Warrior or Necromancer for a newcomer?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Ryoku.4129

Ryoku.4129

I just now bought this game, and can’t decide between these two professions. Which one would I be better off with, if I wanted to do both PVE and PVP?

Posted by: Pinder.5261

Pinder.5261

Necromancer is generally considered to be on the difficult-to-master end of the stick. But I wouldn’t let that dissuade you. Spend some time learning a class in PvE, spend a little more honing your skills in PvP, and you won’t notice a difference between the ‘easy’ and ‘difficult’ classes.

So choose the one that you feel looks the most awesome. Both do just fine when it comes to play capacity, you have nothing to worry about there.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Truthfully, warrior is much easier to play, much easier to level, and overall a stronger profession. You’d have to want play a necro in order to play a necro.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Necromancer is the second worst Profession right now, second only to the Engineer.

Stupid/weak pets, handicapped by Condition stacking caps, Fear nerf and so on.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: roostapro.9827

roostapro.9827

I would say warrior if you want your first time to be easy.

Then try necro for your second time as by playing the game with
the warrior you will have a good feel for the game.

Personally, I choose elementalist when i first played the game simply because it requires skill, timing & alot of kiting, but IMO, play the class you want to play, you have 5slots so go wild

Eredon Terrace – Voladeir Roost (Ele)|Roosta (War)|Error Occurred (Gua)|Àneskâ Necrötiâ (Nec)
RoostaGW2

Posted by: Amaethon.8710

Amaethon.8710

You’ll want to roll a Warrior.

Çyhyraeth – Sylvari Elementalist – Order Of The Fallen Watch [EXEO] | Darkhaven

Oglaf.1074

I would say warrior if you want your first time to be easy.

I wouldn’t say Warrior is “easy”, Warrior is just more “viable” than Necromancer at the moment.

If you want “easy” I suggest rolling a Guardian.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Raideen.5973

Raideen.5973

Warrior because they do everything well, heck a warrior is a better “ranged” class than 80% of the classes in game.

Posted by: Beatsbury.1827

Beatsbury.1827

Warrior. Definitely. Necro is not for newcomers, to say the least.

Coooo! Stay. Eat. Be well.

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

I find the Necro play style (Minion Master despite all those minion haters out there) to be much more engaging than playing a warrior. I can solo some group event bosses and take on loads of mobs at a time without breaking a sweat.

But like mentioned, you have to want to play a Necro to play a Necro.

Posted by: Crimby.5970

Crimby.5970

Well depends, in my opinion, of you like PVP/WvW or PvE. I like Necromancers in generally a lot, however in Guild Wars 2 I have none. A necromances is in my opinion and experience a strong PvE class. The summons are nice and strong against other mobs.

Since you can use the summons to tank, I guess it’s quite easy to level as well.

When you like PvP/WvW more then PvE (like I do), a warrior would be a better choice. This since the summons of a necro are pretty much useless against other players.

I like my level 80 warrior a lot in WvW and it looks awesome (in my opinion better looking than a necro).

Ruins of Surmia
Godless Crimbz, level 80, Charr, Warrior
God Crimbz, level 80, Sylvari, Mesmer

Posted by: joric.1042

joric.1042

Both classes are enjoyable, necro is the most misunderstood class. IMO 90% of the necro-haters do not know how to play one.

Jorik Nightcloud
Beige(NUDE)
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Warrior is easier because it’s so straight-forward. That being said, I’ve heard a lot of people get bored with their Warrior for that very same fact.

Necro has more issues atm, but is completely viable and more engaging than Warrior.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Oglaf.1074

Both classes are enjoyable, necro is the most misunderstood class. IMO 90% of the necro-haters do not know how to play one.

I’m not a “nerco-hater”, I am a “necro-realist”.

The class has tons of obvious problems.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Necromancer is the second worst Profession right now, second only to the Engineer.

Stupid/weak pets, handicapped by Condition stacking caps, Fear nerf and so on.

Sorry you haven’t figured out how to play a Necro. Mine can kill multiple mobs 2-3 levels above her in PvE. I play all 8 professions and none of them can match my Necro for pure aoe havoc.

Scepter / dagger & Staff. Signets only…no minions. Other than the Elite Flesh Golem, though he isn’t technically a minion.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

(edited by Raf.1078)

Oglaf.1074

If you have an Elementalist that can’t match your Necromancer in pure AoE damage, you’re doing something horribly wrong with that Elementalist.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

If you have an Elementalist that can’t match your Necromancer in pure AoE damage, you’re doing something horribly wrong with that Elementalist.

Ele aoe cast speeds are too slow for my tastes. When they finally get off, they do a lot of dmg. In the meantime, my necro is stacking condition upon condition.

But back to the ops original inquiry. IMO, the Necro is a very viable choice and darn fun to play once you figure it out. It appears, however, that some would rather say it all “broken” without really investigating the class.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Mag Li.2581

Mag Li.2581

I find any melee class hard to master if you need to learn game mechanic at the same time. I always find it easier if there’s a distraction for the enemies, and I find it easier to start with a Ranger for that reason. I get a good look at some of the battle fields while my pet can stand up to most of the lower level mobs. I can go melee with a ranger as well, and get a taste of what that’s like. In my opinion, it takes a whole lot of skills to be an effective warrior, and to me, it is a veteran class.

However, if you are a necromancer at heart, then roll a necro! You’re going to learn this game one way or another, why not start with something you really like. The learning curve will be there regardless of which class you pick.

Mag Li [Oxy]
Part 1/2 of a dynamic duo

Oglaf.1074

However, if you are a necromancer at heart, then roll a necro! You’re going to learn this game one way or another, why not start with something you really like. The learning curve will be there regardless of which class you pick.

And on the bright side, once you hit lvl 80 they might’ve gotten their act together and fixed stuff like Condition caps, eh?

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Mag Li.2581

Mag Li.2581

And on the bright side, once you hit lvl 80 they might’ve gotten their act together and fixed stuff like Condition caps, eh?

The necro is still fun IMHO. It looks like every class has a little bit of issue here and there anyway. My favourite is still the Mesmer and the Engineer.

Mag Li [Oxy]
Part 1/2 of a dynamic duo