage in the battle and just stood at the back ressing fallen allies; you’ll still gain the same XP as everyone else in your party.

If you’re NOT in a party, then yes, XP will be lesser if you’re doing group events, because the game requires you to do damage equal to a minimum of 5% of the enemy’s health in order for it to tag you as a “participant”, but if you’re in a party, as long as one member of the party was a participant, everybody in the party gets the rewards (both loot and XP).

Very new MMOer here

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

First, you have to understand that there are no tanks and healers in GW2. Everyone needs to deal damage, support, and tank at some point. And as long as you have dealt damage to mobs (about 5 to 10% of their health), you get exp, so don’t be afraid to help others even if the mobs are close to dying.

Generally warrior is the best profession/class for new comers. It has the highest health pool and available armor defense possible, so you will die a lot less than playing other squishier classes like thief or elementalist.

Here are some useful tips for new comers, be sure to take a look.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OMG-If-you-only-knew-this-tips-for-new-players/first

Very new MMOer here

Posted by: Olney.2584

Olney.2584

Wow, thanks a lot. I decided to go for the Norshan Warriors. I’m surprised at how amazing the community has been so far and I’m anxious to start playing. Right now I’m downloading so I’m taking some time to get learn more about the game before starting.

Very new MMOer here

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

GW2 doesnt have A real in game tutorial, but I would recommend watching the manual: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/manual/

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Very new MMOer here

Posted by: hithlain.4385

hithlain.4385

A guardian could be also a good choice. Deals a fair amount of damage (and close to a warrior if going the dps way – less burst but more consistent damage), and tough as well…

Very new MMOer here

Posted by: normyp.8671

normyp.8671

Promise you, do not take warrior or guardian if you don’t enjoy very boring fights where you basically do the same thing over and over. I recommend a more difficult class like thief or engineer because, okay you’ll be less powerful and die more, but the fights offer way more and are more enjoyable imo. One thing I’d really like to say is don’t aim for level 80, aim to enjoy the game. Anet have created a brilliant WORLD, with jumping puzzles etc. and when you ignore classic MMO goals like end game, dungeons it becomes a lot of fun.

My first play through I played in runescape mode, I went and farmed stuff and it was boring. I started a thief and layed back, I did events, did heart quests, went to different starting zones and it was much more enjoyable.

Very new MMOer here

Posted by: Chomp.2418

Chomp.2418

When I started playing, this was not my first MMO. However, that doesn’t mean I was never a noob! It took me about a week to get a hang of things. Like someone else said, I recommend a thief. They’re more difficult, but I, too, have noticed they are more fun (imo). Although if you want something a little more balanced (like, again, someone else said), I’d go with a guardian. I recently started one and am amazed at how they have a bit of everything. You’ve got your heals, damage, CC (crowd control (i.e. stuns)), etc. They’re pretty well-off in combat. And with your friend’s help, I’m sure you’ll become a pro in no time!
Also, if you haven’t already, I’d check out this other GW2 forum; has plenty of helpful tips you will need to learn eventually.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OMG-If-you-only-knew-this-tips-for-new-players/first

Meteor Song
Human Guardian
Team We Flop Friendships [GDI]

Very new MMOer here

Posted by: Alf.9137

Alf.9137

Hey there Olney and warm welcome to a great game

I recommend playing a few likely professions up to 10.. then to 20 and so on until you find ones that suit your playstyle, aesthetics etc and you find fun to play We have 5 character slots as default and daily achievements cross over characters so you can continue those daily gathering/kills/events to reach the achievement and get your reward

I’m pretty new (though played other MMORPG’s) and loving the game, community and the professions – found them all fun in different ways.

The stickies at top of this forum are really great – especially the OMG-If-you-only-knew.. (See signature for link to it also). Also searching youtube for GW2 vids can be a great help to give you an idea of playstyle, how to move, dodge, events etc etc.

Finally, once you find professions you like or consider liking – check out the profession forums for more in-depth answers and you’ll often see a thread on best leveling builds or how to start with that profession and those expert in the profession answer them well.

Happy adventuring and we’re here to help

Have fun!

Very new MMOer here

Posted by: Noppy.1348

Noppy.1348

Hey Olney, welcome to Tyria

As most people allready told you, take your time to enjoy the game/world.
There is a ton off stuff to do in Tyria, and if you go out and enjoy yourself, the levels will come automatically.
Don’t go reading to much on how to play yout chosen profession, just learn it as you progress trough the game. I found myself that this is the best way to know what your char can do and how you must/will play.
GW2 is not a gear grind, it largely depends on how you play your profession that will make you “stronger” and more able to survive the mobs.

As for finding a good profession, go with what you think you would like. Some peopel have mentioned Warrior as a good starting prof, and i agree. Also Ranger is not that hard to learn. If you go for thief, mesmer, ele; those are the profs that are a bit harder to learn and you still need to learn how Tyria works. So a easier way is to take one off the easier to learn profs and later, when you know how hte world works, try the harder profs. But in the end, its up to you to find the profession that you like and want to level to 80 and beyond.

And a good group off friends also helps in enjoying the game. I’m not recruiting you for our guild, but when you want some compagny, just check out the link in my signature and maybe you want to join in our project

Anyway, enough rambling, i wish you a good time in Tyria and see you ingame maybe sometime!

Very new MMOer here

Posted by: Bubby.6475

Bubby.6475

In your inventory theres a button at the top right that “deposit collectibles”. Press when full.

FFWC forum moderators. :)