World Map Completion Help

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The explorer titles have nothing at all to do with world completion. Forget about them for now they’re a separate issue.

The one point most people miss, is the one in Bloodtide Den in the Order of Whispers Secret base, in the cave on Stormbluff Island. You have to enter the instance and get that point.

Beyond that, you can go to the map and point to each and every zone name it it will show you what percentage is completed, without actually traveling to it.

Do you have all your WvW stuff?

Posted by: xihorus.2804

xihorus.2804

Another thing to keep in mind is that Living Story events have added new areas. Cragstead in Wayfarer Foothills northeast corner, for instance. Vayne posted a commonly missed location for Orr – I would check there first for your last area. As far as Maguuma, another commonly missed location (and one that I was missing for my map explorer achievement) was the Proxemics Lab in Brisban Wildlands. If these don’t work, I would recommend comparing the pictures of the maps on the wiki against the map you see in game.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Oh and the Dead End Bar POI in Divinity’s Reach.

Posted by: Eggman.1405

Eggman.1405

What is the advice for completing exploration on the WvW maps? It seems like unless you happen to show up when your side is rocking’ it and has the whole map conquered, you’re kinda hosed for finishing these areas.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

What is the advice for completing exploration on the WvW maps? It seems like unless you happen to show up when your side is rocking’ it and has the whole map conquered, you’re kinda hosed for finishing these areas.

With my Ranger I would locate a Commander and join the zerg. If I got killed, I would try again, either then or another day. On my Mesmer I would check out the map and run over and grab places I needed that we hold. I would try for 2 or 3 new sites. Either way works. Expect to get killed and just try for a couple of sites a day.

Posted by: Arzo.8671

Arzo.8671

On my server, we pretty much own one map each week. Since that one can change, it’s just a matter of time until I have 3 of the 4 needed.

I’m not sure on EB, though. Still working on that part. So far, it’s just been a matter of knowing when my server is most active and run with the zerg when they are on EB.

Eggman.1405

On my server, we pretty much own one map each week. Since that one can change, it’s just a matter of time until I have 3 of the 4 needed.

Is there a way to control which half of the map you spawn on when you enter a WvW match? Seems like that would help a lot.

Astral Projections.7320

Is there a way to control which half of the map you spawn on when you enter a WvW match? Seems like that would help a lot.

It’s never random. Each map has one waypoint set aside for each server. When you chose that map you go to that waypoint. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_vs._World_panel

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

To add:

Keep in mind that the Order of Whispers POI does not show up on the map at all until you’ve been there. So, if you mouse over the map it will show that you have all POIs, even though you may not have that one.

For WvW, the main thing is to not wait until the last minute to go get those POIs, vistas and skill points. If you wait until the very last, and it’s all you have left, you will get very frustrated, as you’re not ever going to be able to just run around in one day and get them. Go to the WvW maps as soon as possible and get everything you can. Check back every few days and especially after Friday reset. Run with the zerg to get POIs. Don’t expect anyone to wait for you if you have to stop for a vista or skill point. Instead, get the vista/SP and then waypoint back to the starting area or just try to catch up. At least if you get caught in the open and die, you won’t have to pay repair fees! And don’t cry if you die. It happens to everyone and is part of being in a PvP area. You could even learn a few things along the way!

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Eggman.1405

For WvW, the main thing is to not wait until the last minute to go get those POIs, vistas and skill points. If you wait until the very last, and it’s all you have left, you will get very frustrated, as you’re not ever going to be able to just run around in one day and get them.

Probably good advice, but that ship has already sailed for me as I didn’t discover I would be forced to visit WvW until I already completed the PvE world.

I just can’t understand the mindset of trying to force players that like PvP to do PvE and vice-versa. For every person who may come away with a `that wasn’t as horrible as I thought` experience, far more are just going to be frustrated and annoyed.

ozmaniandevil.6805

For WvW, the main thing is to not wait until the last minute to go get those POIs, vistas and skill points. If you wait until the very last, and it’s all you have left, you will get very frustrated, as you’re not ever going to be able to just run around in one day and get them.

