What professions allow you to play 100% ranged...

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: massacre.2786

massacre.2786

…without severely kittening your damage? Being new to the Guild Wars universe, I am unsure as to which professions can play decently with no melee weapons.

I just started playing a thief and liked the idea of playing a dual pistol (single target) / shortbow (aoe) build. I have no idea if this play style would be viable, but it sounds like a lot of fun to me. I tried the elementalist at first, but found myself just a bit overwhelmed with element swapping and weapon/skill selection. I also thought about trying a ranger out, but read on the forums that their pets die a good bit and can also grab unintended agro.

All advice is greatly appreciated!

Posted by: Critwrench.8432

Critwrench.8432

Warrior.
Elementalist.
Necromancer (Kind of, depends on how far you consider ‘ranged’)
Mesmer.
Engineer’s weapons are all ranged, they have no melee. (Some of their skills are close-range though, and they have kits)

A shallow ocean only contains as much water as a particularly deep bucket.

Posted by: Ojimaru.8970

Ojimaru.8970

Warrior.
Elementalist.
Necromancer (Kind of, depends on how far you consider ‘ranged’)
Mesmer.
Engineer’s weapons are all ranged, they have no melee. (Some of their skills are close-range though, and they have kits)

The Ranger says “HellooOoooOOOOOoooo!”

Posted by: Critwrench.8432

Critwrench.8432

The Ranger says “HellooOoooOOOOOoooo!”

Most highly-effective ranger builds involve melee, and the Longbow is generally considered a subpar weapon overall. Your other options are the Shortbow, which is best when used for flanking, or axes, which are “kind-of” ranged.

A shallow ocean only contains as much water as a particularly deep bucket.

Posted by: Serval.6458

Serval.6458

Something you might not like about thief ranged attacks is that aside from Cluster Bomb (shortbow No. 2), you have a max range of 900 instead of most ranged things’ 1200.

Posted by: Praenomen.3245

Praenomen.3245

In this game, the Warrior is probably the best raw-damage no brainer hard hitting ranged class. Every other class relies more on kiting or other mechanics that don’t function at max range.

On the other hand, warrior is probably the least mobile ranged class in the game generally speaking, though it’s hard to say as all the classes in this game are very mobile compared to what most people are used too. Warriors can not move while using their hardest-hitting ranged ability though.

Posted by: Torrance.8012

Torrance.8012

Any I guess, but you generally lose alot of dps and playstyle utility by refusing to ever go melee (rangers I’m looking at you). Exception of course for elementalist with ranged wpn and engineers who have a different dynamic altogether.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Engineer only has ranged weapons, if I remember correctly.
Ranger, naturally (although that greatsword can be huge fun….)
Mesmer
Elementalist.

Dual pistol is great fun on a thief, but having somethig more melee-oriented is usually really useful for your secondary weapon slot.

Polka will never die

Posted by: Boererik.3459

Boererik.3459

Go engineer, lots of options with the kits + loads of knockbacks to actually fight @ range.