What is the point of the wooden chests?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Conspiracy theory time! Put on your tinfoil hats.

Hey everyone, this is likely a very stupid question but I’ve been thinking on it for a while now. What exactly is the point of the wooden chests?

Now hold on. I was here from back when the drop rate/tinfoil hat fiasco was the big thing, and I had my hopes up as to the inclusion of the wooden chests in to the game’s coding.

These chests, which now specifically only hold rare (yellow) or above were supposedly add a way for players to pick up their valuable loot by sight, and not have it vanish on mobs.

Let me ask: Who out there is not picking up every last thing on every mob? Why? You killed it, you’re just going to walk away? There’s item promotion, there’s the BLTC, there’s honestly no reason for a player not to pick up every piece of glittering gold possible….

Unless DR only counts on loot you’ve picked up. All those blues, greys greens and mats you’ve collected? Those could possibly be hurting your chance of getting yellows at Jormag or Dusk off that skritt that looked at you funny.

The wooden boxes supposedly last longer than mob corpses, so this would inherently motivate a play-style in which one kills the same mobs in a path, and picks up any chests that remain on their next lap. If that’s not “farming”, I honestly don’t know what is.

I’m tempted to test this theory out, but I’m poor as butts in game (thanks RNG and item flippers!) and I’m wary of going without for long enough to see this in to fruition.

Ok, conspiracy theory over, make your tinfoil hats in to cute animals or something and leave them at Freebirds.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Wouldn’t that mean a player returning, who hasn’t looted anything have a higher chance of getting a precursor/exotic drop than a normal player? I’m we’d have cottoned onto that by now if it were true.

It wasn’t so much a case people didn’t want their loot, more ppl (like me) who couldn’t easily see the sparkles, especially when a lot of ppl were around. The chests are much easier to spot and now they stay around, even if missed once, can be easily spotted as you pass by again (something which has happened to me 3 tiomes this week alone)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Who would leave loot lying around? The same people who would leave they map completion rewards lying around and wondering why they weren’t getting the world completion reward/title?

The chests also solves a secondary issue(might not be intentional). In certain story mode dungeon/personal story instances cutscenes can corpses to despawn. I’ve gone through way too many of those where I saw a lootable corpse just before the cutscene but the cutscene removes the corpse no matter how fast I hit skip and there was no way to press F fast enough.

There is apparently some research showing that people more excited about opening chests than looting corpses. Not sure if that was a general bit of research or something ANet commissioned.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There is apparently some research showing that people more excited about opening chests than looting corpses. Not sure if that was a general bit of research or something ANet commissioned.

Haha, actually that’s very true of me!

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

In Orr there are often tons of monsters attacking at once (or there were pre-scaling changes). They would attack continuously, and their corpses would overlap. Making it sometimes difficult to see all the glowy goodness and actually mash F to pick it all up while still fighting.

additionally the corpses would vanish quickly because it’s just common sense to make corpses vanish faster if more and more keep piling on (cuts down on computer stress and what not) The chests lasting beyond the corpses ensure that no ones precursors vanish because they were too busy actually fighting at the event rather than mashing F over every clump of dead guys.