Probably good advice, but that ship has already sailed for me as I didn’t discover I would be forced to visit WvW until I already completed the PvE world.

I just can’t understand the mindset of trying to force players that like PvP to do PvE and vice-versa. For every person who may come away with a `that wasn’t as horrible as I thought` experience, far more are just going to be frustrated and annoyed.

What I remember of a developer post at some point was that the whole purpose of including WvW for world completion is that they want you to try WvW and hope you will like it and keep going back.

That being said, ANet more and more is forcing everyone to play “their way” instead of how they like. Hopefully this trend discontinues at some point.

However, their plan for WvW worked on me, because once I tried it, I loved it.

Posted by: hotcatz.6834

hotcatz.6834

I started my 1st wvw map completion (as a ranger no less) by going out into the maps solo early in the mornings, and just getting the points we (my server) owned, it was scary as hell but enjoyable at the same time, sneaking about and running at the first sign of enemy players then I got a bit braver and started sneaking into enemy camps (just grabbing POIs and running) then I just joined the Zerg to get enemy towers and keeps, about the time I finished my WvW mapping I got an invite to a WvW guild (even though I was a ranger) since then I’ve discovered I love WvW (I main an Ele and a Necro).

Eight (and a 1/2) 100% map completions later I still map WvW on my characters in the same way, as solo as possible, just for the kicks. It’s a lot less scary for me now and I’m lucky that my server is active and changes colour on a regular basis but even so I start mapping WvW from an early stage with a new character, (my last Ele was only level 20 when she had all four maps 100%) that way I’m not waiting on ‘that last point’ that I have no control over for map completion.

Embrace the fear and get out there, you might even discover a whole new game mode that you enjoy

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

While I get your meaning, you do understand how one sided your statement is, right? PvP / WvW players are forced to endure FAR more PvE zones to obtain the same results. The hardest part in mapping the WvW maps is being patient on the matchup rotation and remembering to go into maps regularly to check for easy availability to needed locations.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

ozmaniandevil.6805

While I get your meaning, you do understand how one sided your statement is, right? PvP / WvW players are forced to endure FAR more PvE zones to obtain the same results. The hardest part in mapping the WvW maps is being patient on the matchup rotation and remembering to go into maps regularly to check for easy availability to needed locations.

To be fair, he did say “trying to force players that like PvP to PvE and vice versa”.

Astral Projections.7320

There is a difference though in why people don’t like it. While PvPers may find PvE boring, PvEers may find that being attacked by actual people is upsetting. It may be illogical, but it’s based on emotions which are hard to control. The difference means that these PvEers in WvW have a harder, more stressful experiences than WvW people in PvE.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I get that. I’m definitely a PvEer and find venturing into WvW quite stressful (tho lately it’s in a good way). On the other hand PvE players have 4 “stressful” maps to clear while PvP/WvW players have over 30 “boring” ones to clear (that each have MANY more required visit locations).

While the term “forced” is used here, nobody needs the Title or a Legendary Weapon for any reason, so nobody is being “forced” to do anything…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

Personally I find it ridiculous we have to do all 3 Borderlands when they are all the exact same map.

It’s always easiest for me to just wait for the color rotation. Check each one and see what your server has and get what you can, but unless you’re dominating the map I usually just save the Northern areas until my server is the color I need.

Eggman.1405

While the term “forced” is used here, nobody needs the Title or a Legendary Weapon for any reason, so nobody is being “forced” to do anything…..

This reminds me of a quote from a villain-
`You’re right that I can’t make you help me, but I can kill you. If you consider that a choice, by all means, think it over` (please take that with all the full humor of the intent).

ANet doesn’t have to force a player to do anything, human psychology will do it for them .

I don’t know if this situation is worse for the PvP or PvE crowd. Going through Tyria is going to be a huge grind for the PvPers, but it’s a knowable amount of work that you can undertake any time you like and just push it out, and there are plenty of rewards along the way. Exploring the WvW area is essentially subject to RNG and you basically get nothing along the way (I assume- are there map complete bonuses for any of the sub-maps?)