what todo as a returning player (casual)

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Blackfox.9435

Blackfox.9435

Hi

just a little background first.

My original intention was to play GW2 for WVW it was cool at the start but eventually didn’t work out as less players started showing up more and more afternoons were spent running between and capturing small camps and when we did get extra players (working with 2 other guilds) and went for larger targets we would end up getting wiped out by invisible opposing forces.

it eventually it was a bit much and I stopped logging in. (&maybe a little burnout)

the situation now

I was one of the only people donating half of everything I earned to the guild during out wvw groups, logging in now was kind of cool to hear the epic music again and see my old characters but it also seems my guild either kicked me or disbanded (I have no idea how to even check) but I guess that is understandable given I have not logged on since around several months after launch.

I have a few things to keep me occupied for now such as the personal story, I was doing so much wvw I originally I never got around to finishing it.

my weapons are orange & my armor is mostly yellow & a few green I don’t remember how I was meant to be gearing up.

ltdr

do people still do random & group wvw?

I read around that the populations are now low on some servers, should I be looking to change over to a more active(read full) server ?

I recall not particularly enjoying dungeons other than finishing the personal story what is there for me to do ?

I sort of have a feeling I just shouldn’t bother, tell me is it worth coming back and trying it out again?

thanks

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

WvW is mostly done by zergs capturing points, so not much changed there.

One way of getting orange gear is by doing doing dungeons (explorable mode).

As far as I know there are some reports of lesser active servers. But having seen the amount of reports bout servers in GW2 and that of in other games (e.g. lotro) I must say that it seems to be mostly from a minority of people who want to be in a group of 100+ players all the time.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

WvW is mostly done by zergs capturing points, so not much changed there.

thats just not true, i know multiple smaller groups and solo players in WvW, they act as scouts, flippers and general harassers, there is nothing more fun in WvW than picking off people from the back of a zerg as VERY rarely the zerg turns on you you thin out there forces, see where there going etc.

alternatley in a tower, upgraded and with arrow carts and things at the ready you can fend off alot of people in one zerg with even as small as 10 players, you can tell your commander (in the current map) to come to the back of the tower if you have a mesmer, your group drops down zerg portals off and you go to flip the camp/tower they took on the way.

WvW i not just ZvZ, albiet it can definatly seem like that sometimes and there does need to be more incentives for smaller groups, like more points attained or something.

Posted by: Varqov.6984

Varqov.6984

find a guild that is comfortably sized for you. Make sure they focus on what interests you now.

The personal story is pretty interesting and you get a weapon skin when you finish the dungeon.

As Drix stated, WvW is more than zergs. I generally just go in and do whatever. Sometimes I go in with my small guild (5-8 of us in a mini zerg or broken up in groups of 1-4 doing whatever we please), other times I run with a major zerg, other times I just roam around and finish the map and look for small groups to help out.

Don’t get stuck thinking you have to do one thing in WvW or PvE, there are a lot of options. Base what you do on how you feel when logging in. Heck, you can even have multiple guilds – maybe one for PvE and one for WvW.