What's the point of WvW and Roaming??

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Siamak.8126

Siamak.8126

Good morning guys, I’ve been playing GW2 since beta and strictly PVE, but few times in the past I tried playing WvW and I just felt LOST in full sense, I mean I was running around like a idiot for an hour clue less despite watching YouTube videos and trying to figure out what I should do. I see a lot of WvW threads and it’s taken very seriously so:
1- can you guys please explain the point of WvW especially for my newly created toon or should I just wait till I’m 80 and dive into it then

2- what’s the point of Roaming in WvW and what is your objective as a Roamer compared to I don’t know regular WvW???

3- while leveling again should I stick to PVE only or mix it with WvW??

Posted by: Rhianne.4027

Rhianne.4027

Check out this post – it answers a lot of your questions https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/The-Basics-of-WvW-guide-and-more

The point of WvW is fun and trying to work with others on your server beat the other servers your server has been matched up against. Think large group PvP.

WvW is a lot easier to do at level 80 – before then you’ll be weaker than anyone who is level 80. See https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Low-Level-WvW-Tips#post877152 for tips of WvW while low level.

Roaming means running around the map by yourself or in a small group, trying to take objectives for your server – these are the coloured icons like camps, towers and so on. You may also fight players representing the other servers, though will need to avoid large groups.

The other main option is to run with a zerg, a large group usually lead by a commander (blue shield/dorrito icon), which can take larger objectives like the castles. This is easier to do if you’re not sure what you’re doing in WvW or are low level – just follow the icon and listen to the commander.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The point of WvW is to get more points than the other servers by controlling objectives. As for why people do it rather than PvE it’s generally because other people are (usually) better, or at least more varied, than the AI so it’s more challenging to fight them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Siamak.8126

Ok this is a bit off topic but I’m so torn between my Guardian and Warrior and even tho I played both till about 30ish I just can not decide whichone to focus on, I absolutely Love the animation of Guardian with GS and their whole blueish theme but I hate the fact their base health is so Low and I keep hearing that in endgame PVE and dungeons if you don’t play Guardian to their absolute full potential you gonna keep on dying and that’s not what I want and I know im not gonna be the best player around. on the other hand I like the durability that Warrior brings to the table while being able to do high damage but I hate their GS and Sword animation since my goal in this game is to get a Legendary GS. help me out here guys. If you were in my shoes what would you do?

Siamak.8126

Bumping for reply!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

What’s the point of paintball? WvW is server capture the flag. It’s for bragging rights. Also point totals are used to unlock bonuses in PvE.

Roaming is guerrilla warfare. Your small team grab points like supply camps and take out road guards, denying your foe repair/siege construction supplies and possibly draw off an enemy zerg toward the you while a main zerg of your server goes for bigger prey.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: crochip.2389

crochip.2389

For me wvw is a place to get good fights, get better at dueling and fighting multiple players. All about the fights. Others prefer to fight for their server, getting the most points for it, you just have to find what you enjoy the most.

Regarding the guardian and warrior question, i would go for guardian in your case. PvE in itself isn’t difficult so you don’t have to worry about having to be a perfect guardian to be able to do good in dungeons. Warrior is definitely easier to play, but i also found it to be the most boring in comparison to other professions.

Maaarrrr | Piken Square | Second Law [Scnd]

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

For me wvw is a place to get good fights, get better at dueling and fighting multiple players. All about the fights. Others prefer to fight for their server, getting the most points for it, you just have to find what you enjoy the most..

Indeed, as someone who roams allot, nothing better than finding another solo player, fighting it out in a hard fight of back and forth, one of you winning but not finishing off the other player, getting invited to their party and talking BS with each other for the next 3 hours. It is where you find others who understand its a game and about having fun and you meet some awesome people this way.

Running with zergs for PPT can be fun, and running with skill teams even more so. Nothing like breaking into another servers WPed garri and keeping the ring up for an hour and a half while being outnumbered 2 to 1 and have the other servers commander PM your team and suggest changing your guild name to “unkillable”. And we never even got to cap it, but it was so much fun, the other server talked about it all week.

