Yay! Just got GW2 today ^_^!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: RHK.5172

RHK.5172

A friend got my this game as a preszie, was depressed about World of Warcraft and dying on the wait for their new expansion… I hope Guild Wars is gonna be a better experience than WoW for me! OH yeah, sorry I wanted to get some advise from experienced players -_- youtube is great but I really like the old style forum posting better.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Welcome, hope you enjoy GW2 as much as I have

When you say, “got” GW2, you mean the payed expansion Heart of Thorns? Because base game is free.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Some sites to keep in mind when you need help:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://dulfy.net/
There is lots of info and stuff on both.
The Wiki is added to and fixed by players so if you find something wrong you can fix it.
Dulfy is a gamer who plays who keeps upto date on various events and collections and stuff and if you really need help she usually has a video and/or written out what you need for it.

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

Welcome to the game, was there any particular advise you were seeking though?

The two websites listed by PyrateSilly are awesome resources. One further bit of information pertaining to those resources however is that Anet has made the game very user friendly by enabling players to access the GW2 wiki directly from inside the game. For example you can just type…

/wiki [enter topic here]

…into the game chat bar and it will bring up the wiki page for that topic. Something I wish I had known about sooner in my GW2 gaming experience.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

A friend got my this game as a preszie, was depressed about World of Warcraft and dying on the wait for their new expansion… I hope Guild Wars is gonna be a better experience than WoW for me! OH yeah, sorry I wanted to get some advise from experienced players -_- youtube is great but I really like the old style forum posting better.

It really is a better experience, while it doesnt have traditional quests like wow it has many storyline quests for your class and the living story and some other stuff later, then you have jumping puzzles/exploration and hunt for hero points not to mention the many other things you can do, I find exploration really fun in this compared to any other mmorpg ive ever played.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Welcome! If you need help with anything ask in map chat where-ever you are type “/m” to pull up map chat. Most of the time there will be at least one friendly person ready to help you. If you can’t find someone to help you in the open world, head to one of the main cities (there’s one 50 feet from where ever you start the game) and ask for help there.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Welcome!

First of all, if you are coming from WoW, please leave the trinity at the door. This game DOES NOT have a traditional trinity system (i.e. Tank, Healer, DPS). ALL classes can perform all of those tasks simultaneously (or build specifically for one thing) and some are better at others for certain types of things. (i.e. a Guardian CAN be a healer/tank, but also makes for a great DPS.) The trinity here is Support, Control, Damage.

Also, take your time to have fun and explore. You get EXP for just about everything, and leveling up is super fast and easy. Don’t be in a super rush to get to lvl 80 and miss out on how to play your character, and the awesome and amazing things that Tryia has to offer.

There is no “best class”. All the classes perform (nearly) equally well, and some do perform a little better in some areas than others. For example, I could build a necro that capable of being a decent support or a ranger that is good at damage. But overall the classes are (fairly) balanced, and the only REAL difference is mechanics and builds.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

If you bought HoT you’ll have gotten the ‘instant 80’ item in the shared character slot. I’d advise not to use it on your first character. There’s a lot to experience in the core world.

Since you’re from WoW, don’t focus too much on Hearts. If there’s an event in the area, go there. Completing it generally counts against the heart as well, and open world endgame is completely event driven.

Do what you want. Just about anything will give XP. There’s a lot of hidden gems for you to discover in the nooks and crannies of each map.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help in game. Due to design decisions that incentivise cooperation (ressing others gives you XP, no competition for kills or nodes) you’re more likely to get it. Feel free to jump into fights, as long as someone does a base amount of damage on a mob they’ll get credit. The only killstealing you’ll ever see is high level players in lowbie zones for a daily. They generally will wait for any lowbies to tag before nuking mobs though.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: lilypop.7819

lilypop.7819

Would strongly recommend you try the Azure Race first, as it has the best starter zone – also quite funny and generally busy.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Would strongly recommend you try the Azure Race first, as it has the best starter zone – also quite funny and generally busy.

*Asura. Looks like autocorrect got you.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA