What class (and build) fits me the most?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Vanoa.2704

Vanoa.2704

Hey there,

Yes another one of those ‘I don’t know what class to play’ topic, but I seem to struggle with this in every single MMORPG.

I have recently gotten my first class to lvl 80, which is an elementalist. I enjoy it’s playstyle with the staff, probably because it has a lot of AoE damage.

I pretty much only play PvE, doing storylines and event bosses.

However, I like to look tough and I like to stand out and this is pretty important to me. Even though I enjoy my elementalist, I can’t seem to get over with the fact that they just don’t nearly look close to tough.

I would say that I enjoy ranged builds the most, but I can’t figure out if the reason for that is that I find melee a little clunky and awkward to play and I just have to get used to the melee playstyle.

I also don’t like classes with very complex mechanics.

I also like to not die a lot and I like to feel and actually be powerful.

Could you help me out finding a class (and build) that suits me the most? Are there any OP classes/builds or classes/builds that stand out from the others at the moment or is it all pretty much balanced?

Thanks in advance.

(edited by Vanoa.2704)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Warrior seems to be what you are looking for. It is the basic go to for that type of play style.

Posted by: Asrat.2645

Asrat.2645

pve or pvp? There is a huge difference in power and they way, balance is setup. For example necromancer is considered to be the ultimate condinuke for pvp and fairly op. But hardly has a place in fractals. An then again can take a role in raids.
As long as you stick to casual pve (fractals/open world) you should not be too concerned. You can pretty much play everything.
You will have to move away from the ‘ranged’ idea tho. Most teams dont like, if people dont stay in the melee stack, cause it makes mobs run around.
Warrior is indeed a good way to take some damage, deal some damage and help your team.
Rangers, guards, necros are farily easy to play. Thief requires some dodging, mesmer is mostly support, rev is a little more complex but still easy enough. Engineer and ele are really the ones, who require complex rotations to achieve the best performance.

Posted by: Vanoa.2704

Vanoa.2704

pve or pvp? There is a huge difference in power and they way, balance is setup. For example necromancer is considered to be the ultimate condinuke for pvp and fairly op. But hardly has a place in fractals. An then again can take a role in raids.
As long as you stick to casual pve (fractals/open world) you should not be too concerned. You can pretty much play everything.
You will have to move away from the ‘ranged’ idea tho. Most teams dont like, if people dont stay in the melee stack, cause it makes mobs run around.
Warrior is indeed a good way to take some damage, deal some damage and help your team.
Rangers, guards, necros are farily easy to play. Thief requires some dodging, mesmer is mostly support, rev is a little more complex but still easy enough. Engineer and ele are really the ones, who require complex rotations to achieve the best performance.

Oh yes forgot to mention. I mainly play open world PvE, doing storylines and event bosses. Edited my original post now.

Posted by: Eros.6801

Eros.6801

Big question : Do you have HoT ?

If YES :

1/ Revenant/Herald ( prefer Charr if you want to look tough/scary ) fit everything you mentioned above, good in melee fight, hammer at range can be deadly, have a lot of survive skill as well as heal due to Vengenful Hammers, Herald elite specs provide you perma swiftness, fury, regen this class is perfect if you want to roaming around the world and do story line.

2/ Necromancer/Reaper by far the best melee fighter in game i’ve ever seen, have massive amount of HP ( highest in game cuz of shroud ), the blood magic offer you a lot of lifesteal for both you and your minions make you sometime like a god in battlefield, or soulreaping keep you stay in shroud for a very long time. This class also give you second choice of dps ( condition damg ) very tough in pvp and useful in raid, Necro do have range option but not as good as other but still one of the best class for roaming the world.

3/ Guardian/Dragon Hunter a versatile class, it might be slow but you can keep per swiftness up, when turn into Dragon Hunter you can use longbow which is very useful at range option the only thing that matter you would be the run speed cuz Guard has no passive run speed but like i mention above you can keep swiftness up if you know how to.

4/ Ranger/Druid this might be the best class fit you cuz of range option, pet can take aggro for you as well as damg dealing, Ranger is “Jack of All Trades” with HoT you gain access to use a staff which can provide you very good healing skills can keep you and your pets alive during toughnest situations, if you want to look tough…well ranger use medium armor you can imagine an assassin…

5/ Warrior/Berserker ( Read “NO” )

If NO :

1/ Warrior ( prefer a Charr ) core war are very powerful even after HoT released, with HoT Berserker offer you high damg in short duration but if you want full dps you have to give up passive run speed and if you want run speed you suffer dps loss. This is why core war is still good atm, for range option War can use rifle/bow but not so strong.

2/ Ranger like above, this class still a good choice whether you have HoT or not

For the rest like Thief, Mesmer, Engineer i don’t think will fit you.

OPTIONAL : Buy an outfit that looks tough

(edited by Eros.6801)