what to do with laurels?

what to do with laurels?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Okay, I’m sitting on 81 laurels. They’re not burning a hole in my pocket, but neither are they doing me any good collecting dust. I’d like to spend them on something, but I’d hate to blow them now only to learn in a week that something I’d rather have bought is being planned. I’m not entirely sure what I should do with them.

I don’t need BiS gear and I don’t run Fractals; I’m perfectly happy with self-crafted exotic trinkets. There’s the possibility ascended gear might be scaled to always be BiS, so in the event of a new tier of gear being layered between ascended and exotic gear a fistful of laurels might be handy. On the other hand, I have five “mains” (six the moment a new race is made playable), so gearing up each of them with ascended gear using only laurels isn’t very practical.

Bifrost is cool, but it’s way down my list of “Legendary weapons I’d like to one day own” so saving them for unidentified dyes isn’t really an issue. I could use the dyes for myself, but I’ve always viewed dyes as something to be collected during the natural course of play, not something to be actively pursued as an actual goal.

I’m stuck somewhere between “having everything I need for my casual-play needs” and “I don’t have anywhere near enough money to get the things I want”. So picking up unidentified dyes or gear boxes with the intent to sell won’t get me very far in my day to one day own a Legendary or six.

There’s the mini-pet, but I’m the kind of guy who would rather have “normal” mini-pets (as they appear in that other MMO) than “silly” ones (cats with monocles, miniature versions of in-game characters, etc).

Any advice on what, if anything, I should do with my laurels.

what to do with laurels?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you’re thinking of having a legendary one day maybe use them to get Obsidian Shards. You need 250 and they’re required for all the legendaries so whichever one you go for it’s worth getting.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

what to do with laurels?

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

nnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooo buy heavy crafting bags, you get 3 certain tier 6 mats from them
1 laurel for 1 bag god you nearly wasted them xD

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

what to do with laurels?

RedCobra.7693

on average you get about 40s per laurel this way

what to do with laurels?

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Well, seems you have convinced yourself not to use them for any of the things you can currently buy with them.

My suggestion is to ignore that you have them. I have over 100 laurels, never spent one yet. I forget I have them until I see a daily with the ‘go visit the laurel chappie’ ..

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

what to do with laurels?

RedCobra.7693

ignore them? are you insane?? the only thing i get is those bags, you can get ascended gear elsewhere, this way you definitely get 16g on average for doing your dailies in a month

what to do with laurels?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Personally I’m saving for both the minis and after that I’ll probably get the Ascended items.

But for now I’m pretty much just ignoring the fact that I have them because it’s going to be a while before I can afford anything I want.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

what to do with laurels?

RedCobra.7693

no no no, the mini chauncy could get you 50g instead, and the obsidian shards can be bought one for a bauble bubble at the moment from SAB got all mine that way

what to do with laurels?

RedCobra.7693

you’d be literally throwing away gold if you do this, dont do it yet though as tier 6 mats are at there low point of its margin at the moment, give it a week

what to do with laurels?

bri.2359

Crafting bags??
Crikey, I get 100’s of of moldy bags in Cursed Shore.
Why would I even consider spending laurels on yet more bags of mats??

Gandara Megaserver

what to do with laurels?

RedCobra.7693

lmao im glad you asked, these bags give you a definite chance of getting 3 expensive tier 6 mats, thats every single time you ope one of the juicy critters

what to do with laurels?

bri.2359

Now imao ..
I get a lot of t6 from those 100’s of moldy bags …
So, I ask again ..
Why would I (or anyone who has access to Orr) even consider spending laurels on yet more bags of mats??

Gandara Megaserver

what to do with laurels?

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

What’s BiS? Have no idea.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

what to do with laurels?

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

What’s BiS? Have no idea.

Best in Slot (BiS).

Buy ascended amulets with laurels. It’s the only way to get them, and they’re worth it.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

what to do with laurels?

RedCobra.7693

okay bri, you stick to that method, orr is probably the worst way to farm gold, old the fools that sit there in that quest chain makes me giggle, like i said those moldy bags are terrible, they hardly ever give t6 mats

what to do with laurels?

RedCobra.7693

yeah rising duck forgot to mention that, ofc you get the amulet first but after that spend laurels for 3 t6 mats per laurel, if you get 3 powerful blood thats 95s right there for 1 laurel

what to do with laurels?

darkace.8925

yeah rising duck forgot to mention that, ofc you get the amulet first but after that spend laurels for 3 t6 mats per laurel, if you get 3 powerful blood thats 95s right there for 1 laurel

From a purely money standpoint, that’s a long stretch. The odds of getting three bloods is .2, if I’m not mistaken. I would imagine the odds of getting an exotic from the equipment box are significantly better than that.

But either way, even if I did get the T6 material bags I’d save them for the Gifts necessary for a Legendary weapon. Like I said, I have everything I need. Everything get at this point is just a miniscule stop towards a Legendary (I play casually, so grinding dungeons and/or Pent/Shelt aren’t my thing).

what to do with laurels?

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I bought the cat. He’s awesome.

what to do with laurels?

darkace.8925

I bought the cat. He’s awesome.

He’s got a monocle. A MONOCLE!!!

/drops to knees while shaking fists dramatically at the heavens.

what to do with laurels?

RedCobra.7693

exactly, ive got everything aswell, so its nice to know that i can keep getting something from laurels, i dont fancy the mini’s i lurrrrrv gold :P and as for the bags, you can have them both :s why isnt that an option

what to do with laurels?

darkace.8925

I suppose I could get each of my characters the laurel gatherings tools, but that would cost a total of 30 laurels just for convenience items. Not a bad option, but not a great one either.