ranger or thief?

ranger or thief?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: ceg.2587

ceg.2587

hello people,
i am thinking if to start a new thief or a ranger?
the reason i want a ranger is because i wnt to find juveniles-is it that fun?

ranger or thief?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s fun when it happens but it’s a relatively minor part of the profession.

I have both and I like both but I have to say I prefer the ranger. It’s hard to say why exactly, but I have more fun using a mix of traps, pets and condition attacks than anything the thief can do. Although recently I’ve been getting really into a pistol/dagger and dagger/pistol thief.

I know it’s what everyone always says here but it’s true – I think the best option is to try both and see which you like most. Or play both.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

ranger or thief?

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

If you enjoy wvw or pvp just go Thief. If you like PVE then ranger is fine. Enjoy

ranger or thief?

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

This depends on what you want to do, for example Rangers are notoriously bad in dungeons, but theives do ok.

ranger or thief?

Posted by: quickthorn.4918

quickthorn.4918

I’ve got both at 80 and I enjoy ranger more than thief. I actually find thief combat boring because the choice of weapons are so limited and although there are issues, I enjoy playing pet classes. Rangers are more fun in open world pve than thieves IMO. But if you wvw a lot, thief will be considered stronger.

ranger or thief?

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

No, it’s not like some other games. Hunting juveniles you load a webpage guide/image, go to location, acquire juvenile. Juvenile really means nothing, not like raise and train etc. As for ranger, they are hated. Pets are nasty in groups. Poor game mechanics. I usually favor rangers in most games, but far from it here.

Thief is good, though having some nerf troubles atm. Why fix bugs when you can drop the big nerf hammer? A few days ago, thief could participate in any part of the game. I guess time will tell if that has changed. Even so, clear choice is thief over ranger.

Otherwise, warrior, guardian or mesmer, especially if you want to do dungeons. Thief can easily be fourth choice of dungeon groups.

ranger or thief?

Posted by: Moodrich.1093

Moodrich.1093

It all comes down to this.
Daggers, Shortbows, and swords OR
Swords, Greatsword, Longbow, and short bow?

Hooded masks, or Arrow Quivers.

Pet companion, or Stealth?

Start picking at those, see which class you come up with/ want to go for.

ranger or thief?

Posted by: ceg.2587

ceg.2587

thanks everyone! you really helped me decide-thief

ranger or thief?

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

It all comes down to this.
Daggers, Shortbows, and swords OR
Swords, Greatsword, Longbow, and short bow?

Hooded masks, or Arrow Quivers.

Pet companion, or Stealth?

Start picking at those, see which class you come up with/ want to go for.

You forgot pistols and swords. Some combinations in there. I prefer D/D + shortbow myself, in a stealth build with some better than squishy defense. It’s actually more like ranger than ranger is tbh. Then you have pets too, well minions, then they go away when you don’t want them any longer. But if timed right, you can have four minions out at once… though I only use elite slot minions and use the other skill slot for another stealth trigger

Now ranger has GS which I liked, but you just couldn’t shew away the pet. In gw1, I had ranger, pet was replaced with necro minions nec/rng. Here you are forced to use them, triggers when you are hit/ or hit… I don;t recall now since I deleted my ranger. But pet on ~all the time, and groups suffering for it. This game needs an arcane archer imo, good class. No pure archers though even though there are npc archers.

Anyway, don’t worry about stealth early on, push for dps and defense/armor for faster leveling. Shortbow is nice for early-mid lvling. I still use it a lot for farming and building quick stacks. Also really nice for wvw in major skirmishes standing right behind the front line and dodging a lot for stealth effect (racks up kills).

(edited by Daywolf.2630)