What is Karma/Laurel/Badges for

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Zorish.2940

Zorish.2940

I have Karma, Laurels and Badges.

I know I cant get Ascended Amulet with Laurels/Badges, that’s covered for.

Now, what’s the difference between crafting Armor Set, getting it with Karma or farming tokens in a Dungeon?

Are they different? Is one better than the others?

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

You actually can get amulets with laurels and badges, at laurel vendors in cities or in WvW.

The difference between exotic armor that is crafted/bought with karma/traded for dungeon tokens is in the additional stats. Each armor piece has two sets of stats- the base stats and the additional stats.

The base stats, which increase defense on armor and attack on weapons, are ALWAYS the same for exotic gear of the same type and level, no matter how you acquire the gear.

Every gear piece also has additional stats it gives aside from the armor, such as +Power/Precision/Critical Damage, or +Power/Vitality/Toughness. There are different ways of getting gear with these additional stats. If you want Power/Vitality/Toughness gear, for instance, you cannot craft it- you have to run dungeons or trade in Badges of Honor. If you want Power/Precision/Critical Damage, on the other hand, you can craft it.

However, no matter how you get your gear, they will always be at the same quality as other pieces. If I run Sorrow’s Embrace to buy a light exotic Power/Precision/Toughness chestpiece, and compare it to a light exotic Power/Precision/Toughness chestpiece I craft, both pieces will give the same bonus to those stats. In other words, how you get your gear doesn’t affect its quality.

For more info on how you can get gear with certain additional stats, check http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment_acquisition_by_stats

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Zorish.2940

Thanks Falunel! I just wanted to make sure because I had doubts about it. I have some Karma to spend and I wasn’t sure if I should buy pieces of set with that or no.

I’m aware karma is only used for parts for the Legendary weapons, right?

I’m still unsure about what to build, if Power > Toughness Vitality or Power > Toughness Precision, but I’ll be checking some more guides for that.

Is there any particular reason to reserve Karma for something else? I don’t see the use of Gold in this game, besides buying things for WvW or Dyes.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

I’m aware karma is only used for parts for the Legendary weapons, right?

Karma can also be used to buy some high end items in Orr. When a group opens up one of the Temples, the karma vendors there will sell some unique stuff. You won’t be getting Ascended items with karma, but you can acquire unique skins with it.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Currently, unless you are going for armor or a Legendary, there is little use for karma once you get to max level. I personally am now saving mine in hopes they put in a use for it later. If you don’t plan to do that you can buy the Orrian boxes with karma and make a little bit of money from that.

Posted by: cpg.7140

cpg.7140

As soon as the next update is live, you’ll be able to share karma across all characters. So don’t spend any of it if you think you might want to use it later on another character (for a quick set of level 80 exotic armor from temples, for example). Of course if you know you won’t want to use it for that then spend it on whatever you want.

Hobwash
[TAS] – The Asuran Squad
Devona’s Rest

Zorish.2940

Oh, well, than I can easily use that bit of karma to save some farming for dungeons eheh!

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

I like using my badges for armor skins.