What is the best profession in Guild Wars 2?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Tjani.2935

Tjani.2935

What is the best class in guild wars 2 I am a new player looked at all classes so far i like the elementalist,ranger and thief the most ,Should i be looking else where as far as classes?

Posted by: Issmir.6852

Issmir.6852

The best class is probably the class you enjoy playing the most, to be honest. They all behave differently enough and have different mechanics that you’d be hard pressed to do a direct better/worse comparison.

Issmir Spinebreaker – Order of the Fool, Crystal Desert

Posted by: rakaduba.2108

rakaduba.2108

I have created a thief and ranger, and I have to say the ranger is way more fun to play. At least early game. I have heard many people complain that thief is not very fun early game, but I have not played it enough myself.

I have been totally loving the ranger class. I have a lvl 53 ranger and I have really enjoyed playing it. They are also thought to be one of the most over powered classes as well. I have not played an elementalist, but they look like fun as well.

James
aka Rakaduba

Posted by: Masterpyro.4310

Masterpyro.4310

Play what you enjoy playing. This game is more based on personal skill than having the “best build”. Any profession can perform nearly any role be it tanking support or damage.

Posted by: AryasRevenge.3175

AryasRevenge.3175

From what ive seen close range classes have a bit more attack and defense but i personally love long range mage so i chose Charr elemetalist, once you get the skills timing right and the combos hes a killin machine ;D

I suggest you just chose one character and focus on it.

Posted by: Sanderman.1697

Sanderman.1697

I love the warrior because he is very good at close and ranged. I have a charr with 2 swords and a rifle

Love is for poets

Posted by: ctrlaltelite.1362

ctrlaltelite.1362

Seems like you enjoy playing classes that deal damage. I suppose the next question to ask is… do you like being up close and personal (i.e. playing thief with daggars?) Or standing back and blowing people up?

Posted by: BlueprintLFE.2358

BlueprintLFE.2358

They all seem pretty decent, they are all great designs. One class that I think needs a little boost is the elementalist, warrior can out dps one, same with a thief, and they wear heavy and medium armies

USMC 1st Battalion 10th Marines
Guardian-Blueprinted, Warrior- Grizzilli
[JCM] Guild: Ehmry Bay WvW

Posted by: SirQuester.5476

SirQuester.5476

My favourite so far is my thief though I have started to really like my necro and ranger as well. Currrently, playing my guardian to 20 but I already know I’m gonna like it. Next to 20 will probably be the mesmer.

Posted by: Bailey.1724

Bailey.1724

I love playing my Ranger and my Guardian, but in opposite ways…the Ranger for melee and the Guardian with ranged weapons.

Posted by: DBZVelena.5186

DBZVelena.5186

Asking what the “best” class is in GW2 is like asking everybody what they like to play best.
It really doesn’t matter which you pick, each class can fulfill any of the “holly trinity”.

My advice: Pick what you think might be most fun to play. Then if you find its not as much fun as you first thought, first try a different weapon set, before you go re-roll a character. Every class has a long and short range kind of weapon. Also, when in doubt about stuff, ask people in chat. You’d be surprised how helpful everybody is being. _

Proud Medic of the Splinter Warband. PM me to know more.

Posted by: deegu.7864

deegu.7864

Necro is awesomesauce.
“I am death incarnate!”

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Pick a class that suits your style best. Remember that every class can essentially play every role. That’s the goal, at least. Depending on how you build and allocate your skills/traits, your character will always have the option to play Tank, DPS, Support, etc etc. You can be a melee Necromancer with lifesteal and daggers, or you can be a support Thief with heals and revives.

Posted by: Rika.7249

Rika.7249

This is a question that cannot be answered. Play what you like.

Posted by: MeHoW.4597

MeHoW.4597

People who post what’s overpowered and good are contributing to not asking more of this question… PEOPLE WHO SAY “whatever you like the most” are equally useless as saying nothing.

Posted by: Pufulin.8720

Pufulin.8720

….duno why ppl say’s that..cos there are …better classes and not so good classes for exemple in pvp atm Engi / thief are the best dmg dealers/support classes

Posted by: Rynter.3975

Rynter.3975

Here’s a question for someone who might know: what GW2 profession is most like WoW’s warlock in terms of gameplay?

Posted by: Vexus.5423

Vexus.5423

I believe the Necromancer is going to be the best overall in the long run. I have seen almost none in WvW, but the abilities they have when skillfully applied are very powerful. I don’t play a Necro, but I’ve seen it in action and seems the least squishy light armor class.

Posted by: ctrlaltelite.1362

ctrlaltelite.1362

Here’s a question for someone who might know: what GW2 profession is most like WoW’s warlock in terms of gameplay?

Tough because the GW2 professions are all pretty unique (except for the warrior). Even necromancers can fulfill a support roll by giving regen to allies and removing their conditions. What did you like most about the warlock?

Posted by: Erauntien.7298

Erauntien.7298

You should play the profession that appeals to you most. You named 3 professions that you said you liked. take them all on a trial run and see which one suits you the best. In my opinion the ranger is just pure awesomeness.

Tarnished Coast Commander
Leader of [Kura]

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

My current favorite classes are Ranger and Warrior. The Ranger is my main so far…perfect for solo play and kiting mobs.

