Will expansion bring better stats on gear?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Tarinis.6054

Tarinis.6054

Sorry, I come from wow where each expansion had better gear. I’m hearing thats not the case though? So basically I can farm my end game weapons now and they will be good to go all throughout PoF?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

No PoF will not bring better gear, so yes you can farm it now and it will be fine for PoF.

This is one of the fundamental design decisions behind GW2, there is no ‘gear treadmill’, instead the best stats are relatively easy to obtain and new tiers come out very rarely/never (and the level cap doesn’t change). Anything harder to obtain is intended to be optional.

For example you can craft ascended weapons relatively easily or get them as drops from certain places, or you can make legendary weapons which are much more expensive and take much longer but have the exact same stats, just with fancier skins.

So far the only new tier to be introduced was Ascended, and that was about 2 months after launch. And now they’ve got the mastery system to provide a sense of on-going progression without actually making characters more powerful.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

GW2 doesn’t raise the level cap or gear tiers….. the whole existence of +5% on Ascended gear is tale that is almost nonsensical as it is short.

So other then new stat sets, no new gear to chase.

Posted by: EriskRedLemur.7153

EriskRedLemur.7153

PoF will bring new gear sets; that doesn’t mean better per se; berzerker is still the best power based gear stat wise; that’s core game. But HoT did add Viper which is the zerker version for condi builds and serious condi DPS builds will want that. Will new PoF gear stats replace Zerker/Viper? Maybe maybe not, but that’s still not the same as WoW or other games with new lvls, gear etc. so you can safely get ascended/exotics.

Plus w/ ascended you can change you stat on armor/weapons.

King Slacker, GM LXS (NA) League of Xtraordinary Slackers
THREAD INFO

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

PoF will bring new gear sets; that doesn’t mean better per se; berzerker is still the best power based gear stat wise; that’s core game. But HoT did add Viper which is the zerker version for condi builds and serious condi DPS builds will want that. Will new PoF gear stats replace Zerker/Viper? Maybe maybe not, but that’s still not the same as WoW or other games with new lvls, gear etc. so you can safely get ascended/exotics.

Plus w/ ascended you can change you stat on armor/weapons.

This!

PoF will not bring a tier of gear that invalidates whatever you’ve gotten before it.
I will bring new stat sets, and some of them might fit your playstyle better than existing set, making you want to change, likeand Viper’s did.
Some might open up new build options, in being able to effectively combine things in new ways.
But no gear will suddenly be obsolete.

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

To clarify on Legendary gear – no it’s not just better visuals then ascended. It’s also ability to select any stat combination on the fly as long as you’re not in combat without any costs attached.

Ascended does have stat changing too, but that is completely different story – here you need to gather/craft materials and run with them (and the chosen piece of gear for stat change) to mystic forge. Sometimes costs of such operation can get right down brutal.

If PoF is worth any salt then yes, it will introduce new stat combinations on gear. And quite a few professions (and their elite specs) can take advantage of stat sets that would make close to 0 sense on most.

For example everyone here is talking berserker and viper’s stat sets, but good old necro for one doesn’t need berserker for anything. He can easily get near or even full 100% critical chance without any precision at all, making Valkyrie or Crusader far more viable sets (extra sustain with comparable damage output).

The new elite spec on necro (the scourge) will thrive on condition damage and healingpower. So again viper’s this time around may get to warm the bench and things like Shaman’s, Settler’s, Apothecary or even Seraph’s stat sets might be in.
All of them considered extremely niche so far.

But that’s the beaty of new elite specs – they can make forgotten stat sets on gear suddenly viable and useful for certain new builds and professions.

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

Posted by: dchsknight.3042

dchsknight.3042

There is a new stat combo. No one ever talks about it and I dont know why. IT is called Grieving. It is power condi main with precision ferocity secondary.

I am pretty sure it will be the new meta

Posted by: Daedraz.1650

Daedraz.1650

There is a new stat combo. No one ever talks about it and I dont know why. IT is called Grieving. It is power condi main with precision ferocity secondary.

I am pretty sure it will be the new meta

My guess is nobody talks about grieving gear because while it is inherently ‘interesting’ because it is a new stat type we haven’t seen before, it will most likely not replace viper or berserker in terms of meta. Or at least that’s what my raiding buddies and I think. Builds that are specced for power damage like tempests, power daredevil, dragon hunters, power berserkers etc simply don’t apply enough condition damage for grieving to be effective. You’ll get better mileage with straight up berserker gear. It is true that condi builds like engi, ranger, necro etc are hybrid builds where while most of their dmg is from condi, the raw power dmg also plays a role. In that aspect, grieving won’t be detrimental to condi builds. But since it does not have expertise stats, grieving gear will be nowhere near as good as viper. The amount of condi dmg you get by maxing expertise is far far greater than the amount of power damage you do (or a simple power and condi but no expertise hybrid), even on a condi build like engi that has some unusually high base dmg coefficients.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

When ascended was introduced for fractals there was quite a big outcry about/against it, because exotic had been the top tier for a long while and it somewhat violated the philosophy of no gear treadmill. As it stands, it’s only a small half-step above exotic in terms of stats – even a player in full ascended would have only a tiny edge over someone in full exotic, and that difference could easily be dwarfed by class or skill disparity.

I very, VERY much doubt we’ll ever see the introduction of a higher level than ascended.