Why is everything 1 copper more in the AH?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: JeetyWeety.2948

JeetyWeety.2948

Q:

New player here. When I have a blue item appear in my bag and I right click the “sell at trading post” option, the trading post window comes up and it always shows that many people are selling that item at only 1 copper more than if i sold it at a merchant. I usually try to sell at the lowest seller’s price.

For example, I find a greatsword that I could sell to a merchant for 27 copper, but when I look to sell it on the trading post, it says that 200 people are selling it already at 28 copper.

It’s happening so often that I’m suspicious. Why would anyone want to sell for just 1 copper more than you can get from a merchant? Or does this really mean that there are no items of this type currently for sale, and instead of telling you that, the computer is selecting just 1 copper above a merchant as a starting price on the trading post?

(edited by JeetyWeety.2948)

Posted by: Pinder.5261

Pinder.5261

A:

1. The available supply of common items on the Trading Post far outweighs player demand for each item.
2. To compete for sales, players undercut each other’s prices.
3. The trading post prohibits postings at or below the vendor’s purchase price.
4. Players continue to undercut prices until that bottom limit, despite the additional tax.

Basic marketplace structure, what you’re seeing is entirely an issue of Supply and Demand. Items in massive supply (pretty much any item up to level 50) are reduced to the bottom line. Items in moderate supply (quantities of 5-15) commonly sell for the vendor price + TP tax loss. High-demand and low supply items still sell for substantially more than the vendor purchase price.

Posted by: zargnath.9524

zargnath.9524

That is just people being stupid. Since the TP actually remove 15% of price for taxes you will actually end up with less cash than if you had sold it to a vendor. Also the minimum listing price is 1c above vendor price.

Gnarl Blackfur – Charr ranger
Bob – Four legged shapeshifter
HeXagonis [HeX]

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Sometimes people list these items just to free up inventory space.

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Hello JeetyWeety.

There is no auction house in gw2, only a trading post.

Also the trading post requires you to list an item ABOVE vendor price.

That means 1c more than vendor price, is the minimum you can list for.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I assumed that it was the result of people freeing up bag space when they are no where near a vendor. The 1 copper they list it for about the vendor price means they lose less money than they would if they listed it higher. Then they can unlist it and vendor it or just try and sell it on the tp.

I’m not sure why people leave those items on the trading post though, surely not that many are of the same item are going on the tp rapidly.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Rannug.2731

Rannug.2731

was wondering that myself.. I too think it is a mix of ppl who don’t know better or forget that there is a % taken for selling at the TP and ppl who need to empty their bags while in battle somewhere and don’t want to destroy their items..

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

A better question is why are there so many request to buy items for 1c when the TP will not allow you to post it for less than it can be vendor’d for.

Posted by: Pinder.5261

Pinder.5261

A better question is why are there so many request to buy items for 1c when the TP will not allow you to post it for less than it can be vendor’d for.

Hopeful entrepreneurs who figure that someone might be gullible enough, or whose mouse may slip (this has happened to me before) and click the wrong sale, so that they may re-sell for a substantial profit. Probably not honest entrepreneurs either (ie, maybe bots), as I don’t expect an honest player to presume buying 237 pairs of lvl 13 pants will make a viable business strategy.

Much like the sale point, with high-demand-low-supply items, you’ll see far more rational offers on a single purchase, and far less “1 buyer wants 237 for 1 copper each”.

It’s also entirely possible that every player who makes a reasonable purchase offer gets sold to almost immediately, and you’re left looking at the 1 copper buyers.