Which is the best profession for me?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: AZY.8352

AZY.8352

Hi All

Since the free level 80 boost came out, I’ve been thinking: What’s the best profession for me?

Really, I don’t know! I suppose I don’t have enough experience or understanding of the professions to know – and to be honest I’d rather not spend hours trying out different builds and weapon sets on every profession in the test environment to find out. I don’t mind trying out a few different professions/builds/weapons, but a little direction first would be nice…

My dream character would be one which:
Does good damage (without extremely long cooldowns)
Isn’t TOO easy to kill (not looking for a glass cannon)
Doesn’t rely on the enemy running through/staying on an area to receive damage (not a fan of wells or traps)
Doesn’t have loads and loads of moves I need to learn how to use and combo (like ele’s 4 skill bars instead of 2)
Is able to perform well in all game types (sPvP, WvW groups or roaming, Fractals and other PvE content)

Can you help???

(edited by AZY.8352)

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Sounds like a textbook Warrior to me.

AZY.8352

Yeah? I hadn’t thought about them because everyone keeps trashing them on the forums (particularly the PvP ones). Saying how anet has abandoned their development and left them performing worse than any other class.

What are they REALLY like?

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

They are in your face Direct
Warrior is rather easy to learn, the Problem is to get better as a warrior in pvp. Our skills are quite easy to make out and therefore to evade. But if you want to suprise people go warrior. The latest patch have us an interesting change in sustain. Right now many people are not used to fighting Warriors in pvp or roaming wvw and underestimate us more often than not.
But before you think if pvp forum opinions, you may want to learn the class. Warrior is mobile. In my opinion perfect for exploring and warrior is reliable in dungeons and fractals. I have 4 warriors, you might call me biased:D.
One thing to keep in mind is visual fidelity. The race you choose defines your animations. For example Norn might feel sluggish but their male axe evicerate one of the most amazing abimations in game imho. So if you want to play warrior, considered your race and gender as well. Do a trial run if you are unsure.

Sartharina.3542

Yeah? I hadn’t thought about them because everyone keeps trashing them on the forums (particularly the PvP ones). Saying how anet has abandoned their development and left them performing worse than any other class.

That’s only because they haven’t played guardian :P

What are they REALLY like?

Biggest problem in PvP is Traitline Diversity. You’re pretty much stuck with Defense and Berzerker (Everyone’s stuck with their elite spec). But warriors actually aren’t quite as stuck with berzerker as other classes are with their elite spec, since it’s really just ‘Moar Damage", and the other traitlines all bring significant specialization strengths (Strength is mobility and damage, and support when paired with Tactics. Tactics is support. Discipline is the foundation traitline, so it’s pretty much mandatory if you want any flexibility, but it can be ditched if you don’t need it. Defense is perhaps an over-concentration of the Warrior’s survivability). The new patch has changed warrior viability up again after months of flagging. It’ll be a while before the meta settles.

As awesome as greatsword is, the other weapons do give unique playstyles and room to experiment, and with Discipline’s “Fast Hands” minor trait, you can swap and combo weapon skills more readily in combat.
Longbow seems to be the go-to support weapon, with its trait being in Tactics, and providing ranged damage, a (Fire) combo field, and a blast finisher, in addition to a few control effects.
Greatsword is an all-around solid weapon, with an evade, excellent cleave (Every skill but 5, but dat F1 is SPIN TO WIN), mobility (3 and 5), range (4) and burst damage (2) … but it completely lacks CC (It used to have a daze for an F1, but that sucked. Now we have SPIN OF DEATH). Which is provided by Hammers and maces.

It has the highest baseline survivability of any class without needing to resort to fancy tricks. Unfortunately, it also lacks a number of survivability-enhancing fancy tricks. It provides solid offensive support in the form of shouts and banners, and, of course Phalanx Strength+Forceful Greatsword for All The Might.

In PvP, the warrior is valuable as either a solid bunker, or as a short-lived smartbomb in teamfights (Avoid 1-on-1 as warrior against most classes, I think. You are most effective when you’re cleaving through your plural enemies, with someone behind to mop up the mess you leave)

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

I’d go with thief, actually. does amazing damage and has a lot of defensive options, and doesn’t use “rotations”

AZY.8352

Okay, warrior sounds good – I’ll try it out!

I actually wanted to play warrior originally when I started GW2, but I chose a guardian instead, thinking they would have access to greater healing and support. But as I said, traps are not for me and elite specs are basically a must – plus I hated the low vitality.

Went onto necro next, enjoyed that a lot, but (playing as a condition-precision-toughness scepter/staff reaper) found the amount of damage I could put out is unsatisfyingly low. Didn’t really want to go full glass viper either.

Maybe warrior will be for me!?

I’ve also considered ranger, but since their elite spec is druid, how good is their damage?

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

ranger is the second lowest damage class in the game

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Ranger meets all the requirements you listed (though I can’t speak to spvp). I have thoroughly enjoyed mine tbh.

AZY.8352

Okay guys, conflicting views :-P
Does ranger do decent damage or not?

Also, are there any decent warrior builds around at the moment that don’t use berserker? You can’t test elite specs in the 80 boost trial

Sartharina.3542

Also, are there any decent warrior builds around at the moment that don’t use berserker? You can’t test elite specs in the 80 boost trial

Phalanx Strength. Strength, Tactics, Discipline.Or replace Discipline with Arms for more crits, or Defense for more survivability.

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

I have done good damage with ranger in PVE areas. I can’t speak to how they do in pvp, they should be fine in wvw.

You can do a pretty good condi warrior build with LB and sword/sword. Arms traitline, and not sure about what other ones.