Which Crafting skills to learn?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: bilbojj.1936

bilbojj.1936

I am a returning player after years of being away i currently dont have HoT but hoping to get it once i at least get back to max lvl and sort out some crafting/gear. my question is what crafting should i pick up first while i am leveling or is it better to just sell my crafting mats?

Thanks all

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

All of them. However, if I had it to do over again, I would do all of my armor crafting on one character, and all weapon crafting on another. That way, the inscriptions and insignias only have to be purchased once each.

I would use a third character for Jeweler and Chef. (And Scribing, but don’t do that until you are rich enough to afford it, and in a guild where it makes sense.)

What I ACTUALLY did (vs. what I WOULD do, above) is have my first eight characters each have one primary crafting discipline. That character is my go-to character for that specific crafting. So, eight characters, eight crafting disciplines. (Later, I added two more to each, but those eight are the ones who get all the unique recipes, each in their “master” discipline.) So, my necro is my tailor, and it is he who I go to whenever I need to craft any high-end light armor. Similarly, my ranger is my huntsman, and I go to her for the high-end huntsman-crafting weapons.

I had one of each profession, but the crafting discipline wasn’t chosen because of that, except very loosely. I just wanted eight crafters, and coincidentally eight professions. (It was sheer luck that my 9th character happened to be a revenant AND got the new scribing discipline.)

Posted by: bilbojj.1936

bilbojj.1936

Thanks for your reply alot to think about

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m very happy with my accidental setup.

• Elementalist: weaponsmith & tailor
  • Mesmer: armorsmith & jeweler
  • Thief: huntsman & artificer
  • Engineer: chef & leather

The elementalist can do all the ascended dailies, so I don’t have to go back & forth to LA except for the rare occasion when I need specific items.

That way, the inscriptions and insignias only have to be purchased once each.

You’ve forgotten: inscriptions & insignias and all other purchased recipes only have to be purchased once — they are unlocked for the account now.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Daddicus.6128

You’ve forgotten: inscriptions & insignias and all other purchased recipes only have to be purchased once — they are unlocked for the account now.

I was thinking the high-end ones, like viper, sinister, and others like that. The ones you have to buy the recipe from some NPC, or the ones where you have to earn the recipe somehow.

You’re quite right on all the ones below level-80 rares, though.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I was thinking the high-end ones, like viper, sinister, and others like that. The ones you have to buy the recipe from some NPC, or the ones where you have to earn the recipe somehow.

All recipes are learned for your entire account now. So, while you have to buy/get a recipe for each individual piece, you only have to learn each recipe once per account.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Which apply to your profession, in terms of armor weight and primary weapon type?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

All recipes learned from a consumable are unlocked for all characters on the account, regardless of the level, discipline, or source. All of them. This includes specific recipes from heart/karma vendors, ascended recipes from laurel/master-crafter vendors, drops from foes, or purchased from any other NPC.

The only recipes that remain locked per character are those learned via crafting itself. That includes those that unlock automatically as you gain ranks in the discipline and those that must be ‘discovered’ by combining things in the top tab.

It has nothing specific to do with level.

Consequently, we no longer have to worry about “which character knows which recipe” — all characters know them all (or will learn them for free, as you need them).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Daddicus.6128

All recipes are learned for your entire account now. So, while you have to buy/get a recipe for each individual piece, you only have to learn each recipe once per account.

Goodness, I had no idea!

OP, ignore my whole later post. It’s useless now.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Up to 80, I would salvage everything and sell everything that isn’t mithril, silk, elder wood, or thick leather (you will need a lot eventually.)

In terms of crafting, I’d go Chef first, because it’s one of the cheaper choices and has a lot of utility. Then I’d go with Weaponsmith, Huntsman, or Artifactor.

This depends on what weapons you will use. Pick the craft that covers the most. During this time, as you progress in craft, you may try crafting the crafter’s backpacks.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafter%27s_backpack
These end up as exotic backpieces that have similar stats to ascended backpieces and are only a few gold in total to craft.

After that, you’ll want to juggle around the 2 remaining weaponcrafts depending on what you need, maybe a detour at jeweler (not important), and then the armor craft that you need, but I’d put that at the end, as it is the most expensive.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Kir Sakar.3647

Kir Sakar.3647

Up to 80, I would salvage everything and sell everything that isn’t mithril, silk, elder wood, or thick leather (you will need a lot eventually.)

Why would you do that if you are just about to level your first crafting discipline? You need all those materials. It is way more expensive to buy them off the TP later, especially the lower tier materials.

Also it is not true that the other mats are not needed at lvl80, the ascended refined materials use a lot of lower tier materials. And they are harder to come by at lvl80.

