i dont have the greatest computer but...

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Wolfe.3097

Wolfe.3097

i wonder if something is wrong. i know wvw is taxing but i have to put it in LOWEST possible settings to be playable.

amd 4.0 ghz quad core processor
radeon hd 6970 vid card
7200 hd hard drive
and 8 gb ddr3 ram.

i thought iw as ok, but i tried wvw and i get down to single digits if i dont put everything on low (save for that one thing that makes evertying pixilated)

i know i have a older computer by the parts. but i feel like i tshould still possibly run better then this. am i missing somethign? is something not optomized maybe?

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

now we could get into a lot of questions…..:

Which line of processors from AMD? (CPU-Z?)
6970 is not extremely high end which one, do you have the most recent drivers?
on what motherboard,
on what resolution,
do you use a second screen?
driver info? (GPU-Z?)
Does your mobo allow PCI-E 16 v2.0?
Does your GPU?
Does it switch to v2.0 in low settings? or does it downthrottle?

What operating system? recent install or old?

7200 = rotations number, not the size nor the speed, fopr your harddisk.
the ram is ok. Gw2 can use 4 Gb maximum as it is 32 bit

if you have a lighter system (older, or whatever, make sure you do not use any resident (preloaded programs if you do not need to.) if you are just going to run gw2, disable virus checks, and all other things you will not need. also deinstall stuff you never use.

Clean it. also physically, use some bottled air. make sure it can vent well and your fans are clean.

Check your drivers, get the NEWEST drivers you can. For ALL parts of your machine…

I have a Hex core i7 at 3.8 Ghz and 2 GTX 780’s in SLi, with 32 Gb DDR3 and I sometimes drop into 12-18 FPS in WvW zerg vs zerg battles… so you understand.

To show animations on 120-160 ppl at the same time tends to be taxing for any system, and bottlenecked by the servers as well..

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Dsybok.1405

Dsybok.1405

Its not your video card, I run a 5750 HD Radeon and I play mostly on high settings on everything.

I do have 16 GB of ram and an i7, but its an older i7 2600k 3.4 GHZ. I don’t think video card is your problem. I will get down to 6 or 10 FPS in a big world boss fight daily with 100 plus people on the map. WvW is never an issue for me.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

Posted by: Katalos.5038

Katalos.5038

Single digit is weird, I am playing on my laptop with only Radeon HD 6750M. I have ~10 FPS when there are too many players, ~20 FPS when I am in a normal size zerg.

ps. I am using medium-low setting.

Wolfe.3097

latest drivers for everything i know that much.

.amd fx 4130 quad core processor

motherboard is a sabertooth 990fx (first gen, not the later ones)

1080p settings.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Exactly what model AMD quad core you have? I’m guessing FX-4xxx unless you are overclocking a Phenom II. Of course CPU goes hand in hand with the motherboard and isn’t something all that easy to upgrade.

HD 6970 isn’t all that bad, it’s HD 7850/R7 265 territory in terms of performance.

8GB of ram is fine.

@ Pax – Well 7200 rpm drives of the same generation do have faster transfer rates than 5400 rpm drives. Of course nowadays platter density has gone up to the point that a current generation 5400 rpm drive could have the same transfer rate of a 3 year old 7200 rpm drive. But as gamers flock to SSDs it’s becoming more about capacity, power use and price than performance.

Improve video card isn’t going to impact WvW, all those other players, that’s the CPU blocking you. If you do have an FX-4xxx CPU you should have been aware that it’s performance target was that of an Intel i3 dual core with HT and not an i5 quad core or even a Phenom II quad. And if you have a Phenom II quad, Intel beat that performance back in 2009 with the i5-750.

Large groups of players nearby increase both game reported ping and spikes CPU usage. The primary game setting to turn down in WvW is Character Model Quality which displays other players using their actual model. In large shifting crowds this could churn memory and disk building and discarding character models as they drift into and out of range. So set this to lowest. Character Model Limit is a mix bag because it limits the number of players displayed. So what’s worse, low frame rate or invisible enemy until the last moment?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Dsybok.1405

Dsybok.1405

The only time that will happen is when I get stacked onto a boss like Maw with 150 people , it will spike down to 6 to 8, but normally will stay around 10-15. That happens to everyone IMHO. It doesn’t impact gameplay as all you have to do at that point is mash the 1 button. It would never be noticeable in normal gameplay when I am 40 plus.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

Wolfe.3097

i can play witcher 3 on low without issues and i can play evolve on medium. as well as dragon age inquisition, tho i know those are offline games.

