dual wielding 2 swords

dual wielding 2 swords

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: omnimister.4219

omnimister.4219

I was just wondering if there was a class that was actually good at dual wielding with 2 swords. I like the look of using 2 swords and was wondering if there was a class that actually excels/is best used with 2 swords.

The Knight Of Zero

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Currently only Warriors and Mesmers can dual wield swords.

I really like the sword on the main hand, but I don’t really use it (playing mainly open world PvE) in the off hand. On a warrior I prefer the axe in the off hand for example.
Never tried it with mesmer.

I am sure it is viable in general but you got to like it, I’ve so far not seen a sword/sword combo as recommended in guides.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

dual wielding 2 swords

omnimister.4219

well… guild wars 2 ppl need to fix this then and create a class designed for dual wielding…

The Knight Of Zero

dual wielding 2 swords

Rouven.7409

Well, they mentioned to make all weapons available to all classes so your wish might come true one day.

dual wielding 2 swords

omnimister.4219

nah I just started a dual wielding class suggestion thread. seemed easier

The Knight Of Zero

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

If you mean daggers since they kinda look the same, you can try thief or ele. The deal with d/d ele their attacks are all spells so there’s no stabbing involved at all..so maybe that wouldn’t count.

I play a warrior and I can tell you I’ve never tried sword/sword since it simply isnt viable, at least in PvE. Though I do wish we could have better skills for dual-wielding swords, it would be awesome. Sword mainhand is great for mobility, situationally useful in both PvE/WvW. Sword offhand is actually not bad but I can’t say the same for axe offhand. Just terrible and no reason you would get this unless your cleaving multiple mobs all around you (say for the robot part in CoE P1).

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I think the OP has been watching Sword Art Online, an anime series set in a fantasy MMO. Already seen one character clone based on the duel wielding protagonist. However on another hand I see the female lead is in armor similar to what we have here in spades, skirts with second butt covering half skirt.

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

dual wielding 2 swords

omnimister.4219

yeah. I did like SAO no lie. but the dream of dual wielding was ablaze long before SAO

The Knight Of Zero

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Tayte.2396

Tayte.2396

Mesmers use sword/sword decently enough. Sword skill 1 and 2 are great (1 provides vulnerability and rips off boons on the third attack, and 2 is an evasion and strong damage.) Sword ability 3 is great for catching runners!

In the offhand ability 4 is a block with decent damage when it does block an attack, and 5 is a nice phantasm.

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Mes is good for dual wielding and i uses it but honestly the longsword in this game are really longswords. So they look somewhat unbalanced when dual wielded.

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

My second mesmer is sword/sword with greatsword as an alternate when I must be ranged. Two Bonetti’s Rapiers, whee! I have a lot of fun with it, leveled her all 80 levels with that setup. Lots of tricksy things you can do.

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Fear the mesmer who runs up to you with two swords in hand unless they suck. Warriors? Not so much.

That is all I can say here.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Cyricus.2981

Cyricus.2981

Dual swords on a warrior isn’t that bad for general world pve and condition pvp builds. It isn’t so great in large group/zergs or dungeons however where you run into condition stack caps.

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Kuduka.3860

Kuduka.3860

Well, they mentioned to make all weapons available to all classes so your wish might come true one day.

Imagine a greatsword ele

I am all forms of Kuduka.
Kuduka- Elementalist | Kudukâ- Mesmer |
Kuduka Dark- Necromancer

dual wielding 2 swords

Rouven.7409

Imagine a greatsword ele

How about an Ele standing behind a guild tower shield throwing fireballs over top? grin

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Well Phantasm Mesmer with Sword/Pistol and Sword/Sword is on of the best DPS build in the moment its perfect for you. The warrior can do that too, but its not the best build in PvE. My friend still use Dual Sword on his warrior Atl just to have play dual sword some time.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

@ OP

I recently swapped to Sword/Sword | Scepter/Pistol for WvW on my mesmer, it’s surprisingly powerful against players. Sword 3 immobs runners, Sword 2 is damage + invuln, Sword 4 blocks one attack (including ranged ones). Scepter 2 does the same shielding thing , Scepter 3 Confuses targets (so you can make them hit themselves while you hit them using blocks), Pistol 5, Sword 4-4 and F3 interrupt.

Running this on an interrupt-traited build with secondary traits on Manipulations, so you can dump necros’ condis back on them, steal warriors’ might while returning Weakness back to them, catch runners with Blink and gain 4 seconds invulnerability against melee (blocks) + projectile reflection using Mimic. Mimic’s insane number of block triggers, together with the blocks from Scepter 2 and Sword 4 also benefits from the Retal-on-block trait, giving nearly permanent Retaliation uptime.

Sword 4, Sword 2, F4 and Scepter 2 are your go-to skills when a permastealth thief is about to backstab you, it nullifies their most important source of damage; Scepter 2 and Sword 4 have the additional advantage of instantly counterattacking, and generating a clone for you to F3 them with.

Mesmer dual wielded swords is a very viable build, if a little hard to use.

… not as good as the Staff | Sword/Focus for soloing camps though, because it lacks AoE capabilities.

Domination 20 II V
Duelling 20 I III
Chaos 30 III VIII XII

Full Celestial/Soldier depending on your preference
6x Runes of the Traveler because mesmers don’t have +25% skills, and because Runes of Perplexity are not only broken, they’re also getting fixed soon.