I would advise the other way around, keep any crafting mat you can get during leveling and salvage all your old armor during leveling to get materials.

I would start with either a weapon or armor discipline that fits to your class and add one of the generic (chef or jeweler) as a second. The reason is that this spreads your demand of materials more evenly. I started out with Tailor and Artificier as a new player and ALWAYS was short on fangs, claws, scales etc.

Charr Chronomancer | Asura Tempest | Charr Druid | Charr Guardian
(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

ArchonWing.9480

Why would you do that if you are just about to level your first crafting discipline? You need all those materials. It is way more expensive to buy them off the TP later, especially the lower tier materials.

Also it is not true that the other mats are not needed at lvl80, the ascended refined materials use a lot of lower tier materials. And they are harder to come by at lvl80.

Because leveling isn’t the same as leveling the crafting discipline. Also I never said the other materials aren’t needed. They’re simply of lower priority and are secondary to other needs.

There are much more important things such as building enough bank to pay for waypoints, gathering tools, upgrades, and equipment. All of that isn’t made by sub t5
materials. So they are turned into gold.

It’s far more efficient to hit 80, and start farming, and then buy everything back (or farm as needed). Holding 50 gold worth of material when you only have 5 gold in your wallet and aren’t 80 yet doesn’t help much. When you have several hundred gold, the 50 or so gold of materials is going to be inconsequential, and you can simply buy it back. Sometimes with buy orders, the loss from TP fees is so minimal, and often times it actually comes out positive.

In the past when crafting gave a hefty chunk of experience, I could seem some logic in that, but with the advent of Tomes of Knowledge, I don’t think it’s worth it. With the exception fo Chef, sinking money and mats into a half done crafting profession is worse than having none at all, as it really only starts to pay off at 400.

One can also use a spare slot to open bags on a midlevel character (use the free tomes you get to level it).

As for ascended, that is wayyyyy down on the road map, and simply isn’t a thought atm.

I would start with either a weapon or armor discipline that fits to your class and add one of the generic (chef or jeweler) as a second. The reason is that this spreads your demand of materials more evenly. I started out with Tailor and Artificier as a new player and ALWAYS was short on fangs, claws, scales etc.

I actually don’t recommend jeweler at all beyond the achievement, as besides a few niche crafts, it’s effectively a dead end profession. Exotic jewelry is too quickly obsoleted by ascended ones that are bought with laurels (or even quicker through guild missions/fractals). It is cheap though, but still a luxury and I think as a result it should be done with spare resources.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Kir Sakar.3647

Because leveling isn’t the same as leveling the crafting discipline. Also I never said the other materials aren’t needed.

There are much more important things such as building enough bank to pay for waypoints, gathering tools, upgrades, and equipment. All of that isn’t made by sub t5

But OP said they are leveling AND want to start a crafting discipline, and that is perfectly fine since crafting progress promotes your leveling progress.

You seem to approach this game in a capitalitic sense, like monopoly: Build up stocks quickly etc. But this is not how this game works, in my opinion. You loose 15% in fees each time you use the TP, so you literally delete gold when selling mats just to buy tham back later.

Also, you really do not need a lot of gold while leveling, especially travelling is cheap. While I was leveling and crafting at the same time, I was occasionally short on materials, but never on gold.

EDIT: We seem to have different philosophies, I strongly dislike the Min/Max approach. Where is the fun in discovery and experimenting?

(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

(edited by Kir Sakar.3647)

Kir Sakar.3647

(Sorry, for some reason I posted this double…)

(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

(edited by Kir Sakar.3647)

Kir Sakar.3647

Forum Bug, apparantly…

(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

ArchonWing.9480

Because leveling isn’t the same as leveling the crafting discipline. Also I never said the other materials aren’t needed.

But OP said they are leveling AND want to start a crafting discipline, and that is perfectly fine since crafting progress promotes your leveling progress.

The OP stated:

my question is what crafting should i pick up first while i am leveling or is it better to just sell my crafting mats?

So my answer is to sell crafting materials while leveling and then target various professions. Obviously you can keep some at your discretion or level some, but I’m just going to say that doing that will for the most part slow you do, as the crafts just don’t help much at low levels.

And sure, crafting does give you experience, but with free tomes that isn’t that big of a deal anyways. There’s also some incentive to slow down in the mid-levels so you can pick up a lot of gold from salvaging/selling.

You seem to approach this game in a capitalitic sense, like monopoly: Build up stocks quickly etc. But this is not how this game works, in my opinion. There are no returns or rents on your gold stock… In fact, you loose 15% in fees each time you use the TP, so you literally delete gold when selling mats just to buy tham back later.

