Which skills have high single-hit damage?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Ygdrad.7839

Ygdrad.7839

I’m trying to come up with a list of skills which have high single-hit damage to decide on a class to try a build on. Can you list the ones you know?

Good examples would be the warrior’s Eviscerate and Kill Shot.

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

If we compare wiki numbers between the classes, comparable skills on elementalist:

(Warrior reference numbers: Eviscerate – 731, Kill Shot – 792)
Churning Earth (Offhand Dagger) – 1092
Fire Grab (Offhand Dagger) – 941, but requires opponent has the burning condition
Dragon’s Tooth (Mainhand Scepter) – 756

If you were to back these up via utilities, elementalists also have Arcane Power, which forces the next 5 attacks to crit. That said, of all of these, the delay between using the attack and it connecting is longer than kill shot, except for fire grab, which relies on the opponent being on fire. You could also use Arcane Shield to block enemy attacks during the cast period, or Armor of Earth to give yourself stability for long enough to finish casting.

As for trait support, I suppose you could maximise the damage by taking Fire to 30 and picking up all the traits that increase damage there. For example, Fire III : 5% more damage to burning foes, Fire VI: 10% more damage when attuned to fire (you can attune to fire during the cast of churning earth to benefit), Fire XI: Gain a stack of might per spell used while in fire; Fire’s grandmaster trait adds a further 5% to burning foes. If you really need to burn things, add in Cleansign Flame as a utility to have an instant-speed burn you can cast during the channel for the big spells.
You could then take Earth 25 for the traits Earth VI: 5% more damage whenever within a distance of 50 (which actually works within a range of 600 units…), Earth VII: 10% more damage when attuned to earth, Earth’s Grandmaster trait adds another 10% damage when at full endurance
And finally Arcane 15 for Lingering Elements, which maintains the attunement bonuses for 5 seconds after attuning, so you can get the 10% from being in fire and the 10% from being in earth at the same time., plus you also get 2 seconds fury when switching attunements from the Arcane 5 minor trait, and you could use the trait slot for Arcane I (Arcane spells i.e. Arcane Power have a 20% CD reduction) or Arcane III (Cast arcane power automatically at 75% health).

This all gives a final damage multiplier of 45% to a burning foe within 600 units of distance while endurance is full, and regular stacks of might while in fire attunement.

And theeeen whatever gear you had in mind. Dunno how huge the hit from this would be, though. And one hit kinda says you’re going for master of overkill… in which case you may want to look into Air instead of Fire for crit damage% and no dependence on burning foes.

I thought about this way too much.

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

Thief backstab
Thief Heartseeker
Engineers Blunderbuss

Ygdrad.7839

Thanks for your input, but the wiki really can’t be relied on which is why I’m asking people, eviscerate and kill shot actually have a base of 1000-1200, and the wiki claims that the command activation of Sword of Justice has a 2300 damage base which ,after testing, it didn’t even come close to.

I’m actually testing stuff with the Superior Sigil of Intelligence and AOE attacks are really iffy as the one crit in there seems random and skills involving multiple hits only crit on the first one.

I’m basically trying to figure out which classes can get the most use out of the sigil of intelligence to land single powerful crits without having to invest in precision.

(edited by Ygdrad.7839)

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

Thief backstab
Thief Heartseeker
Engineers Blunderbuss

Heartseeker actually does very little damage. It’s only 336 unless the enemy is under 50% hp. At less than 25% hp it does 672, but that still doesn’t compare with a kill shot or fire grab (when burning) damage amount. The reason people cry so hard about HS is that it can be spammed if you don’t mind burning up all your initiative.

/Backstab from behind is 806 damage

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

Don’t people usually say that a fully-charged Warrior Rifle F1 skill (Whatever it’s called) does too much craploads of damage?

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

I’m basically trying to figure out which classes can get the most use out of the sigil of intelligence to land single powerful crits without having to invest in precision.

I’ll just note again for this point then:
1) Elementalists can change attunement during cast time without interrupting spells, which would proc Sigil of Intelligence (a trick that couldn’t be used for Kill Shot…)
2) Arcane Power makes the next 5 hits crit (read: every single possible hit of an AoE, as they’re capped at 5 targets) and can be used without interrupting cast time

Though, admittedly, we don’t have a high damage single-target attack that I can think of.

