returning after more than a year: what to do?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Rhaegar.5120

Rhaegar.5120

After being disgusted by Archage and disappointed by various other MMORPGsI decided to come back to mother GW2.

I’ve already reached LV80 with 2 chars and I’ve already got Exotic gear…what can I do next?

1. I’d like to get back into WvW: what are the main changes?
2. crafting: never done it before…..where do I start? is it worth it?
3. daily quests…..what’s the point?
4. what is the difference between dungeons and fractals? is it difficult nowadays to find groups for dungeons?

am I missing anything? apologies for the barrage of questions!!!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

1. There are a lot of little changes, but the major changes are that rank points are now account bound and each character can be set up differently. Commander tags are now color coded and account bound. Tons of little changes too, including traps that shut down siege.

2. Crafting is a gold sink but if you want to craft Ascended gear, you pretty much need to do it. At least the weapons if not the armor are probably worth it. There are plenty of guides to crafting on the net.

3. Daily quests reward you with both achievement points and laurels. Laurels can be used to purchase ascended trinkets. Guild missions are really good for this too. Guild missions are the cheapest way to get ascended earrings.

4. Fractals are a specific type of dungeon. You’ll make more money running fast regular dungeons, but if you run fractals you’ll eventually have ascended rings for your character without paying for them.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

As to your question about finding a group for dungeons, use your LFG (looking for group) panel. It shows all the people in your same region, NA or EU, who are looking for people to do dungeons, fractals, personal story, living story, and PvP.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Looking_for_Group

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

I’ve already reached LV80 with 2 chars and I’ve already got Exotic gear…what can I do next?

This is hardly anything as I guess you can figure out, most of the people by now have at least 2 chars to lvl 80. a few things to work on in no particular order:

1. World completion
2. Legendary crafting
3. All race/classes to lvl 80
4. Ascended gear (armor, wep, trinkets)
5. APs (Story, collections, Jump puzzles, SW, dry top)
6. Dungeon master (includes not buying Arah)
7. Activities (Crab toss, southsun survival etc.)
8. World boss for farming dragonite and achievs (Teq + wurm)

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

What server are you on, Rhaeger? If you’re on an active WvW server you should just go into WvW and find a friendly guild and ask questions as you go. You’ll pick up on the WvW changes pretty quick running with a solid crew.

(edited by Mo Mo.1947)

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

1. I’d like to get back into WvW: what are the main changes?
I wouldn’t say much has changed in WvW. Not much has changed in the world as a whole. Zerker gear turned into Ferocity gear. Warriors lost some functionality with their adrenaline. Duel-axes is an option now. Guardsword isn’t the end all be all. Rangers got a boost, but are still unimpressive.

2. crafting: never done it before…..where do I start? is it worth it?
That depends, if you want Ascended Gear then yes. If you don’t, then no.

3. daily quests…..what’s the point?
Laurels. If you want something that uses Laurels do your dailies. If you don’t have any use for Laurels there’s no reason to do dailies.

4. what is the difference between dungeons and fractals? is it difficult nowadays to find groups for dungeons?
Dungeons are terrible.
Fractals are fun.

Dungeons were made for the woefully ignorant and designed to torture them with bad mechanics and AI. Some of them are interesting in an eye candy sort of way. Dungeons give 1.2 gold per completions (once). It used to be they gave gold every time you did them, but Anet’s been reducing its game to a grind feste for awhile. Now you only get gold once a day for each path of a dungeon.
Fractals have something resembling a story. I’m not sure whether or not you get gold for finishing a fractal, but you get something like 12 relics and 1 pristine relic from completing them. That’s at the lowest levels. I believe you get more as you scale up, but I already got most everything I want from fractals except some skins. I’ve forgotten a bit now. Fractals have a challenge that feels more like a game. There are things going on and a challenge. You can have fun. You also get something like 6,000 karma for every 10th level of Fractal difficulty or something like this. Don’t do pick-up-groups though. It’s a headache.

Jumping Puzzles are a great bit of fun if you haven’t done them already.

Tequatl is a thing now. 20k karma for killing it, I believe per character. Sometimes it drops ascended gear.

Living Story costs 200 gems. There are 2 new maps from that: Dry Top and Silverwastes. Currently I’d only get Dry Top. Silverwastes is neat, but not as well imagined or constructed.

Legendary crafting… If you are incredibly bored and a little masochistic this is worth your time. Just be advised, after you finish your legendary there’s a burn out period most people go through that may make you leave again for some time.

Lion’s Arch got bombed into the Stone Age. Supposedly it was going to get repaired. Haven’t seen anything come of that.

100%ing the world