how can people afford buff-food for wvw?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Q:

I’m a regular WvW player and started to think about playing less causally and more concerned about my stats lately. I wonder how people can afford the buff-food, are they crafting it themselves or do they buy it from the trading-post etc.

I know that commanders often provide some stuff, but it’s mostly something for making you last longer in battle (which I already get through my gear-stats).

The potent master tuning crystal, for example costs about 30 silver on the tp.

Maybe I’m exaggerating, what’s your take on buffing in WvW?

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

A:

My tip : look for the second highest tier of food, its often much cheaper than the hightest since people may create it for leveling and sell it for less than what the mats cost that you need to craft it

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

my take is that they should make the food last for a day or something

Posted by: Liet Talen.7284

Liet Talen.7284

In my opinion, you should use what is available to in-game to provide any advantage over your opponent. Even one percent could be the difference in applying a finisher or having one applied.

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

My driver provides our group with lemongrass, saffron bread, obrian steak, and rare veggie pizza each hour. I don’t know how he affords everything but I don’t question it. We have to use our own sharpening stones and oils though, which is fair.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

My tip : look for the second highest tier of food, its often much cheaper than the hightest since people may create it for leveling and sell it for less than what the mats cost that you need to craft it

Oh, the potent master tuning crystal actually gives the same buff as the master tuning crystal a tier below – just different upkeep-time. Nice suggestion!

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

If you are looking for condition damage/duration then try super veggie pizza. Last time i checked it was about 10s on the TP. Minotaur steaks are easy to produce in large quantities and they last a full hour.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: xihorus.2804

xihorus.2804

You could also consider taking up cooking. One of the nice things about WvW is it has many different tiers of harvestable ingredients (and ore/trees).

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Usually there are the lvl 60 version of the food you want, buy it and pop like candy, those are really cheap and almost as good.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If you are looking for condition damage/duration then try super veggie pizza. Last time i checked it was about 10s on the TP. Minotaur steaks are easy to produce in large quantities and they last a full hour.

Super Veggie Pizza is less than 2s.
You are probably thinking of Rare Veggie Pizza but Koi Cake is much cheaper although it means you have to use it more often.

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

Super Veggie Pizza is less than 2s.
You are probably thinking of Rare Veggie Pizza but Koi Cake is much cheaper although it means you have to use it more often.

They are bargain priced, and probably the OP’s best choice.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I don’t even bother using consumables in WvW. If somebody drops a feast, I’ll happily eat it, but honestly I find that unless you’re roaming or GvG’ing, fights come down to numbers, superior siege, and who gets the drop on the other first. The bonus given by consumables hardly makes a difference.

Posted by: mcgriddles.2416

mcgriddles.2416

I don’t even bother using consumables in WvW. If somebody drops a feast, I’ll happily eat it, but honestly I find that unless you’re roaming or GvG’ing, fights come down to numbers, superior siege, and who gets the drop on the other first. The bonus given by consumables hardly makes a difference.

Actually this is NOT true. As a member of a WvW skill group, I find that I do not last NEARLY as long in fights without food (Lemongrass Poultry) than with it.

-

When it comes to paying for food (I hear your struggle on how expensive it is), my guild and I have started doing material runs so we can make our own. We also speed run dungeons together for gold. WvW is sooo not profitable so it’s really the only way any of us make money.

Incursiƶn [iN]

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

That’s why I still PvE- just to get mats to make food buffs for WvW. Level a cook up to 400 and gather in zones where the mats you need are located.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Spend an hour or two in Orr once a week, farming events, and you’ll be able to afford consumables.

I believe they are imperative for WvW (speaking as a necro main).

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

potent potions cost like 20% more than regular potions but last 100% longer. If you’re wvw’ing for more than 40 min, I highly recommend the potent potions.
by ‘second-highest tier’, he meant hardened sharpening stone instead of superior. slightly less buff: 5/3 instead of 6/4, but costs about 1/10th as much (1s30c instead of 15s).
it’s likely cheaper to craft them yourself, but not by much (less than 20%). so unless you use a metric-ton of them or like to craft as well, probably easier to just buy them.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

For different tiers i assume the poster meant something like the -40% condi food at about 18s each compared to the -36% condi food at about 3s each (going off memory which is not totally accurate so don’t flip out if that’s not exact pricing).

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)