Warrior isn't as enjoyable as I thought

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: DJDeadly.1539

DJDeadly.1539

As the title says. I have leveled up a Warrior to 30 but it was kind of a pain in the kitten . I felt like I was forcing myself to play with it’s kit which was not enjoyable at all. It wasn’t challenging at all.

Will the class feel more enjoyable later on or should I just restart with another one? Which classes are fun to play?

Posted by: Hattoni.8597

Hattoni.8597

I think it depends on how do YOU define ‘fun class’. For some guardian, even more – bunker uber tanking guardian would be great, for me it’s boring. For some mobility is a key so those people would take – in example – thief. For others then it is challenge and class complexity – so they pick engineer or elementalist. There is also a group of people who always take summoners – so they pick MM necro or ranger with his pets.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

You left out the most fun profession of all – mesmer.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

The thing with Warrior (please note, only in my personal opinion!) is that it’s fun to “smash face” every so often, and when I just want to sit back and watch big numbers but not have to really engage in any way, then Warrior is fun to play. However, that doesn’t keep me entertained for long, and then I start to find the Warrior boring (note, this may or may not apply to dungeons, where you do need to pay more attention).

Other classes that require more engagement to play well, such as Thief, Elementalist or Mesmer are more enjoyable for me when I’m looking to get absorbed in the game.

But this all depends on what you, personally, find fun in a game – what are you looking to get out of it? If you like big numbers and killing things as quickly as possible, then Warrior is great once you level up a bit. If you like to put a bit more thought into how you spec your class and experiment with different skills, you may prefer a different class. If you like pets, Ranger or Necromancer (with minions) might be your cup of tea. If you like laying waste with conditions and massive AoE, Necromancer, or if you like mobility and dashing in and out while having low health then Thief or Elementalist could be what you are looking for. Engineer offers great experimentation with builds, Mesmer has illusions, blinks, loads of reflect etc. It’s just about how you want to play.

If you have the character slots, I’d suggest trying out a few to level 20 and seeing what you prefer (or just keep deleting and re-rolling). It doesn’t take long to get to 20 and by that time you may have a better idea about what style of play you prefer.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve played around with all the classes (although some only at low levels) and personally I’ve found the warrior the simplest of them all. Which some people love, but other people do find boring.

All the other professions have more complicated profession mechanics and generally require you to use your full range of skills and be aware of all the effects of those skills in order to be effective in combat. So I think for you any of them would be an improvement.

If you really want to go the other way I’d recommend either elementalist or engineer. Elementalists don’t have weapon swap but they have 4 attunements which gives them 4 different sets of weapon skills and you will need to use them all at least occasionally. They also have the lowest combined health and armor so you’ll need to keep dodging and moving around the battle to stay alive. But they can also have the highest DPS and a good ele can be really hard to kill so they’re definitely not a weak class.

Engineers likewise can’t swap weapons but they can use up to 3 kits which work the same way and you’ll need to use at least 1. They also get an extra 4 skills on the F keys and again need to use them regularly. They’re not as in demand for dungeons as eles (although some people really like them) but I’ve heard they’re popular for PvP.

Both are challenging to play, but also really fun if you like that.

But the best approach is probably to give them all a try, not necessarily all the way to level 80, and see what you enjoy.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

I’ve been playing warrior for little over a year and honestly I’ve never been bored with it. It might be simple at times, but once you understand most classes it’s usually this way. I lvled a mesmer and guard as well, but I haven’t been on my guard in months (got bored with it I guess) and I stopped playing mesmer right after I lvled it coz it was even more boring, all I’d do was pull mobs or drop TW in dungeons, and in WvW I would either portal people through JPs or get killed a lot by thieves etc. My ele was the only other one I liked, but after a while it started to feel boring too. I’d run it for PvE mostly, either stack might and press 1 with hammer (or 2 with staff), and when in corner always spam 3/4 with FGS (basically same thing with warrior). Everyone likes different classes, if you aren’t enjoying one try another. Good luck

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I have all classes at lv80. Warrior is my main, and i hated my ele until 15/4 patch, i rerolled another ele and i found a lot of fun.

Warrior is much simple and strong, but if you got hit on your weak spot, player skill is not gonna help.

While everyone says ele is squish, but i found in a lot of “warrior must die” scenario, ele can survive better.

Why don’t you try an ele instead.

Posted by: Foosnark.1784

Foosnark.1784

Warrior is terribly dull to me.

Guardian is more fun, though when exploring I find I really miss having a permanent run speed boost.

Mesmers are not much fun to level IMHO. I really want to like the staff bouncy AOE condition sort of thing, but in your typical fight against typical grunts in the world it’s just way too slow. Also, no perma run speed buff.

I don’t seem to have the hang of eles for some reason.

I keep forgetting Rangers even exist (and don’t seem that fun to me when I remember).

