Where to get better recipes for crafting?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: optimuscrime.7204

optimuscrime.7204

OK, so I chose weaponsmith for my charr warrior and really fast got into this spot where I see no point in making weapons I know already since they are majorly worse than the stuff I have already. So here’s the question – where do I get crafting recipes? Or I have to craft every weapon and get to a certian level in that crafting skill to get the better weapons and stuff? Thanks for the answers in advance.

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

After level 375 in all disciplines save for Chef, you will need to buy a recipe sheet from the related master crafter to unlock the recipe for a rare inscription. From 400 onwards you can craft exotics, which are the only viable way to get to 500. They work the same way as getting rare inscriptions, except the formula is different. If you do not have any interest in ascended weapons, then you can simply stop at 400.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

optimuscrime.7204

Ok. How do I get to level 400? Just craft crappy stuff?

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Pretty much. On the bright side, you can sell that crappy stuff on the TP or salvage it for those essences which improve your Magic find.

Polka will never die

optimuscrime.7204

OK, thanks for the advice.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Look at gw2crafting.net. Most times you advance and unlock better recipes by discovery.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As ozmaniandevil notes, discovery is the key. It’s not clear from your OP that you know you can learn new recipes by using the discovery tab, mixing and matching to get variations. The bulk of your xp will come from those discoveries. If you’re only making things already in your production tab, you’ll have a long sad expensive grind.

Guides help hugely if you don’t want the thrill of figuring it out yourself.

optimuscrime.7204

Discovery looked like a waste honestly. I thought I could just buy recipes to craft better stuff. No dice.

Posted by: Poitus.2860

Poitus.2860

You can buy recipes for ‘rare’ level inscriptions (therefore items) from around crafting level 125 (I think – might be earlier???). I usually only do that if I have the actual components, or want to raise my crafting level because it’s usually much cheaper to just buy the intended weapon.
Cya
Pete

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Discovery is the main source of leveling a craft, and you are fooling yourself if you believe it can be done without discoveries. The free recipes give you a nice headstart every 75 levels, but in between, you need to rely on discovery.

Discovery yields at least twice as much crafting experience as a purchased recipe of the same level. Also, since discovered recipes are generally for lower quality items (blue, green) than the purchased recipes (yellow and better), discovery also requires fewer fine ingredients per recipe.

Also, each profession can produce at least one category of items that are not the standard equipment. Leatherworker, Tailor and Armorsmith produce bags (of which the higher tiers require a very expensive reagent, but the lower level ones are cheap and useful enough). Weaponsmith, Huntsman and Artificer produce consumables that function alongside food, with Artificer also providing alternate potions and tonics. Many of these items are next to useless, but give very good crafting experience and cost relatively little in ingredients.
In addition, rare (yellow) crafting materials can be used to make discoveries for runes (for armormaking crafts) and sigils (for weaponmaking crafts)

Finally, it is very important to realize that it is not required to make all discoveries. You should typically limit yourself to discoveries of recipes no more than 25 crafting levels below your current level, as the crafting experience gain is greatly reduced for discoveries far below your current level. (Only do this if you really want to learn every recipe.)

Disclaimer: None of this really applies for leveling a craft from 400 to 500. Look for specific advice if you are at that stage.

Posted by: Talenna.4052

Talenna.4052

I’ve found this crafting guide to be the best. If you don’t have time to blast it all out at once, you can do it in stages.

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

Look at gw2crafting.net. Most times you advance and unlock better recipes by discovery.

this

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

The wiki http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting has some very useful info. Each tier has 3 levels of 25 points. When I am in the beginning of each tier I refine the materials I will need for the whole tier when I am low enough to get some crafting XP for it. Then I make the components I will need for the whole tier (so I can get XP for it), then the few insignias or inscriptions I will need for the first level. Then in the discovery panel I combine those insignia/inscriptions with the components until I reach the next level. Then make the insignias/inscriptions for the second level and go to discovery panel. Then repeat for the master level of the tier. How many components to make depends on if you use a crafting bonus or not. If I don’t have enough materials I get them before I start. That way I get crafting XP for refining mats, building components and for discovering finished pieces.