1600 gems for custom arena

in PvP

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

… so what do you think? I think it is too much for pvp in this game… 500 gems would be adequate

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

that is equivalent to USD20 for a server rental with very little customization options.

i think people will vote with their wallets.

in PvP

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

That is way to expensive for a temporary rental, not mention we have to recharge the arena too..TOO EXPENSIVE.

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

It’s understandable that they would like to begin monetizing sPvP, but they have to be more careful of where they do monetize it. Blocking team’s ability to scrim one another is a bit daring for a game that’s just starting to get recognize in the esports scene.
Maybe take out the starter kit fee, let people create as many servers as they want and give everyone a 1 day token to put into one of their first servers. Then they can choose to buy more time, or if their server is good enough other people will pay to keep it up. Less monetization, more capitalism.

Neglekt

in PvP

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

It should be more like $14/mo imo, which is the monthly fee of MMO’s back in the day before all this F2P crap got popular.

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Yes it is a lot reason being pvpers are generally broke because you can’t a decent amount of gold

in PvP

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

Why isn’t set up so you can just create a game with your friends when you want to play. The person who starts it is the host and choose the customization options and password lock it. But when everyone leaves the game, the room closes. It seems silly to me to even keep a room open 24/7 when no one is even in it. With that said, I honestly don’t think we should have to pay for this feature. I really think it should have been a regular feature of the game from the very beginning. But then again, when there isn’t a subscription fee, I guess we have to pay for some basic features. I will be getting an arena and making sure it stays active though, despite my opinion on the matter.

in PvP

Posted by: JoopFOX.9510

JoopFOX.9510

1600 is too much to be honest for something which most games provide for free. I’d be willing to pay but now it’s for only 30 days… That’s too many gems for too little. 500 would be acceptable if it were to stay 30 days. I’d pay 1600 if I could have the arena permanently or at least half a year or something.

Professor James – Mesmer

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i dun think they can change the gems prices now cos if they lowered it, those who bought at 1600 gems would rage.

then again, they can always compensate by giving them extra custom arena kits right?

maybe can try like this …

Custom Arena Starter Kit
500 = 30 days

give 3 custom arena start kits to those who already purchased at 1600 gems as freebie.

Custom Arena Biannual Kit
2500 = 183 days (save 500 gems!)

Custom Arena Self Sustaining Yearly Kit
4000 = 365 days (save 2000 gems!)
Gets +1 day per day if there are at least 100 unique players per day visiting this server.

so if the server is popular it will become a permanent server.
the 100 unique players per day could be tweaked to a more reasonable number though.

i not sure if 100 is too few or too many.

in PvP

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

They want to make money. And since Arenas are only interesting for a small amount of players(guild leaders and people that want them for training – for normal hotjoin nobody would buy this… you can just play on normal servers or on other’s CA) they just set the price high hoping that small amount of people will still buy it(cause they desperately want it for training).

A normal player(like 99 percent of the players) that is not leader of a guild/group does not need CAs – he does need many other improvements they still have not made yet(cause we want to play all the maps in a tournament-like environment and not the hotjoin which sucks – we need queues for every map).

CA not helping here much. It will fail and a lower price wont’t help that much. I would not even use it if they gave it for free to me(since I’m soloing and if I were in a group to train only 1 of us would have to buy it).

in PvP

Posted by: Xar.1387

Xar.1387

I can spend these 1600 gems, but make this payment permament, so when i’ll not pay for extension, then arena will go in inavtive mode, but not be removed. If 1600 gems will be one time payment, then IMO here’s no problem at all, cause hey – its only one time! But if its going to be deleting in the future, then its a really problem, and huge nonsense, and not fair thing. 1600 once and 480 to extend for 20 days is not bad (ofc would be nice to see lower prices), but more important is the feeling, that when I’ll without cash, then i just dont lengthen arena, and wait for a day, that i can do it (without having to worry that my arena is going to be permament deleted, and i became forced to pay 1600 again).

http://Aiwe.eu
RolePlay/PvP/Raid

(edited by Xar.1387)

in PvP

JoopFOX.9510

Nearly every idea I read here is better than the current system in place. I hope someone at Arenanet reads this and could maybe provide some reasoning.