Orion the Cursed.1206

Thief backstab
Thief Heartseeker
Engineers Blunderbuss

Heartseeker actually does very little damage. It’s only 336 unless the enemy is under 50% hp. At less than 25% hp it does 672, but that still doesn’t compare with a kill shot or fire grab (when burning) damage amount. The reason people cry so hard about HS is that it can be spammed if you don’t mind burning up all your initiative.

/Backstab from behind is 806 damage

Yeah but thief has more +damage traits compared to Ele so its easier to see a large number on a single hit on HS or backstab compared to firegrab. I dont care about QQ’s. This is just for the fun of the bigest damage number in 1 hit.

Edit: It wont work for OP anyways since thieves already get 100% crit chance from a stealth trait.

Posted by: HannaDeFreitas.4236

HannaDeFreitas.4236

Warrior’s Killshot = 15-18k
Warrior’s Eviscerate = 10-14k
Thief’s Backstab = 10k-12k
Warrior’s Arcing Arrow = 8k

Ygdrad.7839

So I take it the only thing to come even remotely close to the warrior’s single-hit damage is thief backstab? Anything else someone can think of?

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

Mesmer f1 shatter build

Orion the Cursed.1206

Mesmer f1 shatter build

is not single hit

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

Mesmer f1 shatter build

is not single hit

how is it not? hit f1 and bang.

If you say kill shot is, then this is. Takes kills to build up adrenaline to get full kill shot power. I can get 3 clones out in under a sec and hit f1 faster then a warrior can build a full bar of adrenaline.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

If we compare wiki numbers between the classes, comparable skills on elementalist:

(Warrior reference numbers: Eviscerate – 731, Kill Shot – 792)

If you only read the tooltips, you won’t get the real skill damage level. Warrior adrenaline skills seem to ignore the equipped weapon whereas the normal weapon skills count it. It’s mentioned on the Eviscerate page on the wiki. For example for Eviscerate you have :

Tooltip damage ignores weapon power. Actual damage for level 3 adrenaline is around 1023, or slighly more than 4x the damage of Chop.

Kill Shot equivalent tooltip damage is about 1276

Ygdrad.7839

Mesmer f1 shatter build

is not single hit

If you say kill shot is, then this is. Takes kills to build up adrenaline to get full kill shot power. I can get 3 clones out in under a sec and hit f1 faster then a warrior can build a full bar of adrenaline.

The mesmer F1 shatter is actually up to 4 hits(with persona), it is not a single hit. Just watch it in action and you’ll see. As for the speed at which a warrior can get his adrenaline, he can get it all instantly with the right skills or traits or in only a few short seconds just by hitting stuff.

You obviously don’t understand the workings of the 2 classes’ mechanics.

(edited by Ygdrad.7839)

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

Mesmer f1 shatter build

is not single hit

The mesmer F1 shatter is actually up to 4 hits(with persona), it is not a single hit. Just watch it in action and you’ll see. As for the speed at which a warrior can get his adrenaline, he can get it all instantly with the right skills or traits or in only a few short seconds just by hitting stuff.

You obviously don’t understand the workings of the 2 classes’ mechanics.

I think what he is getting at is potential damage.
A warrior from square one cannot use his highest damaging single attack without first making a bunch of other smaller ones first. He has the opportunity for the highest one-shot damage skill, but no ready access like other skills. It has to be charged first.

Much in the same way many other mechanics work, ie mesmer shatters.

3 shatters all at once would certainly be up there too, but it also required preparation. The damage potential is there, but its not on one button press out the door.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

A warrior from square one cannot use his highest damaging single attack without first making a bunch of other smaller ones first. He has the opportunity for the highest one-shot damage skill, but no ready access like other skills. It has to be charged first.

3 shatters all at once would certainly be up there too, but it also required preparation. The damage potential is there, but its not on one button press out the door.

Warriors can use their Healing Surge. >.>

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

Warriors can use their Healing Surge. >.>

yes, or their signet that recharges adrenaline. it’s still not a damaging skill by itself. You hit something else first, THEN your damaging skill, was the point. Potential, not out the door damage. (meaning, damage produced by the first button press)

regardless I still think the warrior kill shot would win out, even when next to a fully loaded mesmer shatter…but I could be wrong.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)