trying this game out for the first time

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Fydon.5971

Fydon.5971

hi all im going to try the game out to play i like range chars and melee chars, but any suggestions what class is good and balance atm. and thats not to complicated and good for both pve and pvp .. i just want to be happy.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

I suggest Warrior or Guardian for your first character. They’re more forgiving than other classes, with mechanics that are easy to master. They have the added benefit of bring quite popular in dungeon pick up groups.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Yeah same suggestion, war or guard. You won’t have anywhere near the problems as like ranger does with getting into pugs. A bad war or guard is still doable, but a bad ranger is just awful, and the class has been pretty well tainted to most peoples opinions… well other than for people that view the class as godlike longbow archers and remind us by constantly knocking back mobs out of our range hehe.

War, imo, was by far the easiest class to level to 80. You’ll get a feel for the game and how other classes work as well as not take heat for your class choice. And once at cap, you can still be doing really well without pressure for getting ascended gear. Guard is much the same, but lots of utility/support though a little more squishy on avg. Excellent melee support class though, a little more balanced compared to warrior which is a dps monster (like some thief builds, but easier to play).

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Play a ranger if that looks appealing to you. In the beginning you will not be playing dungeons anyway. And no need to avoid a longbow just because of skill #4. Just don’t get into the habit of using it. When mobs close in on you switch to a great sword or a sword, don’t knock them back with #4 on LB.

One of the most exasperated I got when in melee with a sword on my mesmer was when a warrior used knock back on a rifle. I couldn’t help thinking “if you’re that afraid of melee don’t play a warrior”.

Posted by: Slalom.3174

Slalom.3174

I couldn’t help thinking “if you’re that afraid of melee don’t play a warrior”.

All too funny and true. Thanks, Lazuli.
Warriors and Guardians both have knockbacks and use them often. Of course, then they yell, “Rangers, stop the KBs. L2P!” Lol, too funny.

ANET’s and the community’s preferred classes in competitive play are GWEN (Guardian, Elementalist, Warrior, Necromancer).
If you want to be cookie-cutter, choose one of those.

Many players have out-of-date opinions about professions. The Ranger does have issues (mostly around pet AI and control), but there are a wide variety of versatile builds effective in all game environments. Just don’t lock into the LB+GS bear mode.

Finally, good luck and welcome to GW2. Enjoy the game.

“Please accept my text in the jovial, friendly manner that it is intended.”

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Warriors and Guardians both have knockbacks and use them often.

Their KB’s are very weak, you can certainly tell when a ranger uses the LB KB. Generally when a melee uses a KB (which leaves the mob only about a step away) they use it to interrupt a hard hit incoming. Often when a ranger uses the KB, it’s at a totally random point and leaves the mob at enough distance for debuffs (such as blind) to drop. Observation: watch the stacks fall off the mob after a ranger KB, see damage to players increase and damage to the mob decrease. It’s not just dungeons that rangers get skipped over when lfg, but often in openworld settings as well.

I have a ranger (have all classes capped), I don’t even bother with the lfg tool. Generally when I look for a pug, I’ll stand in the area I want to group and flash my GS as I lfg. I have an SB on tap and use a spider for it’s webs. Ranger is a nice class actually, but it is primarily unwanted due to so many bad lb rangers. It’s a GW2 version of a ranger, which imo isn’t very rangery. A d/d SB thief is more rangery imho

(edited by Daywolf.2630)