new mouse and keyboard. suggestions please?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: UndeadCreepshow.5316

UndeadCreepshow.5316

I’m looking to buy a good mouse and keyboard for playing Guild Wars 2 and just gaming in general. Looking for something that is good on the less expensive side as i am not the richest person in the world and am limited to what i can buy.

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

razr nosromo and logitech g700 with a standard 10 buck keyboard.

Makes the finer points of character movement feel like halo.

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

If you can try before you buy then do it, I got a Nostromo and it’s sitting there catching dust because the palm rest felt wrong, the G13 is perfect for me, I ended up getting the hubby one and he loves it too.

@Plasmacutter

Does your G700 have good battery life? I’m starting to think I got a dud because mine is eating through batteries like they’re going out of style.

Whispers with meat.

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

If you can try before you buy then do it, I got a Nostromo and it’s sitting there catching dust because the palm rest felt wrong, the G13 is perfect for me, I ended up getting the hubby one and he loves it too.

@Plasmacutter

Does your G700 have good battery life? I’m starting to think I got a dud because mine is eating through batteries like they’re going out of style.

I use the usb cable that came with it. Being a main heal in other mmos made me swear off full wireless for gaming.

I have to hand it to logitech though.. the g700 fits this game like a glove. I can’t imagine playing ele without it.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I use basic hardware and equipment. It’s never stopped me from anything, honestly.

Guild Wars 2 only has a maximum of 10 keybinds, there’s no reason to get expensive keyboards.

If you really want a good keyboard, I’d suggest
The Microsoft Sidewinder X4 keyboard. I originally had the G15 from a Christmas present from my boyfriend, but a drop of water got inside the keys and destroyed it. So I went and bought a budget keyboard that had illuminated keys, at the time this was the cheapest keyboard that had illuminated keys and was designed for gaming. It is also essentially water proof.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-JQD-00001-SideWinder-X4-Keyboard/dp/B002ZV51DI

When I’m playing on my laptop, I use a Playstation 3 controller. Since I have a touchscreen laptop, all of the clicking is done with the screen and all of the movement is done with the controller. It’s not perfect because of the horrible camera in this game, but it’s rather fun.

It also has 6 macro keys, while I do not use them ingame… they are an absolute GODSEND for the batch scripts I run on a daily basis.

(There is no referral in this link, just helping you out)

(edited by Chase.8415)

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

For mouse,Razer Naga Epic,i can’t go without it anymore,especially in an mmo where you have 12 buttons on the side for your skills,its So freaking easy,i couldnt ever go back to be using my keyboard for this.For a keyboard,dont go all nuts and buy these weird nostromo things,you Will regret it.Just buy a slick nice looking Normal keyboard with lighted keys atleast,easy in the dark,got Logitech illuminated keyboard,looks very pretty and slick,really thin keyboard ( also it types very silent).

Mouse
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga-epic/

Keyboard
http://www.logitech.com/nl-nl/product/4740?crid=26

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

My setup that is plug and play, simple to use yet highly effective, is the logitech direction.

IMO there is no need to spend a great deal of cash on a mouse and keyboard unless you are an avid FPS player and want to do well in those arenas.

As for mmo my combination works awesomley and the rest of the additions you can get if you spend more cash are quite redundant in this sense.

First the keyboard. the Logitech G11 keyboard is fine for mmo and fps alike and lets you customise up to 18 different keys. It also allows you to press more than three keys at exactly the same time which is actually one of the major points you look for in a keyboard for gaming. I think this is no longer produced and has been superceded by the Logitech G110.

The mouse... Oh the choices that you have! Its a veritable candy shop isent it? I stuck with logitech for this choice and for myself because i play fps as well as rpg I highly highly highly reccomend the Logitech G500 The stats and specs on this thing are amazing and i doubt you will need a higher DPI than 5700 unless you design aircraft engines or circuitboards for nasa spacecraft. There are plenty of side buttons, A frictionless scroll wheel thats great for those long sprawling forum posts and it even has little weights so you can customise to feel like your old mouse in resistance.

The combination of these two peripherals along with the affordable price and advantage it gives you is a must buy imo.

