What class to play?

What class to play?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lytro.9305

Lytro.9305

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some help deciding on a class. I recently took a quiz to see if it could help me, fantasy rpg class test. I ended up as a star glider http://www.helloquizzy.com/quizzy/results?quizzyid=2759555769366114094&resultid=509080890 (copy and paste the link). It seemed like a interesting class and wanted to know if it could be similar to anything in guild wars 2. Thank you andI appreciate the help.

What class to play?

Posted by: KevinB.9643

KevinB.9643

Good day,

Never knew about a class named “Star Glider” but after to have read it I could not possibly tell you any things GW2 classes would have in common, still I would like to help out.

Correct me if Iám wrong, but you are deciding what class your first character would be right?

You might want to take a look at this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1ojgdr/what_class_should_i_play_a_summary_of_each/

Good luck!

What class to play?

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

I don’t think GW2 has anything like “Star Glider” class.

For completely new player who just want to try GW2 out, I usually recommend either Guardian (because they very rarely die) or Ranger (having pet to aggro enemies while you shoot them from the back). They both fairly easy to play without more complicated systems some other classes require.

What class to play?

Posted by: Lytro.9305

Lytro.9305

I thank you for your help, I was thinking from looking at all the classes, since from the description of the star glider they’re fast, use fields, use metals, and apparently have sustain, how would an engineer be? I heard they are tough to learn since their rotations are very long, would they be worth trying?

What class to play?

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Engineer is certainly capable class and can be fun but it takes more time to learn since most of their gameplay revolves around equipping several kits that replace weapon skills. I am also still angry that both of my favourite engi builds I used to level up have been nerfed so I am not even sure which build to recommend anymore.

What class to play?

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

I thank you for your help, I was thinking from looking at all the classes, since from the description of the star glider they’re fast, use fields, use metals, and apparently have sustain, how would an engineer be? I heard they are tough to learn since their rotations are very long, would they be worth trying?

If this is your first playthrough of the game then engineer is fine. When I started playing engineer was my first character and it wasn’t a problem at all, because when you’re new and bad at the game doing max dps rotations doesn’t matter. It’s true that engineer is a more difficult class to play optimally because they can bring way more skills at once than the other classes, but honestly if you learn the class over time and get used to the kits and kit swapping quickly you shouldn’t have trouble even at higher levels of play. The engineer “rotation” isn’t really a rotation anyway, since it varies so much situationally that there is no repeatable pattern. It is more of a priority list, and once you know the priorities and where to find those skills on your bar then you will learn how to play engi well quickly.

As for how well engineer fits your quiz thing, the description that the quiz gives for “star glider” is like 99% fluff, more personality than mechanics, so I don’t think you will find a match in the gw2 classes.

The reddit thread that kevinb linked is decent, but it’s really outdated. Here is a quick list of how the classes currently are played in pve:

Warrior: easy to play, personal DPS is actually fairly low, though party buffs are insanely good. Pretty straightforward: hit enemies with weapons, buff allies.

Guardian: easy to play, extremely good damage prevention buffs and decent party damage buffs. Can have good sustained DPS or good burst depending on weapons used.

Ranger: Now almost completely defined by the druid elite specialization which gives access to powerful heals and party buffs. Personal dps is mediocre. Want to play a healer? Look no further, though you won’t gain access to druid until you get to Heart of Thorns. Also has pets with mediocre A.I.

Engineer: lots of skills, probably highest skill cap along with mesmer, can be traited to do just about anything decently, though has no unique party buffs. Optimal play requires a lot of button pressing and a lot of knowledge. Ridiculous variety in combo fields and finishers. Cheap to gear up with only a few weapons and no weapon swap because engi can equip kits which temporarily replace your weapon skills. The only class whose “standard” pve build doesn’t use its HoT elite specialization (though the elite spec is also pretty good!)

Thief: high personal dps, high mobility, no party support, easy to do damage but some skill is required to stay alive with their large number of evades. Has access to a lot of stealth.

Elementalist: Playstyle varies greatly depending on weapon set. Can sit in the back and cast high dps fire skills with staff or can be in the middle of the fray with dagger, or can be bad with scepter. Class mechanic is swapping between elemental attunements which each have unique skills depending on which weapon is equipped. Most popular as a DPS class (in fact highest personal DPS in the game), but can also be party support. Squishiest class in the game, can be difficult to stay alive. Has no weapon swap because attunements provide extra skills. Can be played as a healer (commonly called “auramancer”).

Necromancer: I actually know very little about this class, sorry =P

Mesmer: Class mechanic for base mesmer is making illusions, but it is now is mostly defined by its chronomancer elite specialization. Pretty bad personal DPS but insane party support as the only source of the extremely powerful alacrity buff and the primary source of the quickness buff. Very difficult to play optimally with many high impact, high cooldown skills. Seems squishy but if you know the class you will be very hard to kill. Also can be expensive to gear up with many different viable weapons from all three weapon crafting lines, as well as unusual sigils, runes, armor stat combos, and accessories for some builds.

Revenant: Seems difficult to play at first, but is actually quite easy. Revenant is another class that can do a lot of different things, but unlike engineer is only really good at a couple. The herald elite specialization is highly desirable in groups for the facet of nature buff and for group boons. Class mechanic is swapping between the powers of legendary figures from Tyrian history (aka gw1, lol). The Herald stance is a bit boring to play but the other stances bring a lot of variety and are loads of fun.

Good luck, hope this helps.

(edited by Dinosaurs.8674)

What class to play?

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Nice one Dinosaurs. I’ll add the Necro part:

Easy to play, highest durability of all classes (due to Life force bar). Low mobility. Has little or no party buffs, but is very good at sustaining debuffs, esp in longer battles. Not the top condi DPS class (except in specific situations), but is up there and has easy access to almost all conditions. Reaver spec has added a viable melee and/or power option to the class. Can also generate lots of minions so you’ll never be alone :P