Which profession most resembles a Witcher?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Mar.4839

Mar.4839

Hopefully this is the correct place to start this topic, if not then I’d appreciate if it can be moved to the correct sub-forum, thanks!

Hiya guys I’ve been reading The Witcher short stories and novels lately and the things Geralt can do sound really fun. I was wondering if there’s a profession that closely resembles the abilities of a Witcher.

I’ll be honest though, I tend to lean towards the Ranger but it always has a pet whereas Geralt is more of a…lone wolf. (Who gets the joke here? lol)

Or do you think his abilities are spread out through the other professions and there isn’t one close enough? I’ll appreciate the opinions, as it would help me pick which class to play.

EDIT: Oops sorry, here’s a video explaining what a Witcher actually is

Tldr; They’re supernatural warrior-monks that hunt monsters with their swords, and drink elixirs to gain buffs. They can also cast some magic like a force knockback and fire.

(edited by Mar.4839)

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Would be nice to give an explanation of what this Witcher character is like, since some people (me) have not read it and therefore have no idea what to compare to XD

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

From Wikipedia:

“Witchers are taken in as children and subjected to potions and martial training for most of their young life. Ultimately, only about 40% of the children survive the final trial and potion. The process gives a witcher special powers, such as the use of low-level magical abilities based on the four elements, faster movement, rapid healing, quicker reflexes, and the ability to drink toxic potions that would harm normal people. The only downside is that Witchers become infertile when they pass the trials.”

I’m thinking an axe/dagger necromancer, who ignores minions and instead focuses on wells and signets.

Posted by: Mar.4839

Mar.4839

Thanks! That description really helps and should supplement the video I linked

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Elementalists have a variety of magical abilities based on the four elements, including faster movement (Signet of Air and various Air attunement spells,) some excellent healing (Water spells,) and the ability to conjure elemental weapons. Fire Magic also has some “quick reflexes” skills in the form of Burning Retreat, Burning Speed, Heat Wave, and Flame Leap.

Nothing about potions, which sounds mechanically most similar to Engineers. I only played Engineer and Necro during beta, however, so someone else will have to tell you how well they line up.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Well, doesn’t truly exist like that. My best guess is that with a thief you might get close to some extent, the look, swordplay – but not the fire and some more magical gimmicks.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

“Witchers are taken in as children and subjected to potions and martial training for most of their young life. Ultimately, only about 40% of the children survive the final trial and potion. The process gives a witcher special powers, such as the use of low-level magical abilities based on the four elements, faster movement, rapid healing, quicker reflexes, and the ability to drink toxic potions that would harm normal people. The only downside is that Witchers become infertile when they pass the trials.”

Going off that bolded section, elementalist. You must cycle through the four elemental attunements (fire, water, air, and earth) constantly to stay afloat in battles. Eles are capable of stacking lots of swiftness on themselves and others, and have a permanent +25% movement speed ability. As they are the class with the lowest base armor and HP pool, an ele must be quick on their feet to survive, constantly moving and dodging. When built right, at endgame, they have strong self-healing capabilities. Then there’s also the fact that Witchers use two swords, which could probably translate to double daggers on an elementalist.

On the other hand, an ele is exclusively about attacking with magic- daggers aren’t ever used to stab enemies, but as foci for spells. I would also recommend trying each of the classes and playing the one you feel is more fun rather than tying yourself to a class for the sake of homage.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

(edited by Falunel.7645)

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Ele would be my first choice here for obvious reasons . The Engineer would be my second do to their elixers and kits

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Personally, the witcher feels a lot as necromancers. They have the same cruel look on the world while still remaining the romance off them.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!