@Luthan: I think you’re right, sadly. But since these other improvements do not exist yet, “normal” players also need custom arenas to get their fun, or training. In this way, the competitive players who are already competitive and part of a guild/team will only get stronger because of their guild’s CA availability, while semi-competitives and casuals are stuck to horrible matchmaking and therefore further lagging behind. I was hoping to finally use these CAs to teach my newbie IRL friends some PVP, but this is a little too much for them to contribute I’m afraid.

Professor James – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: toad.8652

toad.8652

1600 gems is too expensive but with the laurel and dyes, for a team practicing only pvp, it would never problems.
but yes,too expensive…

Toaddd
Guard Team Champignon

in PvP

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

Tbh i think the price is fine..

20 euros = 4 beers at the pub or 4 packs of smokes/boxes of snus, less than a bottle of nicotine juice(30ml but last about a month anyway i guess)
Get more enjoyment out of the custom arena

And it’s like 20 days is like 6 euros or so, don’t mind it at all especially when you can have friends fillnig it up too..

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

for basic feature we have to pay more than a sub fee from other games
hahahaha

in PvP

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

hahahaha

What other games gives you a dedicated “server” for free`? a server that does not delete itself once it’s empty or can be hosted on your own computer.

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

they will be cheaper soon^^

in beta nearly 80% from this customarenas was empty cause noone used it and it will be the same with this payed arenas in next months.
atm there is some hype cause its new and everyone wanna have one to have one but soon most from them will see they are useless and they buy for nearly half the gameprice nothing they could not do in hotjoins.

yes there are “some” teams which rly need this and for them it is designed/thought but its an “arrow to the knee” from arenanet to bring something like this in there “dieing” pvp scene. this will not bring more teams or players to gw2pvp – wasted resources – again

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

hahahaha

What other games gives you a dedicated “server” for free`? a server that does not delete itself once it’s empty or can be hosted on your own computer.

hello internet friend,
you can host custom arena on your own computer? this is great news, please fwd me the information. also, i don’t see the word “server” anywhere on custom arena description, can you please help me find where this is stated?
thanks,
milo

in PvP

Posted by: chungiee.8764

chungiee.8764

I wish Custom Arena’s could be topped up through Glory… Its really counterproductive that to make money, you have to grind PvE while Custom Arena is PvP content.

Chungie – Aurora Glade (EU)
Highest Rank: Team Q – 33 / Solo Q – 1 (27/07/14)
Team: Svanir Pushing Lord [solo] / Carried Ace to Rank 1 Esport Guild Leaderboard

in PvP

Posted by: shimzor.6057

shimzor.6057

hahahaha

Keep in mind, that it is basic feature for boring game mode without balance. And just to add i cant play my favorite profession (warrior) almost a 6 months now, so why would i pay money for basic feature in unfinished unbalanced and broken game mode?

in PvP

Posted by: MarkusParkus.8467

MarkusParkus.8467

I think the 1600 gems purchase price is fine for original outlay.. but paying per month for it? what the kitten.

Furious Scumbag, Raging Scumbag & Geologist Greywind
[NOX] & [Coma] – Gunnar’s Hold.

in PvP

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

I think the 1600 gems purchase price is fine for original outlay.. but paying per month for it? what the kitten.

I can understand that they want you to pay per time – they want to make money and there aren’t many ways for them to make money with sPvP(especially with sPvP-only players).

I would we the opposite opinion: I think 1600 is a lot – might prevent players new to CA from just trying them for a bit. Especially if you consider that they want to remove inactive CAs.

You should just pay for the time. Like: Remove the starter kit and only let us buy time tokens which can be applied to another CA or open your own CA with that amount of time you bought added. CAs always immediately disappearing after time ran out to free server resources… but this would not be a problem then – since you can just buy new time and don’t need a “big” payment for a new starter kit.

in PvP

Posted by: obverkid.5432

obverkid.5432

I was hoping for 1000~1200 gems for the Starter Kit, but seeing as this is a one-time purchase, 1600 is not that bad. Every next month costs 780gems so around ~10$/10euro which is in-line with other server hosting services. I’d like to see the price of the starter kit go down in the future though. I don’t see why we should pay twice the price of an 1mo extension for creating a new arena.

