movement in game

movement in game

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Vegeta.4035

Vegeta.4035

I dont like how you have to use the keyboard to move in game, anyway to use the mouse to do your moving? used to d3..

movement in game

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

There is not. And with how much movement is needed in combat, mouse movement would get you killed very quickly.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

movement in game

Posted by: Mazer.8923

Mazer.8923

I’ve got a friend who never uses his keyboard except to type. He’s done this in several MMO’s over the years I’ve known him with ease. Probably something you’d really have to get used to but he uses a combo of a mouse and Razer Nostromo key pad. I don’t know what kind of mouse it is off the top of my head but I think it might be a Naga or some sort of Logitech mouse.

movement in game

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

I’ve got a friend who never uses his keyboard except to type. He’s done this in several MMO’s over the years I’ve known him with ease. Probably something you’d really have to get used to but he uses a combo of a mouse and Razer Nostromo key pad. I don’t know what kind of mouse it is off the top of my head but I think it might be a Naga or some sort of Logitech mouse.

having nostromo is pretty much like keyboard;p except for typing and it is more comfy

movement in game

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you hold down both mouse buttons your character will run forward and you can turn by moving the mouse. Alternatively put auto-run on (default key is R) and use the right mouse button to turn.

If you’ve got a gaming mouse with extra buttons you could also map some of the movement keys to the mouse.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

movement in game

Posted by: Rannug.2731

Rannug.2731

I use the right mouse button in combination to the trackball to look around, in addition to this, pressing the left mouse button gets you running. So left and right mouse buttons together will run your character in the direction you ‘steer’ the mouse.
So yes, you can use the mouse to move your character. Better then just using WASD!

movement in game

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Doesn’t the nostromo have a thumstick for movement?

movement in game

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

you can’t strafe, and you cant go backwards. Jumping puzzles and ‘bosses’, where you have to be very mobile would be an absolute chore.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

movement in game

Posted by: Mazer.8923

Mazer.8923

I’m not positive since I don’t use one but I think you’re right.

And Choovanski, I’m not sure if that was directed towards the Nostromo but my friend also does jumping puzzles and such just fine. I’m sure it would take some getting used to but it seems to work out well for him.

(It’s late and I can’t figure out if there’s a way to quote two people in the same post.)

movement in game

Posted by: Tom.6478

Tom.6478

I can’t use the WASD keys. My fingers simply won’t move independently in order to use WASD properly. Maybe I’m too old or just uncordinated. It doesn’t matter, I can’t do it.

Having said that, I’m doing just fine using the mouse while pressing both buttons.

Granted having this limitation, I will never be a pro. However, I have got 3 level 80’s, and 2 of them have the world comepletion achievment.

I quess all I’m trying to say, if you can’t use WASD like me, you can still do very well and have fun playing the game….:)

movement in game

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

if your mouse has enough buttons, set those as your movement keys
I wanted to do that at first, but found my current setup more to my liking:
forward = D
strafe left = S
strafe right = F
any turning is done while holding down right click
backing up can only be done with strafing – which is faster than backing up, and still allows ranged attacks at the enemy
I centered on D instead of S so more keys are closer to reach with zero trouble.

movement in game

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

The nostromo does have a thumbstick.

To the OP though: mouse movement in this game would be absolutely terrible. In a lot of games, you can still find click-to-move as an option. There’s a reason it’s not available here. However, if you were to get any MMO gaming mouse, and map movement keys to it, you’d be close to set.

I’d personally suggest a Corsair Vengeance M90 for that task, as the button layout is significantly better for that exact task. Two less buttons than a Razer Naga Epic, but with a better layout, better DPI, and $50 less.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

movement in game

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What works for me is using several different systems depending on what I’m doing in-game:

1) When I’m going long-distances I put auto-run on and use the right mouse button to turn.

2) For shorter distances, but still just exploring I hold down both mouse buttons to move and turn with the mouse. I generally hold down Ctrl+Alt with my other hand to make it easier to spot things worth stopping for.

3) When I’m doing jump puzzles/vistas/jumping generally I switch to having the index finger of my right hand (I’m left-handed btw) on \ (which is jump) and the middle finger on W then turn with the mouse. (If you’re used to it mouse turning gives you plenty of control and is a lot faster than keyboard turning. Most of the people who complained about the Wintersday puzzle found it much easier once they were mouse turning.)

4) In combat I switch to having my right hand on the arrow keys for moving (forward, back and stafe left/right) and my left hand goes between the number keys and the mouse if I need to turn.

I’ve tried sticking to one system for everything but always found that whilst it might work in some situations at other times it’s more trouble than it’s worth so although it sounds complicated this is actually the easiest for me.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”