variety of questions

variety of questions

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Kermit.3691

Kermit.3691

I’ve been enjoying GW2 for the most part, and have managed to figure out many of the basic mechanics by a variety of reading tooltips and experimentation – but a few things are still evading me, and I’m wondering if some folk might be able to help nail a few tiny details down

weapon and utility skills – I’m having a hard time determining if I’m in range of my target – the 900 range, 1200 range numbers, while impressive sounding, mean almost nothing – I’ve noticed several of my skills have a tiny red bar down at the bottom of the button – is that by any chance an indicator that they are “in range” or not? or is that something else?

I’ve also noticed that some of my weapons skills will be pulsing/flashing – as they are usually attached to weapons that have a 2, 3 or 4 cycle (i.e. hit the button once it does one effect, hit it again it does a follow up second attack, etc) – I’ve been running under the assumption that the flashing means that it’s currently locked at some point in it’s cycle, but the flashing persists even after combat has ended, right up until my character sheath’s his/her weapon – does anyone have a better, more solid idea of what that flashing indicates, if anything?

Combos – so, I generally understand the two basic principles of combo’s – the combo "fields* like water, fire etc – and then the existence of combo finishers that, I presume, use the fields to get the combo effect (as noted by the firing arrows through a flame wall to get flaming arrow combo procs)

but I’m a tad confused about melee weapon combos – I have lots of combo abilities between my thief and guardian, but how exactly do you proc the melee combos? do I need to perform the combo moves within a field or through a field like most of the projectile combos work? or do I need to wait for target to have a condition on it, like flaming or frozen for the combos to work? Any more detailed guidelines on that process would be helpful

seems like EVERY time I log in with 2 of my characters, I get an auto-invite from some guild – I’m not sure how they tagged it, although I suspect I got friended or something and someone wrote up a little program to auto invite me every time they saw me log in – I want to report them, but I’m not sure who is sending me the invite, or what that report would fall under – spam, harrasment?

gold farmers – I have absolutely no compunctions about reporting them, but I’ve been torn – other games have a report category specifically for Gold Farmers, but GW2 only has spamming and scamming as the most likely categories – does it matter much? I’ve picked spamming as technically if they deliver goods based on their advertisements, I can’t really call it a scam – what have the rest of you been reporting them as? spam, scam or harassment?

thats all for now – any answers or insights to any of those questions would be appreciated

variety of questions

Posted by: Setch.2398

Setch.2398

Yes the little red line is your range indicator. I’m not sure what pusling/flashing is. I assumed it was a bug :P

SOR – [Boss]

variety of questions

Posted by: ozymandias.5317

ozymandias.5317

You are correct on your perception of range, the red bar underneath the ability icons is the range indicator.

The pulsing you are referring to I believe are abilities queued up to cast. Since each ability has a cast time, spamming buttons, as often happens in the heat of battle, will try and queue the next ability to cast. As for it persisting after combat, that is peculiar, unless it is trying to target nearby fauna or some other target.

Melee combos are triggered when the action is performed while standing in a combo field, or it causes you to move through a combo field.

The guild invite I’m not sure about, as far as I’m aware it is impossible to run macros in this game, I would check your guild tab and see if it is a single previous invite that is pending, and just sending you a reminder each time those characters login.

Gold sellers in general Map chat would be considered Spamming, if they target you directly with whispers, it would be harassment.

May your blades stay as sharp as your wit! Let the fools fall.

http://trikktheasura.wordpress.com
or follow me on twitter @trikktheasura
Trikke <Sorrows Children> [SRRW] — Sea of Sorrows

(edited by ozymandias.5317)

variety of questions

Posted by: Kermit.3691

Kermit.3691

thank you both so far for quick responses – I’ll have to pay more attention to those range bars…I only recently noticed them at all

good call on the pending guild invite – it may just be that I keep cancelling the invite rather than refusing it – I’ll have to go delving through the social panel and see if I can coax it into revealing a few more of it’s secrets to me