Engineers have their moments, but until you turn into a grenade-spamming machine at level 80, things can get a bit rough, and I never really settle down with a particular playstyle. Bombs are probably best but I just don’t like playing that way.

I find thieves and necros are fun to level and continue to be fun at 80. Kill speed is good (especially on thieves) and they can be pretty survivable (especially on necros).

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Warrior is the definition of boring to me, but then again I generally don’t ever play heavy armor in your face foot ball quarterback classes in video games.

Elementalist is generally fun, but the build I like (S/X) for it is considered suboptimal in WvW and Spvp.

Necro is pretty terrible in PvE but the most fun class for me in WvW. I love being an AoE death machine there!

Thief is pretty meh to me, I couldn’t get the hang of iniative since playing ele for so long made me spam all my skills, and I’m pretty bad at preplanning bursts and whatnot.

Engineer was pretty fun, but I thought the kits were tacky and made me look like Al Quaeda’s Santa Clause dropping bombs between my legs with a giant sack on my back. So I deleted her.

I recently made a ranger and I really like it a lot so far. I’m not a huge fan of the bow skills, but I really like sword and greatsword. S/D ranger feels a lot like S/D thief, but with crazy leaps instead of teleports, and poison instead of boon steal, and the whole evasive feel is still there.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: Sleazebag.9427

Sleazebag.9427

yeah pretty much i have most fun with a warrior if i try out goofy builds that people don’t really expect. even if they don’t really work it’s fun to watch people go “what the hell is this guy doing”

mesmer is the profession i’m most interested in making to 80 next, but they’re extremely painful to level, especially with the new trait system (that somehow seems to hurt them more than other professions during leveling imho) and there’s a ton of stuff to learn while playing them

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

yeah pretty much i have most fun with a warrior if i try out goofy builds that people don’t really expect. even if they don’t really work it’s fun to watch people go “what the hell is this guy doing”

mesmer is the profession i’m most interested in making to 80 next, but they’re extremely painful to level, especially with the new trait system (that somehow seems to hurt them more than other professions during leveling imho) and there’s a ton of stuff to learn while playing them

Oh they’re not so bad to level, just be sure to use a greatsword (all their other weapons will feel weak at low levels, save them for later). Skill cap is very high though, you will dodge and bounce around like crazy to be effective. Especially compared to a Warrior.

My Mesmer met a regen Warrior today in WvW… I mean seriously. It was like trying to tear down a brick wall. With your tongue. While you’re on fire. And have two broken legs. I couldnt even bring him below 90% HP and he did so much damage in turn I never even stood a chance.

That was right after I had survived around a minute of combat against 6 opponents at once from the same guild and brought all of them down to around 50-75% HP before finally going down myself.

Ugh, some Warriors…

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The major fun I had with my warrior while leveling up was changing out weapons on a regular basis. The huge variety of weapons and their combinations kept me entertained as well as trying out different skill combos (Banner, Signets, Stances, Shouts).

Warrior has a VAST variety of different tools to try out. You will have plenty of time to be a GS / AXE/MACE Zerker when you hit 80, so try out some variations.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

As far as the number of different weapons they are able to use, from most to least:
1. warrior
2. guardian and mesmer
3. ranger
4 necro
5. thief
6. ele
7. engineer

Mesmer, ranger and necro also have minions to use. Elementalits have attunements and engineers have kits. So there are other ways of getting variety in play style beside weapons skills. Professions also have special skills that add interest – shatter for mesmer, steal for thief, …

Until you have tried all these things it’s hard to tell if you will like them or not. Also some professions become more fun to play the higher the level, especially with the addition of traits.

Edit: But when it comes right down to it warrior, guardian and thief are mainly melee and if you prefer ranged combat or spell casters then those probably won’t suit you. But I do really enjoy switching between ranged and melee when swapping weapons.

(edited by Lazuli.2098)

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Facerolling baddies is fun….for about 10 mins. Then it gets old. That’s what warrior is to me. I was enjoying trying all the various weapon combos, and had to switch often to stave off the boredom. Eventually though, it all become pretty monotonous.

I’m playing guardian now (level 63) and it’s mostly better, but there are definitely shortcomings. Yes, it’s more involved than autoattacking and 100-blading. There isn’t quite as wide of a range of weapons as warrior, especially because I dislike shield, scepter, and staff. Its lack of a strong ranged option is annoying, as is its slow run speed. I really miss my constant speed boosts, swiftness, and gap closers galore that warrior has. Having said that, I can still melt faces with guardian, and can keep my noob friend alive.

My favorite classes to play are Mesmer and Engineer. Combat is dynamic and builds are plentiful.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

A Guardian can “faceroll” just as well as a Warrior….don’t see your point. I like playing both….they are different and yet neither are very likely to be taken down in PvE unless you do something stupid.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances