Which profession best with high latency?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Ludo.9542

Ludo.9542

Just picked up the game and am trying to choose a profession but am finding conflicting advice online.

I’m playing from Australia and my latency is permanently 300+. I know I will not excel in PVP but would like to be good at PVE (dungeons and exploration both).

Some people say play Guardian as its the most forgiving of mistakes. Others say don’t play a melee class as you can’t dodge.

Any advice? Unfortunately I have very limited time to play so trying out all the classes before making a decision is not really practical.

Posted by: Elathan.4902

Elathan.4902

From what I’ve seen, a warrior is pretty forgiving of mistakes too. The warrior has higher base health than the guardian.

Every class has to dodge, not just the melee ones. It’s something you’ll have to get used to, and hopefully your latency won’t affect it too badly.

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

The most forgiving professions probably are Ranger and Turret Engineer (maybe Minion Master Necromancer too), if latency is the issue, because in case of a latency spike a pet/minion or a dropped turret will still continue to attack while you are blocked. This will make it more likely for you to be still alive when latency goes back to normal.

Posted by: virtualtourist.6438

virtualtourist.6438

G’day! :-)

I would try Guardian, Warrior or Necromancer as a first character. All three have simple profession mechanics and builds that are more forgiving of mistakes. Warriors and Necros have high base health to act as a buffer. Guardians have low base health, but also have access to several Blinds and Blocks that let you avoid damage entirely. Those effects tend to last a few seconds so latency is less of an issue.

Mesmers are also a viable choice for the same reasons as Turret Engis and Minion Master Necros.

Avoid the “high risk, high reward” professions (Elementalist, Thief) until you’ve had more experience playing the game. They are totally playable even with high latency but can be quite demanding for a new player.

I would avoid Rangers as a first character…only because you can learn some bad habits since it’s a bit too easy to let your pet do the tanking for you at the lower levels. When you get to more difficult fights you can easily find your pet downed and yourself lacking the necessary reflexes to survive.

Like Elathan said, every profession has to learn to dodge…

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Warrior with healing signet or guardian with its blocks. Necro has high health but is rarely wanted in dungeons and has problems with its conditions and the meta bosses.

I saw a warrior once afk in Frostgorge bring beat on by a mob and his health was barely budging. He had the healing signet. He eventually died when a second mob joined in but one wasn’t doing anything that passive healing couldn’t handle. Add a food for toughness or increased healing and you should be able to take a lot.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

From Australia also here, so I have experience with latency too. To be honest, it’s only sometimes an issue. Don’t buy a musical instrument from the gemstore and the labyrinthine cliffs are occasionally a problem (although this time it seems better).

Dungeons aren’t really a problem as most of the big attacks are telegraphed. You will usually be expected to melee anyway.

In pvp I am slightly worse than average, but can still take down an unskilled player happily. While I would like to believe that latency is holding back my god like skills at pvp I suspect that the main reason I struggle is that I’m not very good.