Wool, Cotton and Linen Farming

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Oneira.7691

Oneira.7691

Fellow Players:

I know there are a bunch of youtube vids on this but I haven’t had much luck trying them. Any suggestions on the best places to farm these, especially linen?

Or is the best option to farm SW for crests, turn crests into keys and them farm chests and open the bags on lvl 50ish characters?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t know what other people do but I give containers with gear inside to a level 53 char to open up. That way all containers have that level gear and you can play all content and not just certain areas.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Oneira.7691

Oneira.7691

I don’t know what other people do but I give containers with gear inside to a level 53 char to open up. That way all containers have that level gear and you can play all content and not just certain areas.

You know I’ve tried this. I tried it just yesterday. I gave all the bags, rags and stuff that my lev 80 toon farmed in a lev 50 area to my lev 50 toon, and I got pretty much the same thing — a distribution of various levels of cloth -- silk (which a lev 50 toon is too low for), linen, cotton.

At least now there is a farm for leather in Lake Doric where you can farm all levels of leather except for the lowest. I wish there was a like farm for cloth somewhere. IT would make cloth farming a whole helluva lot easier

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s not so much the materials that come out of the bags (those don’t change much), it’s the materials you get from salvaging the gear that comes out of the bags opened by a ~L53 character. Instead of salvaging ~L80 gear (and getting ~L80 mats), you are salvaging ~L50 gear (and getting ~L50 mats).

Good luck.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Just to clarify:

BAGS have set drop tables that are NOT affected by the level of your character. Examples include “Heavy Moldy Bag”, “Light Miner’s Bag”, and “Medium Ritual Bag”. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Container

CHAMPION BAGS have a dynamic drop table that IS affected by the level of your character. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Champion_loot_bag

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You know I’ve tried this. I tried it just yesterday. I gave all the bags, rags and stuff that my lev 80 toon farmed in a lev 50 area to my lev 50 toon, and I got pretty much the same thing — a distribution of various levels of cloth -- silk (which a lev 50 toon is too low for), linen, cotton.

At least now there is a farm for leather in Lake Doric where you can farm all levels of leather except for the lowest. I wish there was a like farm for cloth somewhere. IT would make cloth farming a whole helluva lot easier

You can’t give higher level rags or gear to a lower level to salvage for lower level mats and you can’t give bags that have items from a certain level guaranteed to be there that are dropped by mobs. What you can give is bags/containers that are rewards.

So not containers dropped from regular mobs with a set loot table. The containers I give to my level 53 is containers as rewards for doing events, stories, from doing PvP and from dungeons.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

afaik the opening bags with low level char trick should only be done on “bags of gear” .

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

If you have a couple of million karma a direct way to get exactly the tier you want is to throw 4 cloth karma armour into the mystic forge (or in a easier way mystic conduit that can be made or bought directly from the tp). Use the wiki to find the karma merchant in the map level equivalent to the tier material you want. The product can then be broken down, you have a small chance to get back a soulbound item but just throw that back into the forge with 3 other karma items.

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

If you have a couple of million karma a direct way to get exactly the tier you want is to throw 4 cloth karma armour into the mystic forge (or in a easier way mystic conduit that can be made or bought directly from the tp). Use the wiki to find the karma merchant in the map level equivalent to the tier material you want. The product can then be broken down, you have a small chance to get back a soulbound item but just throw that back into the forge with 3 other karma items.

If you’ve got karma to burn, this is your best bet. Tried it with 100k karma (or maybe more) and got almost an entire stack of linen scraps.

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I think the karma armor forging method is too time consuming, due to the mystic forge interface, even more so without a mystic forge conduit.

It definitely works during downtime though if you can’t get a SW train going, though. So say, you are eating something and this is a low effort activity that can be done in the meantime.

Nowadays, beyond the “open bags on a mid-level character” method. I just wait annually for Wintersday since they have lots of karma sinks— including a vendor that sells the t3-t4 mats for karma. It’s not as good value and the clicking is also really tedious though but at least it’s once a year. Granted, this isn’t exactly helpful to tell people to wait a year to get things you need now, but I will say this method has gotten me pretty much all the mats I want for future ascended crafting so it’s a thing to keep an eye on.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Festive_Bag_of_Materials
This should be around 5 million karma.

Attachments:

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

It is indeed time consuming and the clicking makes one go crazy. Luckily I recently crafted myself the conduit, otherwise I would not advise doing the karma armor forging method.

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

The time-consuming nature is definitely part of the reason that makes it such a money-saver though. If it was fast and easy everyone would do it and the prices would plummet.

It’s the same reason why you can usually make more by selling planks than you can selling logs. People don’t want to take the time to craft the planks themselves because it is more time consuming than just buying the planks outright.

Server: Devona’s Rest