1vs1 balance is hard, Rock/paper/scissor easy

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

At least how I see it. If it’s rock paper scissor in a game. Then say a team with rock vs a team with scissor, rock is going to always win, no matter what happens. It’s made to be imbalanced like that. The smaller the team, the higher chance of having something that counters you and eats you into the ground.

Having a 1v1 balance will make it so that you are able to match whatever is thrown at you. If 1v1 is balanced throughout all classes for a game. Then it comes down to actual cooperation for a team match, because everyone is on equal ground, not if everyone can smash the other person because they’re the right class.

This is assuming they’re all at the same skill level.

Now to do this is in reality, very very very hard. It is easier to cop out into doing a rock paper scissor system as opposed to actual 1v1 balance.

No one likes to get beaten by a keyboard turning clicking baddie just because his class is better in a 1v1 fight. NOBODY

Hatred and frustration on the forum are a clear indication of what people like and dislike about competitive games.

The main AD for this game was : Play the way you want and that turned to be an outrageous kittening lie.

Choosing the path of least resistance…amazing work ethic..

P.S wanna know why you struggle with your gamemode?….because people bloody hate to be killed by 3 button wonder builds against which their profession can’t do nothing about..food for thought

(edited by Supreme.3164)

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

To have a strong build you have to make some sacrifices. Therefore you will have a counter. Unless the game is so vanilla that everyone has the same thing, there will always be some professions that don’t 1v1 well against others. If your class has too high of a skill ceiling either l2p better, or play what the keyboard turners are running. You might find out they have weaknesses too.

in PvP

Posted by: FiveGauge.1357

FiveGauge.1357

Conquest is all about strategically planning and enforcing the matchups in your team’s favor.

If the enemy has a class that counters a class on your team, then you need to succeed as a team at either shutting it down with other counters, or just jetting to a point opposite of the guy trying to force a matchup in his favor.

It’s not just out of your hands if somebody logs in a profession that has advantaged fights against you.

in PvP

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

No one likes to get beaten by a keyboard turning clicking baddie just because his class is better in a 1v1 fight. NOBODY

Hatred and frustration on the forum are a clear indication of what people like and dislike about competitive games.

I concur with these thoughts, but I think GW2 is too far in the opposite direction.

There’s a heap of twitchy leetdoods who obliterate mediocre players (neither keyboard turners nor speedball popping lunatics). The proliferation of these twitchers means that PvP is not as popular as a part-time endeavour among the PvE players as I’m sure Arenanet would prefer. New PvPers can’t appreciate clever plays you are pulling off. It’s too difficult to see & understand. Hence ProLeague fail and jokes about Lols eSports.

I think the term is “inaccessible”.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I concur with these thoughts, but I think GW2 is too far in the opposite direction.

There’s a heap of twitchy leetdoods who obliterate mediocre players (neither keyboard turners nor speedball popping lunatics). The proliferation of these twitchers means that PvP is not as popular as a part-time endeavour among the PvE players as I’m sure Arenanet would prefer. Hence ProLeague fail and jokes about Lols eSports.

I have to concur but this is an issue with MMORPG’s in general. A lot of it is passive, flashy, play styles. It’s either incredibly boring like WoW’s Heal + DPS style or you have that bad-habit MMORPG style of passive & flashy game play.

There’s never been a moba style rpg because, only 5 skills from lvl 1 to 80 could get boring fast. That said, if PvE was competitive/fun then it would never be boring. GW3 should emphasize a moba-style Skill Set (not gameplay). Just limiting flashy and passive gameplay while having skill shot abilities that actually require timing and aim. PvE would be challenging and Conquest would be something to watch.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I wonder if we really should balance in mind for 1v1’s because well we’re playing conquest. There is more to conquest then just 1v1 and while 1v1’s are important there are other aspects that are important like other match ups (1v2, 2v2, 4v4) and ooc utility (group stealth, mobility, portal,…. ). Focussing on a single aspect will simply not work (necro focussability will not be solved by 1v1 balance).

EverythingOP

in PvP

Posted by: Ominous.8702

Ominous.8702

At least how I see it. If it’s rock paper scissor in a game. Then say a team with rock vs a team with scissor, rock is going to always win, no matter what happens. It’s made to be imbalanced like that. The smaller the team, the higher chance of having something that counters you and eats you into the ground.

Having a 1v1 balance will make it so that you are able to match whatever is thrown at you. If 1v1 is balanced throughout all classes for a game. Then it comes down to actual cooperation for a team match, because everyone is on equal ground, not if everyone can smash the other person because they’re the right class.

This is assuming they’re all at the same skill level.

Now to do this is in reality, very very very hard. It is easier to cop out into doing a rock paper scissor system as opposed to actual 1v1 balance.

The main AD for this game was : Play the way you want and that turned to be an outrageous kittening lie.

Choosing the path of least resistance…amazing work ethic..

P.S wanna know why you struggle with your gamemode?….because people bloody hate to be killed by 3 button wonder builds against which their profession can’t do nothing about..food for thought

TL;DR at the end.

Here’s the thing. You’re not wrong about anything in particular, but you are over-simplifying one thing: class balance. Again, you’re not “wrong.” In theory, a game with real 1v1 balance WOULD be less of a dagger up the kitten than the way the game is now. BUT, and I’d argue this is true of any MOBA/MMORPG, where the classes are expected to be unique and different from one another, balancing while keeping the classes different, is nearly impossible.

Now, I’ll grant you, Anet is probably one of the kittentiest game Devs when it comes to PvP balance. Their idea of balance is, in my opinion, nothing short of a tragic comedy. But even the best MOBA/MMORPG devs will tell you that keeping classes/characters unique, fun, and fresh, while balancing them in a 1v1 scenario has proven to be pretty much unrealistic. The simple fact is, the more interesting and unique an ability is, the harder it is to balance it because it’s so much more than just numbers: math just doesn’t cut it.

TL;DR, Yes the devs promised us build diversity, but it’s bullkitten in this game, just like pretty much every other game. You either get depth and diversity, or you get class/ability balance: you do not get both at the same time in the same game. Also the Anet PvP devs in particular suck monkey balls when it comes to class balance.