Why did you choose your race?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Ramiah.5648

Ramiah.5648

I got to wondering why people choose their races. So, why did you choose yours? Was it looks? Utlity skills? Personal story background? Character animations? General racial opinion toward the profession you wanted? Wanted to be a hipster/mainstream?

I’m torn between making a Sylvari or Human necromancer. I like how the Silvari looks better and the idea of “life and death” is fun- druidic powers mixed with necromancy. However, I am also interested in being a “religious” necromancer calling on the power of the gods in skills, and especially in choosing Dwayna as a patron to temper the darkness of necromancy. Also, being a noble-born necromancer sounds intriguing.

Thy faithful servant asketh for thy blessing. Honor us with the splendor of thy song.
Protect us… Holy Song!

(edited by Ramiah.5648)

Posted by: Pinder.5261

Pinder.5261

Sylvari – Because I’m a hippy.
Asura – Because they turned out way more awesome than I expected.
Human – Because… eh, why not?

Did not play Norn – Because their voices make me want to tear off my ears.
Did not play Charr – Because watching their necks makes my neck hurt.

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Sylvari – I like weed, ahem, I mean plants, and natural stuffs
Asura – Their voice and emotes are too fun to resist
Human – Because… human?

Did not play Norn – I don’t like this “personal glory/legend” thing that Norns promote so much about.
Did not play Charr- Don’t like furry, but still think they’re really cool, might make one soon.

Posted by: Yumad.7341

Yumad.7341

Human is the master race, we must eliminate the inferior scum.

Posted by: LithePanther.5027

LithePanther.5027

Human because it was the only race I could make look like the perfect form of the guy I’d like to date.

80 Guardian. 80 Warrior. 80 Thief. 80 Engineer. 80 Necromancer. 80 Ranger.

Posted by: Aly.3429

Aly.3429

Human/Female because I like the way they look.

Posted by: astindextor.8749

astindextor.8749

Female Norn – Claudia Christian is the reason. Susan Ivanova is one of my favourite characters in the history of fiction.
Charr – I like cat people that aren’t cutsey or anime catgirlish (not that those are inherently wrong, Ijust like the departure from trope).
Asura – to make my girlfriend squee

Posted by: Grazingcattle.1627

Grazingcattle.1627

Norn, and more Norn.

Because they are awesome at everything.

Viking Necro is awesome
Viking Guardian is awesome
Viking Elementalist is awesome
Viking Mesmer? yep still Awesome

Posted by: Kiteisa.3189

Kiteisa.3189

Asura all the way. Their voice acting is awesome. Their animation and emotes are the greatest, their story is fun, and they are all in all a superior race. I can’t be a salad, i mean a sylvarian, humans are too vanilla, Norn are huge and take up too much space and Charr are hard to jump with

Nottsgman’s Girl ~ Half of the Dynamic Duo

Posted by: tablespeaker.5864

tablespeaker.5864

i chose Sylvari because being a walking talking plant seemed a fun move away from the cliche races…however it turned out they are just glorified elves and with armour on you can barely tell what they are anyway. (though with the cultural armour they become much more what i was hoping for)

Asura because they are small and creepy looking….

Posted by: zargnath.9524

zargnath.9524

Just check my signature:)

Gnarl Blackfur – Charr ranger
Bob – Four legged shapeshifter
HeXagonis [HeX]

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Sylvari: their androgyne nature makes them interesting to me.
Human (x2): because I am one.

I have absolutely no interest in playing Asura, Norn or Charr. The former strikes me as poor comic relief, the middle as just big humans, the latter as physiologically impossible ugly things.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I just matched races with classes that I wanted to play.
Sylvari ranger, Asuran Necro (pets are as big as she is), Human ele, Norn engineer, Charr warrior.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Sylvari as my first because I was exploring a whole new world and that matched how Sylvari look at Tyria.
Charr second because I love cats.
Sylvari again because they really are cool.
Human because I think their background is interesting and admire their determination. Plus, most developed home instance I hear.
Norn for a joke character.

Posted by: Grazingcattle.1627

Grazingcattle.1627

Sylvari as my first because I was exploring a whole new world and that matched how Sylvari look at Tyria.
Charr second because I love cats.
Sylvari again because they really are cool.
Human because I think their background is interesting and admire their determination. Plus, most developed home instance I hear.
Norn for a joke character.

The Brotherhood of Norn has seen your post and deemed it wrong.

Viking’s are no joke

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

I played a bit of the final fantasy series and various other RPGs before looking into MMOs, so I’m used to portraying a human character. Maining a character away from human seems too strange for my tastes, but I like alting other races based on what I can make out of them. For example, one of my asurans is a small ele because he reminds me of a black mage from final fantasy, which I thought were pretty neat.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I made my main a human because she’s an adaption of the same character I use in everything and human was the best fit for her personality/looks. I also wanted her to be descended from my GW1 characters, who of course had to be human.

I also have one of each race though because I wanted to play them all. My favourites are the norn and sylvari because I like their personal story and personality. But I do like them all.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

Human Necro because he fits the type of character I wanted, pale, frail and downright wicked. Except Necros aren’t frail, they are awesome.

Human Thief because I liked the background story.

Norn Warrior because big (huge), likes to drink and fight, everything I envisioned a warrior to be.

Norn Ranger because female Norn are sexy and the whole Bear, Raven, Snow Leopard and Wolf deity thing kinda scream Ranger.

I want an Asura for nothing more than /dance

Posted by: Ramiah.5648

Ramiah.5648

There were only 2 races I liked when I started Guild Wars 2: Charr and Sylvari. Now, I like them all. I have NEVER played a human in a game where I didn’t have to be one. But, in Guild Wars, the other races are so different, that humans are very unique. You don’t have humans, then short humans, then pointy-ear humans, and short, stout humans with beards. Every race is very different from the others, except for Norn, who at least have a completely different personality and personal story.
Since there were 5 professions I like, it worked out. Well… almost. Still trying to figure out which race should go with the 5 professions I like, hehe.

Thy faithful servant asketh for thy blessing. Honor us with the splendor of thy song.
Protect us… Holy Song!

Posted by: Digital Dragon.2697

Digital Dragon.2697

Started off with Norn – love tattoos, and not being a stick female.
Asura – Wanted to try being small. Love their humor and intelligence.
Sylvari – Wanted to try another race.
Human – Female medium teir 3 armor.

Posted by: ButterOfDeath.2873

ButterOfDeath.2873

Asura: too cute

Any other class: not an Asura,didn’t play.