What is pc-malware.com?

What is pc-malware.com?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

After an exhaustive search, I couldn’t find out anything about this mysterious website on the vastness of the internet. And since this is the only forum I’m currently subscribed to, I thought I’d post my query here.

Sometimes, clicking a webpage link redirects my browser to this site, which completely locks up my browser, and plays an audio message telling me to call the number displayed on the screen to unlock my PC. A quick trip to the task manager fixes the issue, and a complete virus and malware scan of my PC comes back with no results.

So what is it? Should I be wary?

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

What is pc-malware.com?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Says it’s a phishing website, so you might want to look up how to remove it.

Try running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode after deleting all temp files.

What is pc-malware.com?

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

There are two free tools that should remove that garbage (ADWcleaner and Junkware Removal Tool). Get them here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

What is pc-malware.com?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If by “sometimes” you mean it’s possible on any legitimate website like this one, then your computer is infected.

If however you mean that websites that are full of ads are the only ones that do it, that’s caused by the ads on that specific webpage rewriting the links. As a simple solution, use Firefox and get an ad-blocker add-in.

What is pc-malware.com?

Quarktastic.1027

If by “sometimes” you mean it’s possible on any legitimate website like this one, then your computer is infected.

If however you mean that websites that are full of ads are the only ones that do it, that’s caused by the ads on that specific webpage rewriting the links. As a simple solution, use Firefox and get an ad-blocker add-in.

It’s never happened on this website specifically, and I’m running two separate adblocker plugins. I do believe it’s the websites themselves, because running a full system scan with all of my antivirus/antimalware yielded nothing yet again, except for one file that my antivirus couldn’t scan.

Also, I’m using google chrome.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

What is pc-malware.com?

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

It seem obvious you have some malware or adware cause problem. Did you also look at extension you use in google chrome to see if some thing there may cause problem? To look at extension in chrome click setting then extension link.

Also do you try another browser like firefox and see if same problem happen?

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

What is pc-malware.com?

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Sounds like the OP has ransomware https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware

Edit: I did a Google search for that website and saw the phone number in the search results. I then did a Google search for that phone number and I got multiple results about it being a tech support scam/virus.

Check all web browsers you have installed, even ones you don’t use. Find the addons/plugins and look for anything you don’t recognize and uninstall it.

If using Windows, bring up control panel and go to Programs and Features and look for software you don’t recognize and uninstall it.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

What is pc-malware.com?

Quarktastic.1027

Edit: I did a Google search for that website and saw the phone number in the search results. I then did a Google search for that phone number and I got multiple results about it being a tech support scam/virus.

Check all web browsers you have installed, even ones you don’t use. Find the addons/plugins and look for anything you don’t recognize and uninstall it.

If using Windows, bring up control panel and go to Programs and Features and look for software you don’t recognize and uninstall it.

did you uncover anything about removing it? I’ve spent the past two hours digging through my C drive and noting looks out of place.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

What is pc-malware.com?

Posted by: innocens.1582

innocens.1582

download malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org, run it and have it clean everything it finds out of order.

To be 100% sure you could start windows in safe mode, and then run malwarebytes.

a man who doesnt make mistakes doesnt do anything

What is pc-malware.com?

Quarktastic.1027

download malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org, run it and have it clean everything it finds out of order.

To be 100% sure you could start windows in safe mode, and then run malwarebytes.

Done that, nothing suspicious.

Ultimately, I just edited my hosts file to block the website. I’m reasonably sure my PC is malware free.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

What is pc-malware.com?

Posted by: Maximus.8376

Maximus.8376

It’s not clean if this happens. There’s something in your computer that’s doing this, even if your scans don’t find anything. I’d advise you to got to one of the many anti virus/malware sites to get help cleaning this or do a full format and reinstall your OS.

What is pc-malware.com?

Quarktastic.1027

It’s not clean if this happens. There’s something in your computer that’s doing this, even if your scans don’t find anything. I’d advise you to got to one of the many anti virus/malware sites to get help cleaning this or do a full format and reinstall your OS.

I’m pretty sure it’s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickjacking and not malware.

At least, that’s where all the evidence is pointing.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

What is pc-malware.com?

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

did you uncover anything about removing it? I’ve spent the past two hours digging through my C drive and noting looks out of place.

Well basically aside from checking browser plugins and programs and features to uninstall any suspicious programs, it’s complicated.

You would need to go into the Windows folder options to show hidden files and folders, then search your hard drive for the files. Also you would need to go into the Windows registry and search for and delete the malicious files.

The problem is you need to have at least some advanced computer knowledge (which isn’t something I have myself) and know exactly what type of files you’re looking for.

Basically the best option is using anti-malware software to scan your hard drive and remove the infected files. But since it seems anti-malware software isn’t detecting anything you might not have any malicious files on your computer.

Here is another option: go into the settings for each web browser and check your homepage settings. It could be one of those things where your browser homepage is reset so you constantly see the webpage popup. This has been a tactic for many, many years. If this is the case, simply resetting your homepage should fix the issue.

There’s something charming about rangers.

What is pc-malware.com?

Quarktastic.1027

Well basically aside from checking browser plugins and programs and features to uninstall any suspicious programs, it’s complicated.

You would need to go into the Windows folder options to show hidden files and folders, then search your hard drive for the files. Also you would need to go into the Windows registry and search for and delete the malicious files.

The problem is you need to have at least some advanced computer knowledge (which isn’t something I have myself) and know exactly what type of files you’re looking for.

Basically the best option is using anti-malware software to scan your hard drive and remove the infected files. But since it seems anti-malware software isn’t detecting anything you might not have any malicious files on your computer.

Here is another option: go into the settings for each web browser and check your homepage settings. It could be one of those things where your browser homepage is reset so you constantly see the webpage popup. This has been a tactic for many, many years. If this is the case, simply resetting your homepage should fix the issue.

It’s not something I’m constantly seeing, or something that spontaneously happens when I launch my browser. It tends to only occur when I click a link either on, or navigating to, an unfamiliar or dubious website. At most, I’d say it happens once or twice every few months. I just thought it was strange that every time it happened, it was the same website.

-BnooMaGoo.5690