Wolfe.3097

ya i know amd isnt the best. gonna drop a hefty 2-3k on a entire rework to new stuff (and some fancy fun stuff) after this summer job. but right now, this is what i have to work with.

Behellagh.1468

i can play witcher 3 on low without issues and i can play evolve on medium. as well as dragon age inquisition, tho i know those are offline games.

Which is entirely immaterial to this discussion. Different engine, different style of game.

RIP City of Heroes

Wolfe.3097

Which is entirely immaterial to this discussion. Different engine, different style of game.

ya as i said i know those are offline (well not evolve but its wildly different) so it taxes things differently

Posted by: Spirigo.2897

Spirigo.2897

Probably a bottleneck in some part of hardware. A friend of mine had an issue like that because of PSU out of all things.

Wolfe.3097

750 watt psu so dont know if that would be it

Behellagh.1468

Ah, and Fx-4130, even worse, first gen Bulldozer core. At least it’s not 1st gen Phenom with it’s L3 cache issue and low clock speed.

And you don’t need to blow 2-3K on an entire new system. You can get a reasonable decent rig, DIY, for $1500. Be aware that we are on the cusp of DDR4 shift in RAM which will affect CPUs since they all currently have the memory controller built in. Late next year is AMD’s “Zen” line of CPUs and Intel has already started with their high end Haswell-E line, nothing mainstream yet.

RIP City of Heroes

Wolfe.3097

hmmm think it could be because of my bios? there are 3 settings in it. power save, balanced, and some form of overclocking settings in my amd bios thing. its set to the overclock thing, temps are fine, but i wonder if thats actually causing other issues…

Wolfe.3097

Ah, and Fx-4130, even worse, first gen Bulldozer core. At least it’s not 1st gen Phenom with it’s L3 cache issue and low clock speed.

And you don’t need to blow 2-3K on an entire new system. You can get a reasonable decent rig, DIY, for $1500. Be aware that we are on the cusp of DDR4 shift in RAM which will affect CPUs since they all currently have the memory controller built in. Late next year is AMD’s “Zen” line of CPUs and Intel has already started with their high end Haswell-E line, nothing mainstream yet.

im spending that much because i will be able to and i want to. and yes it will involve ddr4 and the proper new intel cpu and motherboard to take advantage of new and future hardware improvements.

i actually ahve my evolving list bookmarked lol.

Behellagh.1468

Just didn’t want you to spend that much on an “ecosystem” that’s on the way out.

I do want to point out that the Haswell-E line is a bit of overkill when it comes to gaming. You are spending a lot of money on not a lot of extra performance.

RIP City of Heroes

Wolfe.3097

Just didn’t want you to spend that much on an “ecosystem” that’s on the way out.

I do want to point out that the Haswell-E line is a bit of overkill when it comes to gaming. You are spending a lot of money on not a lot of extra performance.

ya i know, but its whats needed right now to keep up with the future hardware. however if by the time im in position to buy the hardware and there is something that is cheaper/offers better performance ill purchase it instead.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

ur processor is the bottleneck

gw2 is processor hungry
amd doesnt work well when come to gaming due to games’ designs

if you want to have higher fps, it is either you overclock it or get intel processor

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Behellagh.1468

Well Intel’s “Skylake” CPUs should be out Aug-Sept. Mainstream DDR4 support (as well as DDR-3L).

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-launch-schedule-leaked-skylake-s-skylake-y-skylake-h-skylake-u-launch-september-2015/

Note the new socket, 1151. For Socket 1150 users the mainstream desktop Broadwell line should be out in a few weeks which is likely to kick up the performance a bit.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Wolfe.3097

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8cT3XL

this is what im looking at right now. tho it will probably change by the time summer is over.

Wolfe.3097

Well Intel’s “Skylake” CPUs should be out Aug-Sept. Mainstream DDR-3 and DDR4 support.

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-launch-schedule-leaked-skylake-s-skylake-y-skylake-h-skylake-u-launch-september-2015/

hmm good to know, i guess it will depend on price

SkyShroud.2865

i5 is good enough for games
if you going for high end cards and not extreme cards, i5 is good enough

only enthusiast will go for i7 since only i7 can easily bring out the full potential of dual graphic cards

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Wolfe.3097

i5 is good enough for games
if you going for high end cards and not extreme cards, i5 is good enough

only enthusiast will go for i7 since only i7 can easily bring out the full potential of dual graphic cards

the processor i have picked brings out the full potential of 2 cards, but not beyond that.

im limiting myself to two cards basically.