My Warrior, however, is just a blast to play. I dual wield using a mainhand longsword for the leaping strike and an offhand axe for the spinning attack.

I use a rifle for ranged attacks…the shots get off kind of slow, but as the target closes, you can use the butt of the rifle to knock it back and get another shot or 2 off before switching back to blades for close combat.

I’m working on a Thief, Guardian and Mesmer also. All 3 classes, I find challenging to play for a variety of different reasons.

You have 5 character slots. Use them. And find out what you really like.

Raf

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Glas.5210

Glas.5210

I’ve played my Warrior to 25, my Guardian to 22 (IIRC), and my Ranger to 7. I think my Guardian has been my favorite to play so far.

“I summed up all systems in a phrase, and all existence in an epigram.”
~Oscar Wilde

Posted by: Harken.6413

Harken.6413

I am loving my engineer. They are unique in the game with how their skills work and after lots of practice I’m getting the hang of switch between my weapon kits for amazing layered dps. Then with a touch of a button I can spam heal myself or a whole group..and don’t get my started on the awesomesauce of turrets.

Anyone who tells you they suck cause one hit takes them down is a moron who doesn’t know how to place them.

Posted by: The Wisest Elder.3951

The Wisest Elder.3951

I so far have a lvl 20 war and a lvl 16 eng. War is fun with greatsword rushing, but feels more like a solo role, while eng feels weak, but a great help in groups

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Elementalist!

no really!

I am totally not making that up!

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

I’m pretty sure there is no best. That’s what I like about GW it’s very balanced. If you know how to play your profession you will do good in it. Every profession has their tricks.

However, I do think this makes it hard to choose what to play ! : )

Posted by: Mythiuz.4320

Mythiuz.4320

Necro is awesomesauce.
“I am death incarnate!”

Oooh yeah. My lil’ Asura says this all the time! :P Necro-power!

Posted by: Rynter.3975

Rynter.3975

Tough because the GW2 professions are all pretty unique (except for the warrior). Even necromancers can fulfill a support roll by giving regen to allies and removing their conditions. What did you like most about the warlock?

I liked lots of things about the Warlock. I liked the fact that he was pretty tanky for a caster. I liked how 1v1’s essentially devolved to trying to keep an opponent from applying damage to you (Fearing and shutting down casters, kiting melee) while your dots tick away at their health. In mass pvp it was fun being able to wade into a big fight and fling spells left and right without being quickly squished by massive damage.

I made an Elementalist and I’m having fun, it’s a very mobile class with lot’s of tools at its disposal. I was just wondering if Necromancer was more similar to Warlock than Elementalist is.

Posted by: QQKachoo.2980

QQKachoo.2980

The best profession is the one that you enjoy playing the most. You need to just try out every profession and whichever one you find the most fun playing is what you should play. Don’t go by what is best because all of the classes have things about them that are good and things about them that are not as good. You just have to learn to play the class you love. But if you want “flavor of the month” go Rifle Warrior :P

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Depends on what you are after.

Suppose if you are into solo PvEing, you really can’t beat the ranger. Have bud who has soloed his story line so far up to 50…he was level 39 last time I checked. o.0

Bascially, his pet out heals most monsters dmg which makes it incrediby easy to solo. Infact he just told me he had his bear tank most of AC.

But yea, try all the classes. They have their ups and downs. Only way is to choose for yourself. Granted as dude above me said…you want FotM; go warrior. They are beasts.

Posted by: Poseidon.4359

Poseidon.4359

The best class is probably the class you enjoy playing the most, to be honest. They all behave differently enough and have different mechanics that you’d be hard pressed to do a direct better/worse comparison.

I have to agree with this answer. Every class comes with their own special skill sets so the best choice would be to choose the one that you are most interested in and suit your playstyles the most.

Posted by: Lwd.1264

Lwd.1264

I liked lots of things about the Warlock. I liked the fact that he was pretty tanky for a caster. I liked how 1v1’s essentially devolved to trying to keep an opponent from applying damage to you (Fearing and shutting down casters, kiting melee) while your dots tick away at their health. In mass pvp it was fun being able to wade into a big fight and fling spells left and right without being quickly squished by massive damage.

I made an Elementalist and I’m having fun, it’s a very mobile class with lot’s of tools at its disposal. I was just wondering if Necromancer was more similar to Warlock than Elementalist is.

Necro here is way different than warlock. It reminds me affli lock (scepter as weapon and curses as traits) and pala with his bubble (death shroud) but without serious CC

All my answers are not official or something , I just have great experience ;)

Posted by: Blokje.3914

Blokje.3914

I’m enjoying playing the guardian he’s just lvl 8 but I enjoy him more then my engineer i didn’t like the fact that i had only 3 kinds of different weapons

Posted by: Tjani.2935

Tjani.2935

thank you guys for all the imput only class i have not ried is the engineer currently i have 12 thieft but i would say necroand elementalist are very close seconds to me.I didn’t want it to be like wow where a few classes are totally over powered or under powered this games seems to be very balanced .

Posted by: Nokturnal.8973

Nokturnal.8973

Mesmer hands down, best class in GW.

Why? It’s the most unique class in any MMO i’ve ever played. Every other class is just a copy of a standard. (Mage, Rogue, Warrior archtype)

I also enjoy the hell out of playing him, but that’s just me.