What am I supposed to be doing to make money?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Agrias.2391

Agrias.2391

Q:

I’m really curious what I was supposed to be doing to make coin in this game. Since our own player methods clearly didn’t sit well with you, I figured you might as well just come out and tell us how to do it.

Also, don’t tell me to play the trading post. If I wanted to auction house tycoon, I would do it in D3, at least there’s real money there.

Posted by: Gopher.4562

Gopher.4562

A:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Having-problems-netting-money-Don-t-fret

I just wrote this. You can look into that, and it shows some quick tips.

Posted by: Malas.9425

Malas.9425

Personally I find Orr events more profitable then one could think. For the simple reason there are so many mobs and you loot so much you can make 50s in one event easily.

Agrias.2391

Personally I find Orr events more profitable then one could think. For the simple reason there are so many mobs and you loot so much you can make 50s in one event easily.

Except there’s diminishing returns now. And some classes, like mesmers, just suck at tagging mobs.

Posted by: evilbottom.2186

evilbottom.2186

Play the game. Works for me.

Malas.9425

Well I think Chaos Storm works pretty well and there are 3 zones in Orr, so if you hit DR in all 3 zones without making tons of money, then I would agree there really isn’t a clear cut way of making money. In addition, 100% the map will get you tons of gold but I assumed you already did that.

Posted by: Gynxz.4079

Gynxz.4079

Name me one even in which I can get 50s today. I’ll even accept one in which I can make 30s.

And with the amount of people fighting over each other for events you’re lucky if you get credit for half the mobs before they die. Sometimes you get to tag 2 out of a given wave.

So yeah, I’m one of those that don’t believe you so please correct me by naming a single event that can “easily” make me 50s. Unless you are referring to the events the Devs mentioned before in their stream about end game content… the ones that would be zone wide in Orr… those massively events we have yet to see.

Malas.9425

Temple of Balthazar, from the beginning to the end of the chain. The “meta event”.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Do not use waypoints every 5 minutes. There are plenty of people who do not add up how much they actually spend.
And as a corollary, try to die less. That saves waypoint travel too.

Also, while you’re trekking across a zone, you should participate in events you see along the way, and gather up crafting materials from the various nodes you pass. Even if you don’t use them for crafting yourself, just put them up on the Trade Post.

You are even likely to encounter foes along the way. Perhaps you should defeat them and take their loot, instead of rushing past them to get to your “endgame content”.

The secret is that the “endgame” is more than just the dungeons.

Posted by: Gynxz.4079

Gynxz.4079

Oh, so a CHAIN of events. That’s like saying “yeah, you can start the game and equip level 80 gear by leveling just once”, then adding “leveling once from 79 to 80”.

Or saying “you can get money by doing just one achievement”.. then adding “the ‘Discover everything’ achievement”.

Don’t know if you get that much from that chain but its irrelevant since you missed the point by providing falsely/ambiguous/misleading information.

I understand the reasoning behind Anet…starve the client, make them buy gems, same as D3. You are not supposed to make money easily in this game since thats their business model. WoW charges by month so you are not supposed to leave the game w/o consequence there because that’s THEIR business model. Anet has provided a LOT for the purchase fee but their business model relies on a few things:

1. Its hard to get money
  2. Everything is expensive (try getting a cultural set at the level for wich its intended)
  3. Everything is “shiny” so you want all of it
  4. Limited storage (few bags, one common bank, etc)
  5. Multiple items to store. Multiple dungeon currency (badges and crafting items), a lot of crafted materials that don’t count as collectibles, a lot of ‘actions’ that are in the form of an item instead of a skill or menu option like Boosts, salvage kits, pets, etc.

Its a great game, people just need to understand that they have a different business model.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

In addition to my previous post, please see the link to a different thread on this forum, which provides a number of good tips on making money.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/I-m-a-poor-80-gaurdian

In reply to Gynxz, you make it sound like you don’t LIKE to play the game, and you ONLY like getting the rewards for it.

If this is the case, then I guess this is not the game for you. Guild Wars 2 rewards play skill, exploring the game world, playing with others, and joining events. The idea is to do things that are fun, and to get rewards while having fun.

Only being in it for the rewards is okay if you’re talking about a job, but not if you’re talking about a recreational hobby. If you’re not having fun while playing, then I don’t understand why you play at all.

(edited by Jornophelanthas.1475)

Posted by: Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

Acme Tux Serum Six.8520

Oh, so a CHAIN of events. That’s like saying “yeah, you can start the game and equip level 80 gear by leveling just once”, then adding “leveling once from 79 to 80”.

Or saying “you can get money by doing just one achievement”.. then adding “the ‘Discover everything’ achievement”.

