which class/build to save for tengu?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I’m the kind of guy who can’t play a race/class combination unless it feels “right” to me. So things like sylvari engineers and charr mesmers were never an option. Now obviously tengu haven’t been confirmed, so this is a hypothetical question. Which of the following do you think I should hold in reserve for tengu?

Option 1 – Thief spec’d for “evasion tanking”; lots of dodges, DB evades, and plenty of Vigor. I had a charr thief running this spec, and it was tons of fun. I did delete him to re-roll as an engineer, but I always had the intention to use this build somewhere down the road.

Option 2 – Mesmer spec’d for “blink tanking”; I don’t even know if it’s viable, but I had the idea of rolling a memser with dual swords and tons of clones (with +defense and +damage per clone) and playing in a similar fashion to FFXI’s ninja.

Either option will feel right as a tengu, and both will play in a somewhat similar fashion. I’ll probably be greatly swayed by the tengu’s medium and light cultuarl armor, if and when they’re added to the game. Again this is all hypothetical, but I’m open to recommendations you might have to offer.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Or, they might have new professions with a new expansion. That’s what they did with Guild Wars 1 and I would think it very probable. For example, Factions had Ritualist and Assassins added and Nightfall had Dervish and Paragons.

I don’t know if I would not play a profession now. Waiting for whenever Tengu come out, and if I am still playing at that time, and if they don’t have a profession released that suits the Tengu better than the current ones. I recommend you simply play the game and enjoy it now. The Tengu may not be released for one or two years. You could be playing that profession and enjoying it that whole time. :-)

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Wha, I thought asuran Guardians made perfect sense. A wrecking ball of steel in my eyes.

However, charr necro? ridiculous

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Go Mesmer between those 2 . Tengu mesmers were always a PITA in GW1

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Don’t know about you, but I’m going with a D/D, P/P wielding Tengu thief.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Yeah, I definitely will be building a thief when Tengu becomes available.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Planning on either guardian (hammer) or ele (lightning hammer).

Posted by: Tengu.4209

Tengu.4209

Actually…I could see a Guardian or Warrior going for Tengu…from what we have seen of them, they are heavy hitting (Knockdown) attackers with Asian (READ: Cantha/Samurai) traditions. So Swords/Greatswords I feel like would fit with them. Though I am hoping that the Assassin class makes a comeback for when the Tengu come out…so much hope.

Devona’s Rest – [Tsuk]
Ajini – Thief – Commander

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Dont bet on the Sins return the Thief took its mechanics

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Dont bet on the Sins return the Thief took its mechanics

Yep. Assassins and paragons are gone forever; cannibalized in part or in whole by one or more of the eight professions currently in the game. I wouldn’t bet on ritualists, either, as the engineer inherited (in theory, certainly not in practice) their mechanics.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

There have been reports from dev’s that there will be no new professions. The reason is that they want more control over skills and builds then in gw1. I also don’t see a need for it. The current set of professions is balanced and every playstyle has some very good options (except, healers, tanks and permasins, but that is all explained in the mmo-manifesto).

It is more likely they add a more controlable option like new weapons in an expansion and a new race. I think like the OP has stated, there is a reasonable change it might be the Tengu. They are very possible, they have their own designated (closed off) area and have been fairly developped.

As for wich profession to safe I would say non. It is too unknown and too far away. I’ll prolly reroll one of my ‘double’ races.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!