guardian, necromarcer, engineer or mesmer?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: TalFX.7963

TalFX.7963

I want to open up a new character and i don’t know which profession to choose, I hope that you would help me with it
I already have level 80 Warrior and Ele which were super fun by the way.
and i already tried the Ranger and thief and i didn’t really liked them…

what profession would you prefer to start the game all over again? and which race will have the best connection to the specific profession?

(edited by TalFX.7963)

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

you played both of the strongest profession, it will be hard to like other lesser ones.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’d say mesmer for aesthetics and utility or guardian for usefulness and utility. A good mesmer can carry the worst parties and so can a good guardian. Mesmer has a bit more challenge associated with it, but guardians can have their challenges with their low health pools. This said, I love my asura guardian, because the animations are adorable and my human mesmer is gorgeous and “majestic”. So I like both for different reasons.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: eye floater.7140

eye floater.7140

Guardian is a lot of fun, sort of a cross between ele and warrior, as far as support goes. Necro is different, due to the condition builds they can use (even if they don’t work that well in PVE). Mesmer takes a while to level. Engy I found to be boring.

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I’d only recommend necromancer to you if you want to do a lot of organized WvW, as that is where necromancers are one of the strongest classes, in addition to warrior, guardian, and elementalists.

And don’t think that necromancers are a condition only class. Our power builds are many times more effective against zergs, and in dungeons, you won’t make friends playing with conditions, but it can give you hilariously easy 1v1 matches in pvp.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

Most of the time I play Mesmer, Guardian and Engineer. Imo: Engineer is the #1 profession for events with multiple attacking waves, similar to the Elementalist, but able to do it alone over a long time. Mesmer is the #1 profession for champ farming, especially while leveling a/o doing it alone. Guardian is to compensate Mesmer and Engineer gameplay experience, has quite good utilities for both soloing and party play but his base HP is as low as on Ele and Thief, which can result in death easily against groups or champs when I’m not attentive.

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

Engineer.

Good damage, support and control. All in 1 package.

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

It depends on what you want to get out of the class.

Elementalist is the king of damage so I wouldn’t expect to getting equal numbers on any other class. However, if you do want reasonably close numbers, engineer and mesmer both hit quite hard. Necromancer and guardian are weaker by comparison so that would rule them out.

Guardian is popular because they can pile on a lot of support buffs and basically AFK through a lot of content. However, they do not buff well offensively so you will likely find that it takes longer than you would like to solo a lot of stuff, and your ability to receive buffs from allies in group content is directly proportional to the quality of the group, so playing guardian may result in a lot of situations where neither your party nor the enemy are taking damage.

Necromancer is a good solo class due to their absurdly high health pool and decent self-buffing, but they are pretty much worthless for any group content. “Kick necros on sight” is a common rule for a lot of dungeon pugs.

Engineer is a very strong class across the board but they have to press a lot of buttons to be effective. It’s not impossible to manage but if you just want to take it easy and AFK everything at range you probably don’t want to roll an engineer.

Mesmer is a strong class for group content against stronger mobs (like elites and champs) but their AOE sucks and they take too long to ramp up to good damage, making them really bad for dealing with large groups of weaker mobs. They also lack a good speed boost so it takes a while longer to get anywhere with a mesmer than with any other class.

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Necromancer is a good solo class due to their absurdly high health pool and decent self-buffing, but they are pretty much worthless for any group content. “Kick necros on sight” is a common rule for a lot of dungeon pugs.

I’m not going to let you spread misinformation, especially to an impressionable new player. Necromancers may objectively be the worst class, but “kick necros on sight” is not a common rule for PUGs.

You just have to not be an idiot when you pick a party. If the party only wants heavies and eles, yeah they’ll kick you on sight. If its a zerker party and you bring a condition damage necro, yeah they’ll kick when they realize you don’t match the zerker description they advertised, but that goes for any class not running purely offensive gear. I have never been kicked from any pug group for bringing my necro, and I mainly join zerker gear parties.

I’ve actually been kicked more times on my elementalist, usually for raging when people steal lightning hammers and when I tell them to not spam symbols and feedbacks before I can stack might, or simply for disagreeing on strategic methods on encounters.. ie, I wanted to use Deykeyz’s uncategorized fractal video strategy for old Tom, which is essentially blocking his projectiles with the earth elemental while we all burst him down. A warrior in our party said that I was kittened, had no AR, and no DPS, simply for suggesting this strategy, and he tried to kick me for that. Needless to say though, despite all of this, he was kicked instead.

Anyway, I am in no way suggesting to use necros for speedclears if you’re into that, but it is fine enough when pugging and deathshroud lets you survive and carry a group much better if everyone else wipes. I like it because I also don’t have to worry about people mucking up my strategies and gimping my DPS, which is why I don’t pug with ele anymore.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Elementalist is the king of damage so I wouldn’t expect to getting equal numbers on any other class.

My thief says ‘hello’ while eating ele’s for snacks …

Guardian is popular because they can pile on a lot of support buffs and basically AFK through a lot of content. However, they do not buff well offensively so you will likely find that it takes longer than you would like to solo a lot of stuff, and your ability to receive buffs from allies in group content is directly proportional to the quality of the group, so playing guardian may result in a lot of situations where neither your party nor the enemy are taking damage.

You clearly know nothing about guardians or playing one

A full zerk 4/5/0/0/5 GS guardian in scholar runes can do more sustained damage than a warrior, while still throwing out some support buffs. Also, it seems you know nothing about guards ability to stack group might And no decent guardian player would build bunker/support for dungeons/PvE because they would be utterly useless.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

(edited by bri.2359)

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Elementalist is the king of damage so I wouldn’t expect to getting equal numbers on any other class.

My thief says ‘hello’ while eating ele’s for snacks …

You clearly know nothing about guardians or playing one

A full zerk 4/5/0/0/5 GS guardian in scholar runes can do more sustained damage than a warrior, while still throwing out some support buffs. Also, it seems you know nothing about guards ability to stack group might And no decent guardian player would build bunker/support for dungeons/PvE because they would be utterly useless.

I like how I used to get in big fights with Strife about guardian vs. warrior DPS like two years ago back when everyone still thought Hundred Blades was best DPS in the game and guardian was only for tanking, and now randoms are telling me I don’t know how to DPS guardian and regurgitating outdated info that I myself put out there literally years ago.

The fact of the matter is that guardian has high BASE DPS which means that with 25 might, vuln, and fury from external sources plus warriors to supply banners, they do excellent damage. That said, warriors have gotten substantial buffs since two years ago and their peak buffed damage is now higher than the guardian’s in their respective DPS specs. Also, guardian puts out very little might unless they make substantial personal DPS tradeoffs, they have almost no access to fury, and their vuln stacking is average at best. That means that if you’re in an average pug that does not stack anything, you won’t buff your group that well and you won’t hit that hard yourself because they’re not buffing you either. Compare that to a warrior or engineer who can pump multiple buffs up to the max and still deal high DPS and the difference is pretty apparent.