As for leveling, go to ETOM, easy leveling there, find a pin that is doing the rounds and you can level up pretty fast.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

Siamak.8126

I’m still torn between the Guardian and Warrior. can folks who played them both extensively comment on their fun factor and general experience with both classes in PVE environment please

Posted by: Rhianne.4027

Rhianne.4027

I’d suggest asking in the class forums, or at least changing the title of your post so that the relevant people will see it. Levelling the wrong class isn’t a major issue, as it’ll not take much time to get the other to level 80 as well compared to getting a legendary (the usual guide is 1 hour per level, with some people talking of up to 5 levels in an hour with boosters).

I’ve got a warrior I’m happy with, and can survive in dungeons in zerk gear (most of the time) despite not being skilled. The GS dps rotation is simple, so I can concentrate on trying to learn the encounters. I’m also levelling a guardian, since the skills look interesting and I can share any ascended armour and some weapons between the two.

However, endgame in GW2 is mostly about aesthetics, so why play a class you don’t like the animations of? If you find yourself dying too much, you can adjust gear to have more defensive stats, to give you more room to make mistakes while learning what to do.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

You can play BOTH….. I have a LVL 80 of each class. It’s not an EITHER/OR selection process.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

You can play BOTH….. I have a LVL 80 of each class. It’s not an EITHER/OR selection process.

If you feel you need to be decked out in full ascended for roaming then no it isn’t. In a 1v1 situation between players of evenish skill level ascended makes a huge difference. Just the time gating on the materials for your armor/weapons adds up to about a month of grinding.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

WvW is a sandbox, and is literally what you make of it.

I personally don’t roam much, since I can get that kind of satisfaction from spvp. I would if I could record youtube videos without slowing my FPS to poop levels (I have a mac:( )

I’m part of a fight oriented WvW guild on a T2 server. We go around looking for other groups to fight, more so than we look for points to capture. Its a lot of fun, and we also are getting into GvG, which is a slightly more structured form of fights.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I’m still torn between the Guardian and Warrior. can folks who played them both extensively comment on their fun factor and general experience with both classes in PVE environment please

Here’s my take on it.

Guardian: Less Mobility, Less Damage, Higher Support, Higher Damage Mitigation.

Usage Tendencies (from [most] important to [least]:

Small Group Support
Zerg Spearheading
Roaming

Bluntly put: Guardian has high survivability, but only average damage. Roaming fights when alone TEND TO take longer due to this, which could be a bad thing as it allows targeted enemies / scouts to call for backup.

When Guardian is paired with [insert class here], damage potential, survivability, and effectiveness increase largely for the pair/group.

Guardian is Average Effectiveness, Minimally volatile (Guardians can deal with anything, slowly.). Pair with DPS class for ohgoddestruction.

Warrior: Higher Mobility, Higher Damage, Less Support, Less Damage mitigation.

Usage Tendencies (from [most] important to [least]:

Roaming
Small Group Support
Zerg Spearheading

Bluntly put: Warriors have high damage, but average survivability. Roaming fights when alone TEND TO be quicker, but are also more volatile (you can lose easier) because Warriors have less condition and damage mitigation than Guardians.

When Warrior is paired with [insert class here], damage potential, survivability, and effectiveness increase modestly for the pair/group. Warriors often have to be specifically traited for above-average group support.

Warrior is High Effectiveness, Moderately volatile (Warriors can easily devour other classes, but are at a loss if overwhelmed with conditions). Mostly used for Frontline Zerg and Roaming, due to independence.

Warrior if you like doing things yourself, with the occasional Party.
Guardian if you like doing things as a group, with the occasional solo.

both Warrior and Guardian can be hard-traited and armored to pseudo-emulate their opposing roles. Warrior can be traited in defense and Armored in Toughness to simulate Guardian Tankiness at the cost of raw power, and Guardian can be traited in power and Armored in power at the cost of some tankiness.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.