dye combinations

dye combinations

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: mglgagrg.2561

mglgagrg.2561

hi guys. Just wondered what dye combinations you use for your armour, i’m undecided on what colours to use for my Ascalionian catacombs armour set

dye combinations

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

Abyss. Nothing more, nothing less.

dye combinations

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

It seems like 99% of the population uses black (or some variation thereof), white (or some variation thereof), or pink with as many mismatching colors as they can possible cram onto their pallet (they wind up looking like they poured a bunch of paint into a cannon and stood in front of it as it was fired).

dye combinations

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I tend to either pick colours I like (hence my main always wearing blue and purple) or colours I think suit the character.

Usually I pick a colour scheme for the character and then it carries across all their armor sets.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

dye combinations

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Pink is the way to go if you want to be manly

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

dye combinations

mglgagrg.2561

thanks for the input guys i didnt know abyss dye cost 20 gold though O.o

dye combinations

Posted by: Rei.2610

Rei.2610

Ye, Abyss is overrated and everyone has it.
Plus it looks terrible on low settings without highlights.

I tend to use the other grays or really bright reds.

I gave up on ever crafting a Legendary. Best decision ever.

dye combinations

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Abyss. Nothing more, nothing less.

Abyss is too dark. It is like if you turn all values down on a Red/Green/Blue scale to 0. It obscures the nice details on your armour.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

dye combinations

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Celestial with Icing on my snow female Charr. I think it looks nice.
Silver and Oxblood with my Human.
Got more on my other chars.

I usually pick a color combo right off the start for when creating a character. Helps me give them personality. (I’m wierd, lemme alone!)

Duty is heavier than death.

dye combinations

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I like black. It’s quite common for me to wear all black in real life and I think it can look good.

But IMO it works best with fairly plain clothes. In GW2 it often either obscures the details or the different materials look odd together because they each go slightly different shades.

Its also a bit uncreative when you’ve got the option of freely re-dying your armor to hundreds of different colours (once you’ve got them unlocked of course, but dye drops are fairly common).

I have to admit most of the time when I see someone in entirely abyss dyed armor I just assume they didn’t know how to make it look good and couldn’t be bothered trying. Which probably isn’t the impression they’re aiming for.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

dye combinations

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

My warrior uses Grey and Taupe and other dull greys and browns such as Mushroom and Oil Slick. She’s a street rat, she doesn’t go for the fancy. My guardian uses banana/illumination for gold edging on her armor, and varies the main color field to various pale jewel tone blues and greens as the mood takes me. My necromancer has dusky skin and sets it off with vivid oranges, golds, and browns. My thief leans to mossy greens with abyss accents but will do white, gold, red, blue, rich browns, whatever suits the occasion. So far my engineer is browns and faded blues, but he’s new and hasn’t got a huge palette yet. My charr elementalist likes greens on her white fur. And my asura mesmer goes for reds and purples.

My warrior’s the only one that doesn’t redye. For the rest I get tired of the look and get them a “new” outfit by applying new colors.

dye combinations

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Ever changing.
If I am going to unlock every dye on every character then I might as well try to make use of all of it.

dye combinations

Posted by: Aeleniel.4973

Aeleniel.4973

I change all the time… When I unlock a new dye that I like, I see what I have that will go with it. Although, I haven’t been able to bring myself to make a pink character (except as a joke!)

Right now I’ve got a brown and teal setup on my Ranger that actually looks much better than it sounds.

Tarnished Coast | Ranger | Mesmer | Guardian
Dynamics of Synergetics – DOS

dye combinations

Posted by: Tintaglia.4762

Tintaglia.4762

I’ve learned a lot from http://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWarsDyeJob.

dye combinations

Posted by: DancinPuppeh.8421

DancinPuppeh.8421

I use Abyss with Gold, or Abyss with Humiliation (Pink)

dye combinations

Posted by: Cenile.8340

Cenile.8340

I have walnut/marine with midnight rust/bronze details on my draconic set for my engi. Looks like crocodile skin and makes me feel tuff.

dye combinations

Posted by: Gestankfaust.4216

Gestankfaust.4216

On leathers I use iron, earthen, cinnamon, dark chocolate, combos of dark reds, browns, and dark blues usually.

On my guardian, the main armor is midnight blue. Looks awesome with a red fringe on any tassels or other pieces.

Midnight blue on heavy armor:

Attachments:

(edited by Gestankfaust.4216)

dye combinations

Posted by: Brullyra.1592

Brullyra.1592

My human guardian is Tea Shade all over, with Robin used for trim

Attachments:

dye combinations

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Here are 2 suggestions

Left image: crafted (medium)
Dye: Sapphire / Walnut with Lemon trim, Silver leggings

Right image: AC (medium)
Dye: Burgundy / Antique Bronze, Silver / Sand leggings

Attachments:

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

dye combinations

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I use abyss with redemption and it looks amazing:-) But not an all armors.