I think you missed something. Yes, you might lose gold. But it’s inconsequential compared to getting level 80 equipment faster, the ability to buy upgrades from the gem store, more slots, salvage kits.

Also, you really do not need a lot of gold while leveling, especially travelling is cheap. While I was leveling and crafting at the same time, I was occasionally short on materials, but never on gold.

You don’t. But it’s nice to have a good amount once you hit 80 so you can gear up in oranges, no?

Kir Sakar.3647

You don’t. But it’s nice to have a good amount once you hit 80 so you can gear up in oranges, no?

Sure, preferably a self-crafted set. First thing I did was craft my frist character a full exotic viper’s set (you would say “a waste of money” but it was fun, and I still use it in WvW).

That would’t have been possible without having my tailor leveled at 400 beforehand. I even had enough gold to buy most of the nesserary lineseed oil and some hardenend leather from the TP. Without selling a single material and without any farming. Gold really isn’t an issue, even for casuals like me.

(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

ArchonWing.9480

Sure, preferably a self-crafted set. First thing I did was craft my frist character a full exotic viper’s set (you would say “a waste of money” but it was fun, and I still use it in WvW).

That would’t have been possible without having my tailor leveled at 400 beforehand. I even had enough gold to buy most of the nesserary lineseed oil and some hardenend leather from the TP. Without selling a single material and without any farming. Gold really isn’t an issue, even for casuals like me.

Well. That is certainly fine if it works for you. Though you don’t get to craft vipers immediately on hitting 80 until you have bought the recipe. I guess you could have used less than exotics but given the common complaints about difficulty and gold on these forums, I wouldn’t suggest that to people looking fir advice.

It is intresting you were thinking I would call viper exotic a waste and I do, but there is a limit to that being an opinion. Because to me, selling materials and getting them back may result in lost gold is the same thing as exotics ultimately ending up as lost gold when you replace it with ascended. But ut really isn’t because you are making use of something for somethibg better.

Anyhow, fun is subjective and when giving general advice I try to avoid personal prefernce, so if it sounds minmax which it really isn’t it is, I am just writing with the assumption people do not share the same idea of fun. So it is not really an attack on someone.’s sryle.

Honestly though I think my suggestions work because it lets people realize they can get some decent progression and gold which lets them do stuff they want even before 80. That way people can realize there is no need to rush and just play the game. And l 30-60 is a good time for this as one staets to unlock more traits, skills, and waypoints, so there are lot of things to do. I have seen too many people blaze to 80 without a plan and thry think it is impossible to get anything because they want the world.

I don’t expect anyone else to agree but there you are.

Kir Sakar.3647

Anyhow, fun is subjective and when giving general advice I try to avoid personal prefernce, so if it sounds minmax which it really isn’t it is, I am just writing with the assumption people do not share the same idea of fun. So it is not really an attack on someone.’s sryle.

Agreed, it is probably just impossible to leave personal preference out of advice, at least for me. Since there is so many ways how to achieve goals in this game and of course I will see it through my “filter”. OP can take away from here what he finds appealing from him.

(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

Posted by: altermaven.7385

altermaven.7385

This is the ideal two-stage professions you might want if you’re gearing the character:

Light: Tailor and..>
Elementalist: Artificer. Get a weaponsmith to make daggers.
Necromancer: Artificer or Weaponsmith; if you already have one, use the other.
Mesmer: Weaponsmith (swords/greatsword), Artificer (scepter/foci/staff). Huntsman is a waste, you can get torch/pistol from else.

Medium: Leatherworker and..>
Ranger: Huntsman or Weaponsmith. If you already have one, use the other.
Engineer: Jeweler, or Huntsman if you make this your first
Thief: Weaponsmith (Swords/daggers) or Huntsman (Pistols/Short-bow)

Heavy: Armorsmith and..
Warrior: Weaponsmith, without a doubt; you can get rifle/longbow or warhorn from a Huntsman, thus not worth investing.
Guardian: Weaponsmith or Artificer (Staff, Scepter/Foci; do know Scepter is Guardian’s ranged weapon). Not worth investing Huntsman just for torches.
Revenant (Heart Of Thorns only): Weaponsmith. Artificer just for staff is not worth it.

Remember: Huntsman makes spearguns, Artificer tridents, Weaponsmith spears.

If you already have an armory character settled (e.g. Warrior has Armorsmith and rolling Guardian), replace with Jeweler.
If you already have a Jeweler, replace with Chef.

“To be rid of chaos, all must restore the balance.”
Part of the [PORT] mystical tour – “Marilee Mangletooth.” What main?
Something something Autechre fanatic.