Also, I belive ArenaNet said that the CAs would not be removed instantly after the time runs out, but rather they’d go into an “inactive” state for some time and would be reactivated once you add more time.

in PvP

JoopFOX.9510

I was hoping for 1000~1200 gems for the Starter Kit, but seeing as this is a one-time purchase, 1600 is not that bad. Every next month costs 780gems so around ~10$/10euro which is in-line with other server hosting services. I’d like to see the price of the starter kit go down in the future though. I don’t see why we should pay twice the price of an 1mo extension for creating a new arena.

Also, I belive ArenaNet said that the CAs would not be removed instantly after the time runs out, but rather they’d go into an “inactive” state for some time and would be reactivated once you add more time.

I want to know how long this “grace” period is before I buy my starter kit though! Does anybody (including ArenaNet people) know?

Professor James – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

i dun think they can change the gems prices now cos if they lowered it, those who bought at 1600 gems would rage.

then again, they can always compensate by giving them extra custom arena kits right?

Custom Arena Starter Kit
500 = 30 days

give 3 custom arena start kits to those who already purchased at 1600 gems as freebie.

Gets +1 day per day if there are at least 100 unique players per day visiting this server.

the 100 unique players per day could be tweaked to a more reasonable number though.

What the hell do I want 2 more servers for if I just bought 1?

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Custom Arena Starter Kit
500 = 30 days

in my example,

2500 gems gets you 183 days instead of 30 days at 500 gems. yes, in my example, the price for 30 days is 500 gems. but at the moment we have a price of 1600 gems for 30 days.

4000 gems gets you 365 days and the server gets +1 day if there are at least 100 unique players per day visiting the server.

in PvP

Posted by: Stof.9584

Stof.9584

Too expensive for casual players, but I guess it is intended for guilds, organized teams and casters/streamers.

In my opinion, it is a poor way to monetize SPVP. As long as SPVP does not give the players the ability to earn gems / gold in SPVP on a similar level to PVE they will not gain a similar income from SPVP as they do from PVE.

This amount of gems basically requires a real money transaction or time spent in PVE.

Desolation EU – Necromancer / Thief
Top 100 Solo Q for a full minute

in PvP

Posted by: ExCode.6370

ExCode.6370

I don’t really see a problem with the pricing. 1600 gems is only a start-up fee. After which, an equivalent of $9 USD per month in gems to upkeep that arena. Not only that, but your guild/team can help support it and others who enjoy playing in it.

It’d be nice to see the upkeep amount be a bit less, but there needs to be some kind of barrier, or everyone is going to have an arena. This keeps less serious/committed players from having one “just to have one”.

With that said, gem requirement means real money or gold. For those who invest a lot in the TP or PvE/WvW a lot, conversion is a viable option. If you’re strictly a sPvP player, you are fairly limited and I think for most, it means pulling out your wallet. In that regard, I see room for improvement/more options.

Stef – Guild Leader of Revel [REV] – Blackgate
http://www.revelguild.com/

(edited by ExCode.6370)

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

hahahaha

20$ upfront and 9$/month is not more than a subscription after 1 month of use. Pretty sure no MMO in existence gives you this feature for free or otherwise either.

Moreover, the upkeep is pretty much free if you have five people who regularly use this thing and do even a slight amount of PvE or otherwise.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

(edited by Vena.8436)

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

Custom Arena Starter Kit
500 = 30 days

in my example,

2500 gems gets you 183 days instead of 30 days at 500 gems. yes, in my example, the price for 30 days is 500 gems. but at the moment we have a price of 1600 gems for 30 days.

4000 gems gets you 365 days and the server gets +1 day if there are at least 100 unique players per day visiting the server.

My point was, I did purchase already and if they compensated me by giving me access to 2 more servers I would have absolutely no use for them. I like the vast majority of your idea, just not that compensation. Rather they give me an equivalent amount of time tokens.

in PvP

Posted by: Tellerion.8102

Tellerion.8102

Custom Arena Starter Kit
500 = 30 days

I would have supported something like this.

