When to use which salvage kit?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Shozzru.7493

Shozzru.7493

Hey guys,

I just made my first “Mystic Salvage Kit” but I don’t really want to waste it. So I was wondering, which kits do I use when salvaging what rarity item type? I was previously using the Fine kit for everything that was Fine and below, Journeyman’s for Masterwork and then Master’s for above that. Is that correct or should I be doing it differently?

Thanks!

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Hey guys,

I just made my first “Mystic Salvage Kit” but I don’t really want to waste it. So I was wondering, which kits do I use when salvaging what rarity item type? I was previously using the Fine kit for everything that was Fine and below, Journeyman’s for Masterwork and then Master’s for above that. Is that correct or should I be doing it differently?

Thanks!

I use:
BL (when I have them, otherwise mystic) for exotics
Mystic for rares
Basic for everything else

~EW

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

TP is better for rares. TP will usually get you more for exotics too, but make sure the rune or sigil isn’t worth a lot. Some runes go for huge prices, and in that case use the BL kit.

Basic for everything else.

Posted by: Shozzru.7493

Shozzru.7493

Thank you for the replies but what is TP?

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Trading Post. Rares can go for as much as like half a gold because people use them in the Mystic Forge to try to precursors. Well that’s my understanding of it anyway, I never mess around with the MF.

And with ectos selling for like 20 silver, you come out ahead in the long run. Sometimes you’ll get 3 ectos from a rare salvage, a lot of times you won’t get any. Selling the rare will be like 20 silver minimum.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Selling them on the Trading Post instead of salvaging them. I’d rather get the crafting mats from salvaging them, but ymmv

To elaborate a little on what I said previously, I don’t use the Black Lion kits on my rares because I use them up fast enough on the exotics I get. I’d rather have the better chance at globs of dark matter AND the ectos by using them on the exotics, instead of just globs by using them on rares. But the better chance of mystic kits to get globs is why I use them only on rares and (sometimes) exotics… don’t waste the mystic kits on anything less.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Generally speaking, you should use a Mystic Salvage Kit on Rare or Exotic gear IF the Trading Post sell value of the gear is less than break even point in relation to the Trading Post sell value of Globs of Ectoplasm.

To determine this break even point, we need to do the following:
1. Look up the current “buy it now” price for a Glob of Ectoplasm and multiply that amount by 1.15 (to offset the listing and selling fees). As of this exact moment, Ectos have a buy it now price of 27s38c. Multiplying 2738 by 1.15 gives us 2327.3, or 31s48c.

2. Factor in your chance to actually get an Ecto (0.875 when using Master/Mystic kits or 1.25 when using a Black Lion Salvage Kit) by dividing the result from step 1 against the 0.875 or 1.25 rate. If using a Mystic kit, your 31s48c is now 35s97c and if using a BLSK your 31s48c is now 27s37c.

3. Look up the sell price (either sell it now or listing) of the rare/exotic item you have. If it is greater than the Mystic/BLSK result from step 2 (whichever kit you intend to use), then you should SELL the item. If it is less than the result from step 2 then you should SALVAGE the item.

Generally, you should NEVER use BLSKs on rares as they cannot give you Dark Matter. Additionally, you should check all superior rune/sigil prices before you salvage any Exotics and use that as your primary determination of whether to use a Master/Mystic or BLSK on them.

Server: Devona’s Rest

(edited by mtpelion.4562)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are hundreds of different ‘efficient’ ways to choose which salvage kit to use. If you are just starting out in salvaging all the things, here’s my recommendation for keeping it simple:

• Masterwork, Fine, or less: Basic, especially the copper-fed gemshop tool.
  • Rare armor: Mystic/Master kit or silver-fed.
  • Rare weapon: if >25s, sell on the trading post, otherwise same as rare armor.
  • Exotic: sell on trading post, unless you can use it yourself.

Astute traders and veteran looters will realize that the above rules are simplistic and are not as efficient as possible. However, this system has the following advantages: it’s fast (especially useful in the labyrinth), it’s easy to remember, and it requires very few decisions. This gives you a lot of value for the least effort, allowing you to spend more time playing the game.

Once you can do the above in your sleep, then it makes sense to ask yourself: what other value might there be in making other choices about how to deal with the boatloads of loot we get?

tl;dr until you can efficiently deal with your loot, stick to the simplest system possible: basic for greens or worse, mystic for rares, and sell exotics on the TP.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I use mystic, master, or silver fed on all L68+ rare armor and all exotic equipment with cheap runes or sigils that I wish to salvage instead of selling.

Rare weapons are always sold.

Black Lion Salvage Kits are use to capture expensive runes or sigils.

All other equipment except <L68 rare are Salvaged with inexpensive kits or the copper fed machine.