Also overclockers is a decent site that has its own garuntees for its products and many other benefits.

Good Luck!

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

gennyt.3428

@ Plasmacutter

Yeah I’ve resorted to keeping it plugged in, slight hindrance but I’ll deal. The surface texture takes a little getting used to but it is a major improvement function wise over my last mouse (where the left mouse button started randomly double clicking on single clicks).

@ Chase

I wouldn’t say GW2 has a max of 10 keybinds. I bind the F skills, dodge, weapswitch etc, even my elite in one of my G700’s thumb buttons, it’s a Godsend in Photoshop and the 3D applications I use, I don’t know what I’d do with out em!

/////////////////////////////////

Illuminated keys are nice but I don’t use a computer in the dark so that would essentially be a pointless feature for me. The gamepad took a lot of the strain off my wrist(of course it doesn’t replace a standard keyboard but I barely use that when gaming anyway and even then it’s still sitting right in front of me like normal) and it’s made my fun and work more efficient and that’s what I care about. In the end its up to you, but I stress, try before you buy.

Whispers with meat.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Microsoft X4 + Logitech G700

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Best mouse for me:
http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-World-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Gaming/dp/B004GZ2RCY%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid915750-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB004GZ2RCY
5 buttons on left are your heal, utilities and elite all together.

As for Keyboard I prefer an ultra flat one: http://www.wimitech.it/it/in_pro.asp?id=731
Do not buy the Logitech one it makes a lot of noise and buttons move a lot, bad for gaming.

Caedmon.6798

@ Plasmacutter

Yeah I’ve resorted to keeping it plugged in, slight hindrance but I’ll deal. The surface texture takes a little getting used to but it is a major improvement function wise over my last mouse (where the left mouse button started randomly double clicking on single clicks).

@ Chase

I wouldn’t say GW2 has a max of 10 keybinds. I bind the F skills, dodge, weapswitch etc, even my elite in one of my G700’s thumb buttons, it’s a Godsend in Photoshop and the 3D applications I use, I don’t know what I’d do with out em!

/////////////////////////////////

Illuminated keys are nice but I don’t use a computer in the dark so that would essentially be a pointless feature for me. The gamepad took a lot of the strain off my wrist(of course it doesn’t replace a standard keyboard but I barely use that when gaming anyway and even then it’s still sitting right in front of me like normal) and it’s made my fun and work more efficient and that’s what I care about. In the end its up to you, but I stress, try before you buy.

Well,obviously i tried a gamepad..didnt like it,didnt use it alot,was just a waste of money basically.The suggestions made were for the OP btw..

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

imo gamepads are limiting and only useful for games designed to use them specifically

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

i HIGHLY recommend the Logitech G600 mouse, it is far superior to the equivalent Razer mice (and cheaper) and you can find loads of uses for the side buttons in and out of game.

as for the keyboard, just find something you are comfortable using, the keys can be compact or spaced out so you need to have a proper feel of one to find your comfort zone.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Using a simple 3 button mouse and a Zaitek Cyborg v5 keyboard (regular keyboard with background light, good weight to it, so it stays in its place). I dont need more for GW2 or other games I play.

What is important is that the hardware you use fits your body. I’ve bought several different types of mice and keyboards and many have just collected dust or taken a trip to the closest recycling station. I need the right type of mouse aswell as the right height/slope on my keyboard and its buttons. If you dont get something that fits you, you will end up with wrist, arm and neckpains, thats just how it is.

A good suggestion is, never order keyboards or mice online, unless you have used the same type before and have been happy with it. It’s important to test them out before buying.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

(edited by SneakyErvin.3056)

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Keyboard doesn’t matter. Logitech G700 all the way. 4 thumb buttons, 3 wheel buttons, 3 index finger buttons. Can’t beat that.

gennyt.3428

imo gamepads are limiting and only useful for games designed to use them specifically

I have to disagree with you there. I use it in every game I play and with most other programs I use.

Well,obviously i tried a gamepad..didnt like it,didnt use it alot,was just a waste of money basically.The suggestions made were for the OP btw..