Don’t know if you get that much from that chain but its irrelevant since you missed the point by providing falsely/ambiguous/misleading information.

So what you’re saying is you’re angry because you’re not being handed everything on a silver platter. The game is ridiculously easy already, what more do you want?

Agrias.2391

Do not use waypoints every 5 minutes. There are plenty of people who do not add up how much they actually spend.
And as a corollary, try to die less. That saves waypoint travel too.

Also, while you’re trekking across a zone, you should participate in events you see along the way, and gather up crafting materials from the various nodes you pass. Even if you don’t use them for crafting yourself, just put them up on the Trade Post.

You are even likely to encounter foes along the way. Perhaps you should defeat them and take their loot, instead of rushing past them to get to your “endgame content”.

The secret is that the “endgame” is more than just the dungeons.

I’m not asking how to save money, I want to know how to make money. I’m looking for a job to make money, telling me to save on groceries is not the point.

Posted by: GrimShade.8091

GrimShade.8091

Just to play devils advocate, what do you need money for at this point? You ask how you are supposed to earn money without even a thought stated that you even need it. Are you struggling to pay for waypoints, do you not have enough money to buy armor and weapons?

I’ve just been playing the game and I have enough. Granted I don’t go out of my way to horde money that I don’t have a current use for.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I understand the reasoning behind Anet…starve the client, make them buy gems, same as D3. You are not supposed to make money easily in this game since thats their business model. WoW charges by month so you are not supposed to leave the game w/o consequence there because that’s THEIR business model. Anet has provided a LOT for the purchase fee but their business model relies on a few things:

1. Its hard to get money
  2. Everything is expensive (try getting a cultural set at the level for wich its intended)
  5. Multiple items to store. Multiple dungeon currency (badges and crafting items), a lot of crafted materials that don’t count as collectibles, a lot of ‘actions’ that are in the form of an item instead of a skill or menu option like Boosts, salvage kits, pets, etc.

Its a great game, people just need to understand that they have a different business model.

Don’t blame your personal inability to make gold on game design. There are players who are swimming in gold because they’re smart and focus on doing that. If you want gold, it’s there to earn.

I’m personally NOT swimming in gold because I spend it as I earn it. But my holistic style of game play has bought me plenty of gems to spend on frivolous stuff because it makes me happy. If I’d sat on it, I’d have a pretty decent little hoard right now. If I can do that, anyone can.

Agrias.2391

1. Its hard to get money

Don’t blame your personal inability to make gold on game design. There are players who are swimming in gold because they’re smart and focus on doing that. If you want gold, it’s there to earn.

I’m personally NOT swimming in gold because I spend it as I earn it. But my holistic style of game play has bought me plenty of gems to spend on frivolous stuff because it makes me happy. If I’d sat on it, I’d have a pretty decent little hoard right now. If I can do that, anyone can.

I was able to make money doing the things that I normally do, like running dungeons, before the nerf. I was able to make money selling certain things on the trader, until everyone decide to sell stuff for 1 copper over vendor price. I was able to make money vendoring food, until they disabled that also. I was able to farm DEs for some money while alt tabbing to do other things, until they took that away from me also.

You know what this reminds me of? FF14’s initial “fatigue system” that stopped people doing the things they wanted to do in order to lengthen the grind in the name of “fairness” to the less hardcore people. Artificially “diversifying” content by forcing people to do other less efficient things.

Posted by: mangarrage.1062

mangarrage.1062

well I also being a mesmer came across a similar “tagging mobs topic” and I thought all we have is chaos storm and the cooldown is too long

So I, for events only, am using staff and greatsword
First wave I send the berskerer in then staff
2nd wave I chaos storm

Works pretty good. Have to get used to the timing though
That is ofc for when there are alot of people doing the event, but I have alot more success like that

Posted by: Yata.8932

Yata.8932

I just have to say, if you could be wealthy in no time , you’d be done with this game in two days, and not play it until the next expansion. they don’t want that, they want people to actually be in the game most of the time, you’ll get your shiny eventually, just not in a day.

Agrias.2391

I just have to say, if you could be wealthy in no time , you’d be done with this game in two days, and not play it until the next expansion. they don’t want that, they want people to actually be in the game most of the time, you’ll get your shiny eventually, just not in a day.

This isn’t even about getting wealthy, most of the current things you can do, the amount of time you spend on it and the reward you get is way out of whack. You need to do 3 DEs to even cover the cost of teleporting to the zone to begin with let alone begin making profit. You die once and you need to do 1 DE to recover the repair cost for that death, assuming you don’t die on that one also. Some dungeons are just plain broken.

