turning off the skill description

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Sojen.5273

Sojen.5273

Q:

As much a question as a suggestion.

Is there a way to turn off the skill descriptions the pop up when you hover over a skill?

I am not pro enough to use 1-0 the whole time but have played long enough to know what my classes skills do, so yeah. Any help welcomed

WTF is FTW backward

lest we forget o_-

Posted by: Wryog.5073

Wryog.5073

Here’s a better idea: use proper keybinds(I have no idea why anyone would make them 1-0 in the first place).

Wryog [WBC] – elementalist
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

There is no way to turn them off.

On a side note, it’s not a good idea to be clicking each skill or to be using the default keybinds of 1-0.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

To expand slightly on what other people have said it’s not a good idea to click on your skills to activate them because it means you keep having to look at your skill bar instead of what you’re doing (or what other people/NPCs are doing) and you have to stop doing things like moving the camera with the mouse, ground targeting skills or moving with the mouse to do it.

But the default set-up of 1-0 is extremely awkward to use. I didn’t have a problem in GW1 where only 1-8 were used and I could put the skills I used most in the middle so my fingers only had to move a little way each side. But with the attack skills all down one end of the bar it makes it even harder to keep track of where your fingers are whenever you need to move them so you’re very likely to hit the wrong buttons.

There are a lot of different options for remapping the keys and it will probably take some trial and error to work out what’s best for you but here are some common options:

• Using 1-5 and ctrl+1-5
  • Using 1-5 and Q, W, E, R, T (this obviously requires re-mapping the movement keys as well)
  • Using the number pad
  • Using a gaming mouse (particularly an MMO one with a pad of 9 buttons on the side)

I suspect no two people have exactly the same set-up, but the important thing is people who are ‘good enough’ to never need to click on skills/otherwise look at what they’re doing aren’t good at using 1-0, they’ve created a more comfortable and intuitive system for themselves.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I agree with Danikat. I currently use 1234567890 and Shift+12345 also counts towards 67890. This way, if I panic, I can heal with 6, or I can heal with Shift+1. There are a few problems with this method, such as my Decoy is on Shift+2 and my Phase Retreat is on 2, so depending on when I let go of my Shift key, I can actually use both of the Stunbreakers at the same time, but most of the time that doesn’t matter (and it’s actually superbly useful in PvP scenario’s).

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Personally the number pad is my favourite option. Partially because I’ve used the number buttons for skills and then the ones around them for Next Target, Dodge, Weapon Swap and F1-4. I’m left-handed so I’ve also got my thumb on the arrow keys and that gives me pretty much everything I need during combat in one easy cluster. Because there’s only 4 keys in a line and empty space either side it’s easy to keep track of which ones my fingers are sitting on and to reach everything around them.

Anything else I need (mainly moving the camera and calling/taking targets) I can do with my other hand.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Personally the number pad is my favourite option. Partially because I’ve used the number buttons for skills and then the ones around them for Next Target, Dodge, Weapon Swap and F1-4. I’m left-handed so I’ve also got my thumb on the arrow keys and that gives me pretty much everything I need during combat in one easy cluster. Because there’s only 4 keys in a line and empty space either side it’s easy to keep track of which ones my fingers are sitting on and to reach everything around them.

Anything else I need (mainly moving the camera and calling/taking targets) I can do with my other hand.

Now I want a right-handed numpad with arrow keys.