what class should i do?

what class should i do?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: heero yuy.4057

heero yuy.4057

I just started playing again and I have a level 21 elementalist
i want a class that does similar things to classes i play in other games
for example in wow i play a druid mostly caster and healer but i used to love tanking before blizz ruined it is there any class that is anything like one of the things druids can do?
in TERA i play a lancer but the combat being what it is there will probably be nothing that relates to the lancer playstyle

also i am currently on underworld is that a realm with an active community? iirc i could change home realm once or something (might have changed i have not played for about a year)

what class should i do?

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

GW2 doesnt really have any classes that can" face tank". The combat isnt built around it.

Looking at the comment you mentioned it sounds like you might want to look into a guardian though. Theyre a heavy armor class, a soldier per say with ability to use magic. Most of the magic the guardian uses is for defense purposes. So even though you cant hold guard with your back to a wall while your party kills the boss this might be the closest thing to it :P

what class should i do?

heero yuy.4057

but face tanking is fun… especially if you choose the smallest race so you have this tiny little character TAKING ALL THE HITS IN THE FACE

what class should i do?

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Guardian is a heavy armor class whose niche is frontline support. They throw out protections, heals, and magic damage. Lots of AoE, and most skills have both an offensive effect and a defensive effect.

what class should i do?

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

but face tanking is fun… especially if you choose the smallest race so you have this tiny little character TAKING ALL THE HITS IN THE FACE

I mained a lancer when i played TERA so i know how you feel. But GW2 will require you to be a lot more mobile and to dodge roll. And the exact opposite of a coloring book … make sure you stay outside of the red lines :P

what class should i do?

heero yuy.4057

more like warrior tanking then?

what class should i do?

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

more like warrior tanking then?

You will get destroyed face-tanking… On any class in chaotic, intense situations.
The game’s mechanic is different in regards to combat.

There are No dedicated, Tanks, Healers or DPS roles.
This is a different kind of MMO. =) Which I’d be happy to teach you.

Feel free to add me in game and on Skype.

Skype Username: DreamyAbaddon

Looking forward to gaming with you! ^^

what class should i do?

heero yuy.4057

^ should have made it clear that I meant warrior tanking in tera (warriors tank mostly by not being where the attack is – this makes them harder to master than lancers who tank by standing there and screaming COME AT ME BRO)

what class should i do?

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

^ should have made it clear that I meant warrior tanking in tera (warriors tank mostly by not being where the attack is – this makes them harder to master than lancers who tank by standing there and screaming COME AT ME BRO)

There’s no aggro so trying to dodge tank doesn’t work, it’s just dodging minus the tanking. Which everyone needs to do and isn’t specific to any profession.

Mesmer is probably the dodgiest class though, they have like thirty evades/blocks on everything.

what class should i do?

Posted by: Alacrity.4312

Alacrity.4312

not familiar with druids, or WoW for that matter, but I do believe that an Asuran Necro would appeal to you
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death_Shroud
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lich_Form
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Plague
(except they will no longer be so tiny in those transforms)

what class should i do?

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

My Toughness/Healing Power guardian build can face tank groups of vets/normals easily alone, and can face tank champs quite easily in dungeons. All you need is high sustained heal, high toughness and perm protection. The dodge mechanic is still useful for avoiding CC moves or very high damage moves, but it’s not entirely necessary to dodge a lot.

Of course if you’re using a power/vit/toughness based guardian build like everyone else, it’s hardly surprising it cannot do the facetanking thing, since you’d lose HP faster than you can regain it. Healing power is really underappreciated.

what class should i do?

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

My Toughness/Healing Power guardian build can face tank groups of vets/normals easily alone, and can face tank champs quite easily in dungeons. All you need is high sustained heal, high toughness and perm protection. The dodge mechanic is still useful for avoiding CC moves or very high damage moves, but it’s not entirely necessary to dodge a lot.

Of course if you’re using a power/vit/toughness based guardian build like everyone else, it’s hardly surprising it cannot do the facetanking thing, since you’d lose HP faster than you can regain it. Healing power is really underappreciated.

But are you actually tanking them or are you just not being targeted because the boss is after the other four members of your group?

Try solo facetanking the dungeon champs without a party and see how that goes.