what do you sauggest to help play character

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: winterlove.6834

winterlove.6834

do people watch youtube videos or whats the secret to playing your character real well what would you sugest? I play decent enough but wanted to improve how I play certain characters like a mezmer and a necro I havnt mastered

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

My guild taught me how to play better

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think practice…time spent playing said character.

There is also the profession sub-forums for many tips. You could probably go in there and ask about a certain part you are having trouble with, and get lots of advice. =)

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

I did the following:

-The hard way: Get facerolled by mobs/boss/other players and tried to adjust/practice
-Watch youtube
-Party with PUGs

:)

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

Whenever you die, ask yourself what went wrong.
Try to give a reason why you use a certain skill in a certain situation.

for example, using mesmer GS skill 2 prior to the phantasm (skill 4) is better than the other way around, ask yourself why this is the case.

Some thought provoking quote

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Practice is the main thing IMO.

But I also find it helpful to read the wiki pages for your profession and any relevant mechanics. If you don’t know what your stats and skills actually do you can’t make an informed decision on what to use or how to use it.

You can also watch more experienced players, either in game or via videos. You need to judge for yourself whether they’re actually any better than you and what you can learn from them of course but asking a more experienced guild member to show you the ropes can be extremely helpful.

Reading the professions section of the forum is kind of a combination of those two. You’ll want to avoid topics which are just complaining but ones that actually get into discussions can be extremely helpful.

Alternatively there are websites which will give you cookie-cutter builds and tell you how to use them. They usually work, but the downside is you won’t have the same understanding of how and why they work so you won’t be able to adjust them or make your own as easily.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Go to WvW and play solo or with one other person. Stay away from the commanders (large groups of players), and instead go capture some supply camps and kill enemy players who are scouting or rushing to help their team.

You’ll get lots of small skirmishes… and you’ll have NO CHOICE but to learn your character. It’s like being thrown in the water… you have no choice but to learn to swim.

I thought I knew my engineer well… but I didn’t. I learned lots in WvW.
And my newbie necromancer… even if she’s only level 20, I already learned so much.

PVE is so easy you don’t really get to know your character.

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Practice is definitely the most important thing to get better, having a good build to begin with helps aswell.
Copying what someone does in a video is rarely a good idea, everyone has their own style, what may work for them may not work for you, even if they can take on like 5 players at a time.
You van improve from youtube videos though, just ask yourself what the difference betweentham playing and you playing is, ask yourself why they are so much better than you, maybe they use skills in a certain way, if thats thecase you can try to copy them. But most of the time you just need practice.
I play a shattercat and i have some videos in my signature below if youre interested.

Cheers,
Alissah

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Oh yeah, that’s a good point. Unless you are going the full ‘cookie cutter’ route you shouldn’t expect videos or other players to be able to show you exactly what to do. All they can do is give you ideas – good combinations of skills or traits, tricks that work in certain situations etc.

And if you are looking for a cookie-cutter build and instructions on how to use it be aware that it will only work for specific situations. You can’t learn to speed-run CoF and then assume the same method will work in WvW or even another dungeon as they tend to be very specific.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”