is there a class that can solo a champion level mob?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Voltic.6912

Voltic.6912

like the subject says ^^^^^

I’ll keep it to a melee mob as champions with ranged abilities can ruin my day. Not enough dodges and shields to absorb and avoid all the damage.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

Depends on the champion.

Any class who can do reasonable ranged damage would be able to indefinitely kite the champions who either only melee, or primarily melee with slow and easily dodged ranged attacks.

Well built and played Guardians and Warriors can successfully melee many champions if they use their dodges and defensive abilities effectively.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Licht.5168

Licht.5168

Well, I have done such a thing on my warrior against a champion spider boss in Gendarran Fields. Kited around the thing with GS and Sword/Shield. Also, at that time, I was using the Signet build.

Anyway, I imagine most Champion mobs can be soloed, though it purely depends on the enemy itself, the speed and range of its attacks, and what effects it can use. For example, the spider could poison and cripple me; whenever I got hit with a cripple, I’d switch to GS and Whirlwind away from it.

Xarinn – Warrior L80 – 400AS/400WS
Sanctum of Rall
“Quaggan’s a piwate! Yarr!” – “Pirate”

Posted by: wookalar.8952

wookalar.8952

I’ve solo’d a champion as a Mesmer. Mesmers are good at surviving fights when the odds are stacked against you. However, it took a long time. I was able to easily deal with his adds that kept respawning too.

I think the main thing is your skill and build. It can probably be done with any class, you just need to learn your class well.

Nanuuk (80 Mes), Guardian Nuuk (80 Guard),
Warrior Nuuk (80 War)
[ALS], Anvil Rock

Posted by: Onza.7165

Onza.7165

I’ve solo’d a few champions on my guardian using staff + mace/shield. Does take a while though haha.

More violence, less violets.

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

took some down with my ranger...but some champs are so weak if they have the ability the spawn adds (alot, yeah, but one AOE from a single person ---> all dead)
and mostly they go invulnerable and remain calm until the adds are dead, so time to rest and stall away your cooldowns

i would count on a mesmer too, with the right combinations of skills, you always got some clones/phantasms out to distract the champ..but it would take ALOT time to take him down

also depends on the champion...some are like 4 year olds, some are on super steroids and not soloable, no matter how much skill and good gear you have
but they are never meant to be taken down solo in the first place...

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

(edited by wauwi.9162)

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

My necromancer nearly soloed the champion krait in Caledon Forest (in the north east corner by the skill point). I say “nearly” only because other people joined in after I had already brought it down to about 40% health. It took a long time, but kiting and bleeds were enough. The krait was just swimming in circles with me, bleeding all the while.

I’m positive that I could have finished it off alone, but it definitely went faster once others joined in.

On the flip side, the champion troll in Queensdale is fast. I don’t think I’d be able to kite him for very long before he just ran over and hit me upside the head.

Posted by: Thalimae.3406

Thalimae.3406

I can take down champions with my mesmer… with a lot of time and a lot of space… and maybe a little luck. It really depends a lot on the champion and the location.

I’ve found one of the biggest hindrances of soloing a champion are the mobs around it. Even if you killed them all before you engage the champion they often enough have an insane respawn rate and all of a sudden you don’t just fight a champion but also two veterans and a bunch of normals. Good luck getting out of there alive.

Posted by: Daily.5381

Daily.5381

I’ve had a lot of luck with my ranger. Kiting is pretty simple with them. Though, as someone said, some are just crazy hard and could never be solo’d, but many can be.

I have to stop drinking milkshakes.
I hate all those boys in my yard.

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

I can solo most champs on my elementalist …. Takes a while and requires me constantly changing attunements …. But it’s doable almost every time. The only one I haven’t been able to beat was this major spider in a cave I forget which zone but it had a billion hp and needed a couple others to kill.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

YES!

Warrior, Thief, Ranger, Mesmer, Necromancer, Elementalist, Engineer and Guardian can solo a champion.