Posted by: RShara.3265

RShara.3265

Farm fine crafting materials

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I wish there were more dynamic events or things going on in the middle zones. Newbie land was pretty good.

I find money trickles in at least as fast as I need it. But I don’t pay more than a couple coppers over vendor price for anything (so wear a mix of green and yellows).

When money was tight, I quit crafting. It’s been fine since then. If I ever needed to raise money, the blue crafting mats sell for a lot.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I know this sounds silly, but the best way to make money is to not spend it.

In a couple hours I usually make 50s. It’s not a lot, but I don’t need much to keep going. I also check for buyers on any Greens+ in the trading post. There are a lot of things that are no-effort money makers because people have put in orders for stuff. You can just sell it with a click of a button and make profits.

Unidentified dyes, for instance, sell right away for a hair under 6s each. I get a couple of these a day.

The only stuff I’ve spent any money on so far is a set of lvl 80 gear and weapons when I hit the cap, but I had 7G to spend (spent 6) from saving the entire level process. I got all rares, and and a couple exotic weapons.

For the record: Most of the exotic gear and weapons all provide basically the same thing with different looks. The bow I have was the cheapest lvl 80 exotic bow, but it has the same stat boosts as some of the mid priced and high priced exotics. Granted some of them (The Lover, etc) are needed for legendary crafting, but some of the ones that people buy simply for looks are going for over 20g, while mine is sitting at 2g with the same stat boosts.

Posted by: Durid.8014

Durid.8014

I agree that some fees(travel, repair, etc.) are ridiculous, but it is easy to make money in this game…. if you grind. Taking into consideration that ArenaNet said this game would not be about grinding, I think there should be many more options for making money. I haven’t really gotten into doing dungeons yet, but I always hear people complaining about how often you die on explorer mode and how expensive the repairs are. Maybe ArenaNet should remove the repair cost inside dungeons? They should also consider removing it or significantly lowering the repair cost in WvWvW. Sometimes you get into stalemates trying to take a castle or wall and can go for hours without receiving a single silver but you die several times. Unless I’m missing something about WvWvW, it seems that you break even or lose funds anytime you play it for an extended amount of time.

Last night, I decided I would devote some actual time to grinding in Cursed Shore, I am a Guardian and I have a full set of the Superior Rune of the Pirate to increase my magic find. I would say in 4-5 hours of running around killing everything in sight and participating in events, I made about 8 gold. So it isn’t hard to make money, but it is a grind and we were promised that the game would not be about grinding.

Guidelines that I followed for my grind were:
*Vendor all white-green drops unless you are in need of salvage mats. Keep in mind you do not need to use master salvage kits to get Orichalcum Ore from lvl 70+ items, you can salvage with a Crude Kit and still get Ori Ore.
*Any drops that are level 70+ Yellows you should salvage with a good kit, as you have a chance of getting ectoplasm, sigils, runes, that may be worth more than the actual item or used to craft legendaries. If you really need money, check the Trade Post price of Yellows, sometimes it can be around 50 silver.
*Join in events every chance you get, but don’t do them exclusively. You get many more drops when 20 other people aren’t attacking the same mob.
*If you are capable, aggro several mobs before killing them all at once.
*Don’t mess with underwater mobs, they bug out and become invulnerable frequently making them a waste of time.

Look at my eyes. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I’ve
been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see
patches of reality, never the whole picture. Before I knew it, the dream was all over.

Posted by: Yata.8932

Yata.8932

This isn’t even about getting wealthy, most of the current things you can do, the amount of time you spend on it and the reward you get is way out of whack. You need to do 3 DEs to even cover the cost of teleporting to the zone to begin with let alone begin making profit. You die once and you need to do 1 DE to recover the repair cost for that death, assuming you don’t die on that one also. Some dungeons are just plain broken.

this is to prevent you from having kitten tons of gold within that time span, also waypoints, because they are are kind of expensive, don’t seems like they were mean to be used often or over like three maps of space. I really never pay more than 1s 50c on a way point because i keep my travel in one map. I’d also rather walk three maps to get to the event or whatever i want to do then i can do events along the way, and loot stuff. Idk that’s just me. Also go to the heart of the mists and then port to Lions Arch for a cheap shortcut.

As for dungeons yeah they are hard, and i think they should have a bit better rewards, i would not call them broken, some of them need a bit of tuning yes, but they are doable.

also why are you dying so much? I don’t die in DE’s unless for some reason I’m trying to do a group event by myself, or say with only three people.

Posted by: Piper halliwell w.6578

Piper halliwell w.6578

a week I do not fall Unidentified Dye and do not know why