need suggestion for a good gaming monitor

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Penny.1645

Penny.1645

a lot of people told me i wont notice a difference but i really just want

need advice or tips which one is good or worth lookin at?

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

BenQ XL2730Z is a top of the line Freesync monitor, designed for NVidia cards.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-benq-xl2730z-is-almost-everything-i-want-in-a-gaming-monitor/

It’s pricey though. GW2 is a DX9 game that’s not that graphically intensive that you’d need a high end gaming monitor. I’m using a GL2450. Nice on a budget.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/benq-gl2450-review

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

(edited by Pretty Pixie.8603)

Posted by: Rainmaker.7594

Rainmaker.7594

It depends on what you’re looking for. Personally, I can’t stand looking at TN panels for very long. However alot of gamers (including most pros) prefer them because they are faster. The advantages of TN are just speed and price. They tend to suffer when it comes to viewing angles (cheap ones are the worst – any view but dead center will cause contrast and color shifts), color accuracy, color depth, and to a lesser extent contrast ratios (true contrast ratio, dynamic contrast is BS used to inflate their numbers). I very much prefer IPS panels. The drawbacks of IPS panels are price and speed, but they’re so much more pleasant to look at.
My monitor is a Dell u3014 (monitors are one of the few things I’d actually recommend Dell for, at least at their top end).

Decide what is important to you, then check various review sites. I recommend http://www.tftcentral.co.uk – they post very in depth reviews, covering anything you’d be looking for in a monitor. From what I’ve read (its been awhile), Asus, BenQ, and NEC tend to rate very well overall. Dell rates well at their mid to high end monitors.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Imo just get a decent IPS panel and you’ll be good to go. You should be able to get one for $120-130 on sale or $150-160 not on sale. I’ve got an Asus VS239H-P and, although the stand is garbage, the monitor is great

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Geezer.9236

Geezer.9236

Penny, I highly recommend this site: https://pcmonitors.info/

And the expert who runs it actually responds to questions posted in the forums (at least he did when I purchased my monitor, though that was some time ago). I can also vouch for the site’s impartiality/objectivity.

I don’t know how knowledgeable you are about monitors, but, as you can probably guess, it’s a subject that can run very deep should you choose to immerse yourself in it. Assuming you don’t, there are a number of key considerations that will go into an intelligent purchase, among them: price, screen size, screen type (TN, LED TN, IPS, VA, etc.), response time/refresh rate, contrast, black levels, anti-glare coating. If you’re unfamiliar, I’ll break these down a bit more.

Price: I’d expect to pay $150-$250 (U.S.) for a good monitor. Of course, this will depend on size and quality.

Size: Typically 24"-27". That’s good for a desk. Smaller will be, well, too small. Bigger may seem overwhelming and also may require you to play games at higher resolutions, which typically translates into a more expensive, high-end graphics card.

Screen type: TN screens are common and cheap. They’re also fast. How is a monitor “fast”? It translates into how quickly the monitor can respond to visual changes onscreen. For games — especially “twitch-style” fast-action games like first-person shooter, racing games, etc. (i.e., not GW2) — you need instant response. Otherwise, you can get visible “ghosting” or image smearing as the monitor struggles to move pixels around more quickly. The downside of TN screens is that visual quality and color accuracy can suffer compared to other screen types. IPS screens are prized for color accuracy and vibrancy. VA screens (fairly rare) are prized for excellent contrast and deep black levels (meaning black appears black and not dark gray).

Anti-glare coating: Many screens employ a coating that reduces glare from nearby light sources that will cause distracting reflections on the monitor. The downside of this otherwise desirable feature is that it can dull colors and make the screen appear slightly hazy. Some manufacturers use less coating than others, and how much you can tolerate is a matter of personal taste.

Personally, I like uncoated monitors with glass screens. They produce glowing, sharp colors. However, I also ensure that the room I game in only has light sources behind the monitor (no glare).

Ideally, you’ll get to see a monitor in all its glory (as in actually operating) before you buy. Bear in mind, though, that settings make an enormous difference in how good a monitor (and TVs, for that matter) looks. A monitor that looks awful relative to its peers in the store may actually just needs some heavy tuning, which is fairly easy to do. This is why many shoppers rely on reviews.

I hope this gives you a sense of the world you’re diving into. If you’re new to monitor tech, I highly recommend reading a recent monitor buying guide from a known PC hardware source (Cnet, PCmag, etc.). Then, once you have a budget, size and other needs defined, see which one a large consensus of users is happy with (Newegg and Amazon are good sources for this).

Hope this helps.

(edited by Geezer.9236)

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I’m a competitive PvPer in this game (I’ve been flown to Boston and won money competing in GW2) and just went through this debate. Did I want a TN with 120hz refresh rate or an IPS with 60hz refresh rate. I ended up going with an IPS because I wanted the games I play to look the best and new that 120hz wasn’t going to make a difference in the way I play. + When j eventually upgrade I could just use my IPS as a little TV. Since getting my IPS I have been amazed by it. I went from like a 2005 4:3 monitor to a $250 2560×1440 IPS, the difference was amazing!

Posted by: rich.3901

rich.3901

I can’t add anything to the “which monitor is best” conversation but I’ll add something that has made me consider which monitor to buy when I upgrade my 19 inch square.

GPU-Monitor connection cables. DVI, DVI-I, DVI-D, VGA, DisplayPort, HDMI and so on.

Make sure that your (whichever you use) onboard graphics/graphics card and new monitor are compatible! VGA is so 1980’s nowdays it’s all DVI-I, DVI-D, DisplayPort, HDMI and so on. This being especially important if you run a multi-monitor setup, monitor for games and internet, TV for films in my case.

For example, my television is HDMI, my monitor is DVI-D or VGA. My old and new system are compatible with both, but my choice of new graphics card (GTX960) only has HMDI and DisplayPort, thus, I had to consider that I can only use the HDMI for my tv, and I had to look for a monitor with DisplayPort compatability.

Yes, there are adaptors, but some people just dont like them (me for example)

i7 4790K, ASUS Z97 PRO Gamer, 16Gb 1600 Corsair Vengeance, 224Gb SSD, EVGA 600B, GTX960

(edited by rich.3901)