Effective range = 900 units with both sets, though closing in will increase the damage of the Swords set, as you can still attack from range with Swords 3, 4 and 5.

… if you want to use it.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

Two things:

1) Historically speaking from a real-world perspective, dual-wielding isn’t as effective as it seems in most situations. There’s a reason why, other than in Renaissance-era duels and some other limited instances, neither soldiers nor civilians would use two weapons at the same time. For a further discussion, see this video. (The guy in the video has a channel where, among other things, he debunks myths about ancient and medieval warfare—especially when it comes to how modern fantasy has thoroughly mangled it.)

Warriors make sense for dual-wielding because they’re weapon masters and use the offhand sword for purposes other than melee attacks. Yes, fighters in the medieval and Renaissance periods did throw swords from short distances (under 15 feet I think), and having taken six years of fencing, I can attest to the parry-riposte combination as being quite effective. Mesmers, as part of their class’s flavor, are meant to be magical duelists, so dual-wielding swords, especially where the swords are used as magic foci rather than outright melee weapons, is also appropriate. But generally, people didn’t carry two swords in open warfare, because even if you learn how to use two at a time, I can tell you from experience that it takes too much practice and concentration to be useful. Yes, it’s a fantasy game, but that doesn’t mean everyone should be able to use swords, let alone two of them.

2) The developers have NOT said that every class will get access to every weapon. All they’ve said is that they plan to introduce existing weapons to classes that can’t currently use them. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for warriors to use scepters, or for elementalists to dual-wield a mace and a shield. Greataxes have been confirmed as a weapon they’re planning on adding eventually, but beyond that I don’t know of any new weapons they intend to develop.

Please note that “it would be cool” is NEVER a sufficient reason, without more, to create something new in this game. For example, would it really make sense for thieves, which are meant to carry lighter weapons and move quickly, to carry (let alone conceal) a giant two-handed sword or hammer? Would it really make sense for the warrior, which is a purely physical class and shuns magic, to use a scepter and focus? Please think about the practicality and/or ridiculousness of suggestions before suggesting them. “Eles should use greatswords” is not, on its own, enough of a reason to make that idea a reality.

EDIT: I should add that warriors ARE the class for dual-wielding. They can use axes, swords, and maces in either hand, and can also carry warhorns or shields in the offhand. That alone gives you TONS of room for customization.

(edited by Equinox.4968)

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: TheFiendishFiend.4057

TheFiendishFiend.4057

It’s a good weapon set on Mesmer. Very block/dodge based combat style.

~Lion~
Bearer of Tyrion’s Personal Banner, and[BOMB] GvG Officer

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Yeah, mesmer with s/s is really good in a phanton build.
The oh sword block is very useful and the iDuelist hits hard and is more mobile than the iWarden from the focus.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you’re willing to go sword/dagger you could also consider a thief or ranger. Both of which IMO function more like dual wielding classes in other games where it always seems to be paired with combat styles that make movement and dodging a big part of your technique.

GW2 encourages everyone to keep moving of course, but those two professions (especially with s/d combinations) also have skills that involve moving around your enemy and/or away/towards them quickly.

Although when I first started I was planning to use S/D on my ranger because I thought it’d be most similar to the combat style I used for the same character in Neverwinter Nights 2 (which I’d been replaying) and Dragon Age. Then I ended up switching to sword/torch instead because I found the skills more useful.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

dual wielding 2 swords

Donari.5237

Equinox: I agree that it’s not realistic to dual wield other than for extraordinary individuals. I fenced many years myself and happen to be extremely right-handed. The main gauche used in the rapier era was a blocking device that happened to be pointy enough to occasionally thrust with, but was far more a shield than a precise offensive weapon.

Still, there is something to be said for “it’s a fantasy game and dual wielding is cool.” Our characters are supposed to be extraordinary. Heck, I RP my Thief as ambidextrous (naturally right handed but he trained hard for years to be nimble with both hands) because such a skill fascinates right-handed me.

I prefer realistic weapons and armor. I’m ok with stretching what counts as “realistic,” though, especially when it comes to my fantasy character’s abilities (within the limits of my not liking monty haul godlike power). Should every character in the game do it? Likely not. But some should. Because it’s cool.

dual wielding 2 swords

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

Equinox: I agree that it’s not realistic to dual wield other than for extraordinary individuals. I fenced many years myself and happen to be extremely right-handed. The main gauche used in the rapier era was a blocking device that happened to be pointy enough to occasionally thrust with, but was far more a shield than a precise offensive weapon.

Still, there is something to be said for “it’s a fantasy game and dual wielding is cool.” Our characters are supposed to be extraordinary. Heck, I RP my Thief as ambidextrous (naturally right handed but he trained hard for years to be nimble with both hands) because such a skill fascinates right-handed me.

I prefer realistic weapons and armor. I’m ok with stretching what counts as “realistic,” though, especially when it comes to my fantasy character’s abilities (within the limits of my not liking monty haul godlike power). Should every character in the game do it? Likely not. But some should. Because it’s cool.

That’s fine, and I don’t have a problem with how it’s treated in the game, just saying that “because it’s cool” alone isn’t a good enough reason for things like dual swords on elementalists or scepters on warriors.

dual wielding 2 swords

Donari.5237

Ah, sorry, I didn’t realize you were talking about profession restrictions on it. I responded more generally to how I perceived your argument that dual wielding makes no sense at all (except for warriors).

I do agree that “coolness” should not be the -sole- criterion for assigning profession abilities.