total mmo noob questions

total mmo noob questions

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: spankthemunkey.6453

spankthemunkey.6453

hi everybody, if i want to join a guild, do i have to be on the server where the guild is based?. the next 1 is why does it cost 1800 gems to transfer servers?. the last 1 is if i wanted to transfer for free would i have to delete my character, as i am only level 27 at the moment as i have not had much time to play. i dont really want to delete my character.
sorry 1 more how much is 1800 gems worth in real money?
thankyou in advance

total mmo noob questions

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No, you do not.

To keep WvW’s population more stable.

Yes, you would.

About $22.50USD

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

total mmo noob questions

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

The only place where your server really matters is for World vs. World large-scale PvP. In other PvE and PvP game modes, everything is cross server within its region (North America or Europe), so you can join a guild on another server and be perfectly fine except for WvW.

If you want to change servers, deleting all your characters works to let you do it for free. The gem cost is there to keep people from hopping between servers for World vs. World at a whim, which would cause issues with spying and reduce server identity. 1800 gems is $22.50.

total mmo noob questions

Posted by: ArtemisJade.9068

ArtemisJade.9068

Functionally speaking you do not need to be on the same server as your guild to join, however, if that guild is a WvW guild they may require that you join their server so you can WvW with them. (You can only enter your own server’s WvW for obvious competitive reasons.)

It costs a lot of money to transfer servers to keep WvW stable and also to discourage server hopping simply so you can be on the winning team when tourney times roll around.

Yes you would have to delete all characters on your account and their items to transfer for free.

1800 gems is approximately $22.50 however, keep in mind that if you wanted to stay on your current server for a while and level up, you can trade gold for gems. If you farm enough gold you can farm 1800 but it will take a while.

Otherwise if you wanted to join a PvE guild you don’t really need to transfer servers as the PvE portion of the game is on mega servers and you can always catch a taxi if you get placed on a different server than your party of guildmates.

Hope this helps.

To survive this world you must be mad as a hatter. Luckily for me, I am positively insane.

total mmo noob questions

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you do decide to delete your character make sure you put everything that isn’t soulbound in the bank (so your new character can use it) and sell or salvage as much of the soulbound stuff as you can.

Gold and other currencies, and anything else that’s account-wide like achievements, unlocked dyes etc. will be saved automatically.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

total mmo noob questions

Posted by: ArtemisJade.9068

ArtemisJade.9068

Don’t you lose all your bank items if you delete all your characters? Or does your bank remain intact?

To survive this world you must be mad as a hatter. Luckily for me, I am positively insane.

total mmo noob questions

Posted by: Magnnus.5169

Magnnus.5169

It would be useful for playing WvW, but other than that GW2 doesn’t really have servers anymore.

total mmo noob questions

Posted by: Mono.7320

Mono.7320

It’s just giant one megaserver for PvE and PvP but for WvW it rotates with different tiers of servers each week.

total mmo noob questions

Posted by: spankthemunkey.6453

spankthemunkey.6453

hey guys, just want to say thankyou for all the replys, very helpfull indeed.