What is a Focus?

What is a Focus?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Salvateon.6320

Salvateon.6320

I have been doing some research on the weapons on GW2 and i have noticed that all weapons except Staff, Scepter and Focus have all been used on a battlefield in past Century’s.

I have seen Staff and Scepter in films like Lord of the Rings.

My questions is to the community what is a focus i have never seen of it or heard of it anywhere, They don’t look very appealing or offensive (as in offensive weapon) in game.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this Thank you.

What is a Focus?

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

its a little bell or jar or something your character holds for focus abilities. Sorta like a shield but without defense

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Focus

(edited by Zoul.1087)

What is a Focus?

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

It is a curvy stick with a handle that is useful for its various sparkly emissions.

You can think of it as sort of like a wizard’s wand that has become flaccid.

I hope this information helps you.

What is a Focus?

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

It’s a cowbell, nough said.

What is a Focus?

Posted by: Sender.7958

Sender.7958

I think of it as a kind of talisman or fetish that helps the magic user focus and control his powers. Like an amplifier for magic abilities.

What is a Focus?

Posted by: LordNat.4963

LordNat.4963

Most the time they are called a Fetish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetishism Work Safe). They are a small object of power held used to help focus the powers of a spell or ritual.
They are just called Focus in the game as running around with a Fetish is not really PG.

What is a Focus?

Posted by: Residual Jams.7294

Residual Jams.7294

How sad that the words like ‘fetish’ have been warped to the point where we change legitimate names just so people dont get ‘offended’.

What is a Focus?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I think of it as a magical magnifying glass that concentrates energies for special abilities.

Love my flower focus. “I keel you with my flower!”
Working on The Anomaly cuz that is the coolest focus ever.

What is a Focus?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

A Focus?

Far as I have understood it, this is a shortening of the phrase “channeling focus”, referencing any object which allows an individual to send their will through it in order to boost its effectiveness. Crystal balls, holy symbols, wands, amulets, relics, talismans, fetishes, totems, these pretty much all are the same thing when you look at it in a broader scope.

If you check out the old GW1 wiki about “Focus” you’ll see they used to fill the off-hand slot for any caster class instead of a shield. Generally used to help boost their Energy pool or skill recharge time.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

What is a Focus?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I think of it as a magical magnifying glass that concentrates energies for special abilities.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Rose_Focus

I loved mine too, Gwen had it in hand pretty much exclusively after I got it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

What is a Focus?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Rose_Focus

I loved mine too, Gwen had it in hand pretty much exclusively after I got it.

WTB for GW2 <3

What is a Focus?

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Good examples of “real life*” focii include things like voodoo dolls, an exorcist’s crucifix, a fortune teller’s crystal ball etc. Basiclly paraphernalia used by “practitioners” of magic.

* Not implying magic is real mind you

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

What is a Focus?

Posted by: Kadub.8743

Kadub.8743

A Focus is an object or thing used to creep people out and make go ewwww.
For example long nose hair or crusty back scratcher.

What is a Focus?

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Focii are items that make you feel empowered and or comfortable. A teddy bear can be a focus. Items that keep you calm under pressure so that you can focus on the task at hand.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website