What profession should I get to 80 and main?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: ReigaK.9572

ReigaK.9572

THIS IS A PVE THREAD/QUESTION

Hey guys, I have been playing GW2 for awhile now (since the betas) and I have pushed a guardian to lvl 70 (10 levels from WvW, I got bored of questing in GW, but thats another topic) and I have played basically every profession to lvl 15 in PvE and played everyone in sPvP and can’t fully decide what I want to play. I do believe in fun > OP numbers; after all skill makes the player good, no numbers of the abilities/stats.

I love playing every play style and almost every profession. I guess my real question is: what profession + build do you guys prefer playing and playing with in dungeons (I am a end game player (“GW2 is all end game” blah, blah to an extent there is an actual end game -.-) who loves to dungeon and raid (which would be basically WvW for GW2 :P).

BONUS QUESTION!!!: I have a PvP build for Guardian that’s a suppport/bruiser kind of build; it’s Sword/Shield and Hammer shout build. Does anyone know if this type of build can work in PvE as well effectively?

BONUS QUESTION2!!!: Are Rangers that bad? I have tried a Ranger and I liked them a bit. Is it just players who don’t know how to micro-manage their pets or just Rangers themselves?

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Rangers are fine mostly because one of their shout skills allow the pet to rez downed players. <- best skill ever for dungeons.

I’m sure any pvp type set up will do fine in pve.

I prefer the elementalist in dungeons but heavy armor types would probably do better. Like a warior or guardian. Just choose one that is really good at surviving and you’ll do fine. Not a whole lot of players out there that spec for tanking in dungeons I must say.

Posted by: Psynch.4087

Psynch.4087

I started out as a shortbow ranger. I hit 80 and farmed Orr for a while. This type of ranger can be really boring. It’s no surprise that some shortbow rangers were banned as part of a bot sweep. We literally just do the same thing over and over. It’s cool to play as a ranger (I love ranged attacks), but the class just isn’t super fun, IMO.

Then I started a guardian alt and leveled her up to 80. I really like the idea of playing a support role in a group, so I use an Altruistic Healing build which has worked out well in fractals and dungeons so far. The guardian is nice because you can still contribute to DPS while providing crucial buffs and healing to the party. Of course, that’s not the only build, so I implore you to check out others as well. Guardians seem to be quite versatile, so I’m sure you’ll find something.

Now I’m lvling up a Warrior (currently 51), which has been quite fun because it’s not such a grind. The warrior has great DPS (all zerk gear) and the survivability is pretty good. Once I hit 80, I’ll have to decide how I really want to build her. It seems as though full Zerk Warriors are the only build that groups want for endgame content (but maybe that’s just loud forum people ^^)

I’ve also been lvling a mesmer (now 36). The beginning felt like I was progressing substantially slower than my other professions. I think that this is partly because some of the more useful skills and traits are not unlocked until you level up a bit. But once you do get far enough along, it seems like mesmers have a ton of play to them. Their range with a greatsword is insane, and I’ve survived situations with illusions and skills and well-timed dodging that I never thought I would survive. Those moments and those challenges have made playing a mesmer really rewarding, in contrast to the more melee classes above, which felt like I was simply ramming into mobs continuously and hacking them down.

I hope that this anecdotal evidence helps you decide on a class. Good luck! Once you hit 80, let me know if you want to run a dungeon or fractal

(edited by Psynch.4087)

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

stay away from rangers and possibly engies. Anything else would do, mesmers and warriors being top tier

Posted by: ReigaK.9572

ReigaK.9572

stay away from rangers and possibly engies. Anything else would do, mesmers and warriors being top tier

Very unhelpful answer. I’m not concerned with what is “top tier”, I’m concerned about what is fun, but what is “viable”

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

I love my guardian in dungeons. Lots of light fields, reflects, and group effective abilities. I run GS / Staff in dungeons with a focus on virtues.

I push my guardian hard in dungeons, and I’m looking at making my first solo attempts with my guardian soon. Some people say it’s an easy class, but there is soooo much depth of play to get into that you can do amazing things with…. it really becomes very fun to play when you start to find all of the neat synergy within the class.

I also love my Mesmer for dungeons…. the Guardian excells at support, but the utility of a mesmer is really hard to beat. It makes a really good ‘grease in the gears’ kind of character, that can make several encounters in dungeons easier and overall dungeon runs faster. Not because the Mesmer produces big numbers themselves, but because they give a lot to the party.

Hope that helps, and whatever you play, I hope you have fun with it!

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I thought the Engineer was the most fun leveling up. Its a difficult class though and not for everyone as its a bit buggy. Same for Necro…my other buggy class and one of the most fun.

But I enjoy making them work in spite of all the naysaying about those professions.

Rangers are another forum maligned class. But your pets require active mgmt to get the most out of them. I use a ranger for map exploration, harvesting and sometimes wvw.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

(edited by Raf.1078)

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Warriors are the best for PvE and Dungeons.

The worst are Necros and engineers.

Guardians are quite good.

Rangers are quite good, but alot of noobs play them and give them a bad name.

Thiefs are problematic. You gotta build them right in dungeons. But alot of players who play WvW keep their build rather than switching out and it makes them pretty squish.