Worth it to come back after years?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Arromir.6751

Arromir.6751

Greetings everyone,

I have been away from the game since the initial release days and have been thinking about giving it another shot. However, I’m not sure exactly how the game has changed in the last few years. From what I understand there are parts of the story that are no longer available at all? And is this game also no longer B2P as it was at the beginning (Unless I’m mis-remembering)?

Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated. If it is worth it to come back, and if so, which classes would be good options for mostly solo PVE? My playtime comes in limited chunks, so I’m not able to pursue group content regularly unfortunately.

Thank you!

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Living World Season 1 is no longer available to play – they were events that you had to be present for. Living World Season 2 & 3 episodes are replayable. Season 3 Episode 6 is live right now and simply logging in will unlock it for free on your account – missed episodes will have to be purchased. Heart of Thorns (HoT) will have to be purchased if you want it. Path of Fire (PoF, expansion 2) comes out on September 22. Core Tyria – the core GW2 is now Free 2 play – you don’t have to buy HoT or PoF to play it.

Core Tyria, pretty much any class can solo the maps. If you want to try and solo a lot of the HoT content…Condi or Power Necro, especially with the Reaper specialization available with HoT.

The HoT maps are built around events that lead up to a map-wide meta event that requires groups to work together to complete. You don’t have to have a group or be part of a guild to do that, just hop in when you can and do the events that lead up to the big meta event at the end. Generally they’re populated enough to not have to hunt for a busy map.

HoT and Season 3 mobs hit MUCH harder than core Tyria. CCs (crowd control – ie knockbacks, stuns, etc.) are much more important – bosses have a breakbar that you really need to break to stun them so you can DPS them down.

My advice? Come back to GW2, create a necro and start killing stuff. And when you run into something that you need help with, ask for it – that’s what map chat is for!

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The game has changed enormously since launch, but in awesome ways. Just start playing and you’ll find lots of QoL improvements. For example there is now a wardrobe system so you can look however you want, many builds are exponentially more viable or optimal (condis were MAJORLY improved) and so on. You don’t need to know anything to start playing, it’s just better sort of behind the scenes.

Posted by: Walker.7204

Walker.7204

There’s lots of these returning player topics on the board, and rather than start another one, I just thought I’d hop on this one.

I’m also back after a long layoff (stopped playing shortly after HoT), and I’m just curious about the best way to start up the game again.

I have all the jobs at 80, but I’ve completely forgotten how to play them. What would you recommend doing to get the feel and relearn the game again?

Should I just pick one class and focus on that, or just bounce around a bit?

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

There’s lots of these returning player topics on the board, and rather than start another one, I just thought I’d hop on this one.

I’m also back after a long layoff (stopped playing shortly after HoT), and I’m just curious about the best way to start up the game again.

I have all the jobs at 80, but I’ve completely forgotten how to play them. What would you recommend doing to get the feel and relearn the game again?

Which one did you like the best? Or which one was your first one? Check your gear and build and go play. I’d suggest running around a couple of the core Tyria maps to get back in the groove and go from their. Not 100% map complete on one of them? Pick that one and do map completion. Then rotate back through all of them and see what you like and want to run. Good luck and have fun. NOW GET OUT THERE AND KILL SOMETHING!

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

If none of your characters have it yet….. have the one you plan on playing first do some map completion in Tyria to get a handle on it again. If you want a more focused goal, go after the various Hero points on tyrian maps so you can use them later to fill out Elite specs faster. Map complete is low impact, so it gives you time to get used to the game play again. Because once you start diving into Expac content, the difficulty level spikes sharply…. I mean straight up night and day difference.

If you’re going for PoF Especs, you’ll have to wait to find out what the requirements are to progress them. For HoT Especs, you can max them out pretty quickly by joining hero point trains starting Verdant Brink. You’ll need Gliding 2 and Itzel 1 Mastery at minimum to do this, since those are the main mobility abilities you need to travel around.

Posted by: Arromir.6751

Arromir.6751

Would the new expansion be worthwhile to pick up? And are the deals offered during checkout a one time offer? I couldn’t really find them listed anywhere else.