Attachments:

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

dye combinations

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

On my guardian I like mainly silver with antique gold and ebony (both starters) for the details, I think it looks quite nicely (I’ll add screenshots later, I’m at work right now).

On my mesmer, leveling up I used combinations of blue (stream, IIRC)-red-yellow (antique gold), mainly because I wanted those colors since I’m from Venezuela and those are the colors of the flag, and it’s a color combination that is known to work and I liked how it looked (attachment included, disregard hood, it was a bug when I was transmuting it to the harlequin mask, showed both at the same time).

Right now on it I’m using the heritage light armor, that looks like a formal 3 pieces suit. Blurple as the main color on the coat with lylac details, very light purple (I think it’s purple ice, I’ll check when I’m back home) for the shirt and a darker purple (midnight purple or something like that, again, I’ll check when at home) for the pants. I really like how it turned out, I’ll post screenshots at home.

One reason why so many people go abyss or celestial, BTW, is because black and white are achromatic colors, meaning colors with little or no saturation (actually, some designers don’t consider them colors at all), which means they will combine well with almost any color. If you want to have other options that would look well, I’d suggest to look on color theory to see the theories on how to combine colors.

This website does a good job showing up different ways:

http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/color-theory/color-theory-intro.htm

Just pick a main color you like, then look for what colors go well with it (complementary, analogous, etc) and start experimenting. And actually, if you analyze it, most people with great color combinations on their armor ended up using one of the ways described on that link, even if they didn’t know about it.

Attachments:

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

dye combinations

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Ye, Abyss is overrated and everyone has it.
Plus it looks terrible on low settings without highlights.

I tend to use the other grays or really bright reds.

It looks on all settings horribe esp. on monocolored armors.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

dye combinations

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

Just about anything looks awesome on Sylvari armor. I have TA armor on my asura elementalist, and one of my favorite combos is a nice red with gold for the fringes. The way it blends makes it look a bit like fire.

I think the actual colors I use are Autumn and Redemption.

dye combinations

mglgagrg.2561

Here are 2 suggestions

That looks quite good actually

dye combinations

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

It depends on the material honestly. Are you talking cloth, leather, or heavy metal armor? Cuz tarnished silver (for example) looks great on metal armor, but garbage on leather. Likewise, fog dye is a nice whitish on leather, but is lackluster on metal.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

dye combinations

bri.2359

Here are 2 suggestions

That looks quite good actually

Thanks! See, you don’t need Abyss to look good …
All it takes is some understanding of colour and how the various dyes works with the various materials.

In fact, I have Abyss on this toon (it dropped for me around 2-weeks after game launch, and activated it not knowing what it was …), and never use it cos it looks crap on leather, and everyone uses it …

Same goes for Celeste/White ..

Gandara Megaserver

dye combinations

bri.2359

Here is another suggestion (heavy armour) on my norn guardian.

Left image: crafted with Invaders/karma leggings from Derdgehaunt (both use same skin)
Dye: Black / Burnished Steel / Heirloom

Right image: karma temple armour
Dye: Black / Burnished Steel / Heirloom / Patina

Attachments:

Gandara Megaserver

dye combinations

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Just posting again to post my mesmer’s current dye job..

Armor is the light heritage set from HoM and harlequin mask (starter mesmer gear). Dyes are Blurple (main coat color), Midnight violet (pants, boots), Shy lylac (coat and boot hightlights), violet ice (shirt) and matte and red for the mask.

Attachments:

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

dye combinations

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

I have a max size male norn guardian with black skin and black hair. Armor is a mix of CoF (head, hands) and Cursed Shore Karma Exotic (everything else). Colors are Emerald (#1), Black (#2) and Evening Red (#3).

The contrast between the dark green and dark red metal and the flames from the CoF gear looks pretty fly. Additionally, sometimes I remove the helmet, and then the dark green and red metal also contrast well with the character’s skin tone. I haven’t seen anyone else use this scheme – it’s understated but original and I like it a lot.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

dye combinations

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Armor is the light heritage set from HoM and harlequin mask (starter mesmer gear). Dyes are Blurple (main coat color), Midnight violet (pants, boots), Shy lylac (coat and boot hightlights), violet ice (shirt) and matte and red for the mask.

That’s terrifying on so many levels.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

dye combinations

bri.2359

Oh my ……
I am at a loss for words …………..

Gandara Megaserver