No kittening way in hell I’m spending 1600 gems for 30 days.

~~Ayeres~~

in PvP

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

well…1600 gems = monthly sub for other MMO…don’t see much to hate here

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

well…1600 gems = monthly sub for other MMO…don’t see much to hate here

People are outraged because there hasnt been much developed specificly for PvP and now that something has, they have to not only pay $20 but $10 a month thereafter to sustain it. So I agree with you, price is pretty fair.

But others need to think to themselves… do I REALLY need that custom server for yourself? If you have reasons (such as my own, my PvP team uses our server to practice and hold scrims) chances are good that you are willing to pay the money. I would fancy to guess the people complaining were all hoping to create some awesome server that everyone would love and populate without having to pay for it. Guess what, if arenas were cheap then everyone would have a server and none would be populated.

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Just to clarify:

It’s actually significantly cheaper than a sub fee. The $20 you spend is the initial cost. It could also cost $10 + Gold, or no money at all if you have enough gold.

Once you have a server, it costs 480 gems for 20 days, 960 for 40 days, 1440 for 60 days. That’s less than $10/mo if only one person is supporting the server. Anyone can apply time to servers. Also, don’t forget you can convert gold to gems.

in PvP

Posted by: Siric.3589

Siric.3589

You’re missing the point. sPvPers don’t have gold income as there is no way to change our curency (glory) into gold at any decent rate. So you are punishing the hardcore PvPers… who happen to be the ones who will most likely want to buy arenas.

On the other hand, people these shouldn’t be cheap. Not everyone is supposed to have a CA and $10 a month isn’t hard to support as a guild.

[LR] Siric

in PvP

Posted by: savov.3712

savov.3712

Just to clarify:

It’s actually significantly cheaper than a sub fee. The $20 you spend is the initial cost. It could also cost $10 + Gold, or no money at all if you have enough gold.

Once you have a server, it costs 480 gems for 20 days, 960 for 40 days, 1440 for 60 days. That’s less than $10/mo if only one person is supporting the server. Anyone can apply time to servers. Also, don’t forget you can convert gold to gems.

Don’t want to sound rude, but how exactly are you making gold from PvP?

in PvP

Posted by: Nemiros.3590

Nemiros.3590

Anet makes money from microtransactions. You cant expect them to give you services for free. This is a fair price, you cant expect your custom server to just be given for free. I sound like an anet rep lol, but its the truth

in PvP

Posted by: Kline.9561

Kline.9561

Just to clarify:

mmmmm sry but i disagree with this clarification about gold to gems
because currently there is no reliable way for a pvp’er who has no interest in pve to gain gold to convert.

you give me zaishen keys next patch then we can talk

overall your point about it being cheaper is true, but keep in mind you are providing something a lot of games provide for free.

I think you guys need to have a pvp focused cash shop if you plan on making pvp more financially viable. have a meeting one day and come up with a list of things you think would be neat to sell, then hit up the community with the list and see what they think.

And before says my build doesn’t work, when Ele’s get nerfed it will be -Schwahrheit

in PvP

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

It made more sense when you could earn gems from tournaments. I still wish that even with free tournaments you earned 1-10 gems per victory.

Call me Smith.

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

Just to clarify:

Don’t want to sound rude, but how exactly are you making gold from PvP?

^This…hey Allie, how about focusing on this. I’ve been exclusively playing pvp in this game and have literally no median of exchange outside of glory.

in PvP

Posted by: Nasedo.5349

Nasedo.5349

“You’re missing the point. sPvPers don’t have gold income as there is no way to change our curency (glory) into gold at any decent rate.”

I think you miss the point, because in other games (Counterstrike, Minecraft,…), clans / guilds / people pay money for their servers, too.
Can you rent a Minecraft Server with Gras-Blocks? No, you have to pay real money for a server.

Why is it such a problem for you, to rent a server in GW2?

in PvP

Posted by: Nasedo.5349

Nasedo.5349

Why is it such a problem for you to rent a GW2 Server like any Server in other games?!
It’s normal to pay money, if you want to have a game server (CS, Minecraft,..).
It’s just a gift from ANet to us, that we can change gold for the server costs.
Or can you rent a minecraft server with gras- blocks?