Yes it was a waste of money for you, and that’s fair enough but you were steering him/her from even considering one(because you didn’t like it for reasons you never even stated which I’m sure the OP might want to know, you may have similar tastes). It went a bit beyond a testimonial, you basically told the person that they weren’t going to like it and I simply added my bit about why it works for me to try to help him/her in the process of making a decision.

What is important is that the hardware you use fits your body. I’ve bought several different types of mice and keyboards and many have just collected dust or taken a trip to the closest recycling station. I need the right type of mouse aswell as the right height/slope on my keyboard and its buttons. If you dont get something that fits you, you will end up with wrist, arm and neckpains, thats just how it is.

A good suggestion is, never order keyboards or mice online, unless you have used the same type before and have been happy with it. It’s important to test them out before buying.

Amen

Whispers with meat.

Caedmon.6798

I have to disagree with you there. I use it in every game I play and with most other programs I use.

Yes it was a waste of money for you, and that’s fair enough but you were steering him/her from even considering one(because you didn’t like it for reasons you never even stated which I’m sure the OP might want to know, you may have similar tastes). It went a bit beyond a testimonial, you basically told the person that they weren’t going to like it and I simply added my bit about why it works for me to try to help him/her in the process of making a decision.

Amen

Im steering him away from it like youre steering him towards it ? Whats your point ? I was merely saying i think their a waste of money.Stop going offtopic for the OP’s sake,your comment is irrelevant.The OP is looking for a keyboard – Mouse, Not for a gamepad that he is barely gonna use,you also need the space for it.The suggestions have been made.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Posted by: asperbianca.3196

asperbianca.3196

I use the Corsair Vengeance K60 keyboard and a Razer Mamba mouse. I particularly like the way that the Mamba fits to the positioning of my hand and the response time of the keyboard is fantastic. The only downside, in my opinion, to the Vengeance K60 keyboard is the lack of macro keys, but I hardly ever find myself in a position to where running a macro would be viable anyhow. Here’s the info for you to peruse over:

http://www.corsair.com/en/gaming-peripherals/gaming-keyboards/vengeance-k60-performance-fps-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-mamba

Posted by: GraynX.8947

GraynX.8947

The G600 looks like a monster. Can you play the game with the just the mouse?

Beat Reporter at www.guildwarsinsider.com

gennyt.3428

@Caedmon

How is sharing my experience with a keyboard designed for gaming irrelevant/off topic? It does not hurt them to know what’s out there and read about other people’s experience with said gear, this is the point of posting here. I think it was was quite reasonable to share that information in a thread asking about input devices on a gaming forum, that is not steering and labeling it that won’t make it so. It would help him/her if you stated why you didn’t like the gamepad(this is the second time I’m saying this and you’ve danced around it by making assumptions). That is my point and that is the issue I had with the comment as it didn’t seem very helpful. I hope I made myself clear. Laters

Whispers with meat.

Posted by: Sygrda.6084

Sygrda.6084

I use the Nostromo Gamepad and love it. I started using it many years ago when I had a baby who was nursing all the time, and I wanted to game some still. She is now 8 years old, and I am on my second game pad. I find them very easy to use, and convenient. I set the keys to whatever works for me for that game, and I even have profiles for GW2 for different characters. I like it because I am one of those people who rarely use my desk to hold things, I keep it all on my lap and lean back and play. I don’t mind trying new controllers, if you are unsure about it, see if you can find one on display somewhere and see how hard the grip is for you. I am not sure if it matters, but when I did use the keyboard I was a ESDF rather than a WASD user… my hands don’t have the reach a lot of people have, and I liked the extra keys on the left side. Because I already was used to modifying what I did in game with my keys, and changing it up regularly to suit my needs, maybe it was easier for me to adjust to the game pad. I still love it though.

I use my keyboard sparingly, so it is the cheapest Logitech from Walmart. I am currently trying to decide what I want for a gaming mouse. I use a claw grip but don’t want to put out the extra $40 on the Razr… however the ring finger button and the way I grip the mouse makes me nervous about the G600 and I am not a fan of wireless so not too sure about the 700. I have considered the Razr Naga 2012 would love anyone’s advice on this, it is priced comparatively to the Logitechs.