Behellagh.1468

Where is this BS about i7s bringing out the “full potential” of multi GPUs coming from? The mainstream i5 and i7s are both quad cores. HT on an i7 simply lets a core be a bit more efficient at two threads than if those two threads were simply multitasking. If anything Haswell-E’s ability to allow x16/x16 over x8/x8 probably provides more of a kick.

RIP City of Heroes

Wolfe.3097

Where is this BS about i7s bringing out the “full potential” of multi GPUs coming from? The mainstream i5 and i7s are both quad cores. HT on an i7 simply lets a core be a bit more efficient at two threads than if those two threads were simply multitasking. If anything Haswell-E’s ability to allow x16/x16 over x8/x8 probably provides more of a kick.

the one i picked does x16/x16/x8

hence the 2 video cards on my list

Behellagh.1468

I know but that has nothing to do with i7s over an i5. That’s Haswell-E over Haswell.

RIP City of Heroes

SkyShroud.2865

i just saw that link, so u completely overhaul ur system eh
looks good, no comment on the speaker, not a speaker person

not getting a storage hdd?

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Wolfe.3097

i just saw that link, so u completely overhaul ur system eh
looks good, no comment on the speaker, not a speaker person

not getting a storage hdd?

not replacing everything, i have a storage hd, and a computer case. and a couple other things.

SkyShroud.2865

there are games that are badly optimized for pc, assassin creed for example, though most games should be fine. i5 with some overclocking can be fine for optimized games in long run. though im pretty much talking about all games.

also, meh, since already spending much on getting such a extreme setup, spending another hundred to get i7 wouldn’t kill

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Wolfe.3097

there are games that are badly optimized for pc, assassin creed for example, though most games should be fine. i5 with some overclocking can be fine for optimized games in long run. though im pretty much talking about all games.

also, meh, since already spending much on getting such a extreme setup, spending another hundred to get i7 wouldn’t kill

right now for a haswell i7 its a bit more then 100 bucks more…. just saying

tho that may change by this fall

Behellagh.1468

So from what I can tell the Skyline CPUs will have 20 PCIe lanes and with the right chipset support x8/x8/x4. The soon to arrive Broadwell for socket 1150 will still only support x8/x8 with it’s 16 PCIe lanes.

So if x16/x16/x8 is important, that only leaves you with the Haswell-E.

RIP City of Heroes

Wolfe.3097

So from what I can tell the Skyline CPUs will have 20 PCIe lanes and with the right chipset support x8/x8/x4. The soon to arrive Broadwell for socket 1150 will still only support x8/x8 with it’s 16 PCIe lanes.

So if x16/x16/x8 is important, that only leaves you with the Haswell-E.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80648i75930k

wich is in fact what i have in store to get.

obviously the specific processor could change tho in the future, whose telling what my list will look like by the end of the summer!

Behellagh.1468

I know, saw your list earlier. I was just talking out loud about the short term alternatives and concluding that the Haswell-E was the way to go.

Still ignoring the peripherals the rig itself is a reasonable $2300 for a 32GB, pair of GTX 970 setup. Saved a bit by reusing the case and existing drives. And you didn’t go insane with the $960 octo-core so that’s a plus.

It should last you for a few years.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

AMD CPU sucks on GW2

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Behellagh.1468

No, slow cores sucks on GW2. AMD currently doesn’t have a CPU with fast cores.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I have a new laptop and still get stupid lag and 4fps in WvW, quite often (but not always), on any graphics settings.

The fact it varies, in similar in-game situations, makes me think that, outside of certain set parameters, it’s less about the PC and more about the time of day, or night, you’re playing.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

GW2 is not optimized worth a dime. I dissapeared for a year. When I came back, I had the same computer but with a faster video card (2 car dgenerations newer). The game performed WORSE.

Somewhere in the last year, Anet broke the game. It sucks for everyone now.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Wolfe.3097

GW2 is not optimized worth a dime. I dissapeared for a year. When I came back, I had the same computer but with a faster video card (2 car dgenerations newer). The game performed WORSE.

Somewhere in the last year, Anet broke the game. It sucks for everyone now.

while i dont think thats true i do feel like it runs worse after i came back, and i upgraded pretty much everything by that point.

/shrug