(edited by Nasedo.5349)

in PvP

Posted by: Matty.1953

Matty.1953

Why is it such a problem for you to rent a GW2 Server like any Server in other games?!
It’s normal to pay money, if you want to have a game server (CS, Minecraft,..).
It’s just a gift from ANet to us, that we can change gold for the server costs.
Or can you rent a minecraft server with gras- blocks?

Oh cmon, this really isn’t the same thing. If it was, we would have the option to host servers ourselves.

Whilst crudely written and rudely put, I agree with Adam’s point.

in PvP

Posted by: Xar.1387

Xar.1387

Just to clarify:

Ur right. Ofc would be nice to have a chance to make a gold on playing PvP.
But here’s one important thing, that should be explained:

We know, that if we dont pay for PvP Arena, then it goes inactive, and after some time its going to be deleted. But how much time do we have, to active it again?

And otherwise, suppose thats some time to active it again, and what if ill active after few days for 1-5 days, and do I reset this grace period by doing it?

http://Aiwe.eu
RolePlay/PvP/Raid

in PvP

Posted by: Tellerion.8102

Tellerion.8102

I would understand the pricing if the custom arenas offered more, but honestly they are quiet limited at the moment.

Also, out of curiosity, are you able to share the ownership of a server with your fellow contributors? Considering it seems like a group project buying and sustaining a server it would be only fair having more people in charge of it.

~~Ayeres~~

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Do you need a Custom Server? No
Do you want a Customer Server? Yes

You can always play ball at the public park, but if you want your own hoop at home then it ain’t free. IMO, that cost for CA is reasonable. Not everyone needs their own server, and the cost to maintain it can easily be shared. Likely it will be shared anyways unless you like to play alone.

Can you make money in sPVP? Yes
Do you need money in sPVP? No

Use your glory/chest to make dyes. Sell it for gold. I’ve made enough to get toys and character expansion slot. Its not the same as farming PVE CoF, but as a PVPer you have very little need for gold. The gear is all free.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

in PvP

Parisalchuk.9230

You can always play ball at the public park, but if you want your own hoop at home then it ain’t free. IMO, that cost for CA is reasonable. Not everyone needs their own server, and the cost to maintain it can easily be shared. Likely it will be shared anyways unless you like to play alone.

Use your glory/chest to make dyes. Sell it for gold. I’ve made enough to get toys and character expansion slot. Its not the same as farming PVE CoF, but as a PVPer you have very little need for gold. The gear is all free.

The issue is that a Dev just came in here and told PvPers that it is perfectly viable for us to pay for an arena with in game gold. Im sorry but your not going to make enough money selling dyes to covert into gems to get tokens to pay for an arena by yourself.

I dont mind the price, I have an arena and I will pay for it for my team, however the opinion that this Dev seems to have that we should be happy because we can convert gold to gems is way off base and makes it seem like they dont actually live in the “real” (in this case in game) world.

in PvP

Posted by: cuge.5398

cuge.5398

I dont get why ppl are complaining so much….. it was expected, and actually i’m glad they are starting to think of some ways to get pvp into their budget, cause this is sure, if pvp doesnt give them any money they wont invest on it. Gaming its a passion, but its also a business, dont forget it, actually these arenas are not something that you cant play without, so its way way way less imposing than a monthly fee, and even if it was, its still cheap, cause assuming a team is getting their personal area for training it will cost them 4€ for a month, and its not like they need it every day or every month, you can still play without.
90% i’m gonna get one for me and my friends, the only thing that could (and should) really be improved its the option customization… for example to be able to set the score gain from a point capture, from holding it and of secondary objective, this would also be good for them for some indirect testing, cause ppl could try some different pvp formulas on their own arenas and if they get a good feedback its good news.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Just to clarify:

And don’t forget we’re talking about PVP and we earn NO gold here ouside random dyes and we still have a kittenload of glory worth nothing. Isn’t that meant to be pvp world’s currency like gold and karma in pve wvsw? Or al least you guys said that when explained games features during betas.

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

+1

I make a lot of gold of dyes. Sometimes I wonder how may pvper even take the time to craft dyes and sell them.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage